• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Defensive Combat Odds

cabbagemeister

Please wait...
I would love to be able to see combat odds for my unit on defense--that is, the combat odds for the other civs if they attack me in my current position. For instance, if Orthus is approaching my Combat 3, Shock warrior fortified on a forested hill, I want to know if I should stay and chance a fight, or if I should run like a little girl. If Orthus' odds against me are ~25%, I want to stay because I know I'll do some damage to him and I can maybe finish him off with other warrior next turn. If my odds are ~3%, I should run because I might not touch him at all.

Obviously this is really an issue with the base Vanilla game, but I figured that since the FFH team are programming GODS they might be able to do something about it. If alt-mouseover gives normal combat odds (attacking), can't the team program in something like ctrl-alt-mouseover gives defensive combat odds for the best attacker in the enemy stack attacking the selected unit? That would be extremely cool.

(Boy will I be embarrassed when someone tells me that this is already in the game....)

Well, you can get a general idea if you add up the numbers:

3 str warrior
+ 75% terrain = ~ 2.3
+ Combat III = ~ 1
+ 25% Fortification = ~ 1
= ~7.3 str

After a battle, you can also view the odds of the attacking unit against your own. Just hit ctrl-tab and find the battle you want to see.

The cobat log gives the odds afterwards, but deciding which of the units that could possibly attack to display the odds for would be hard, and there are always unseen enemies.

I would, however, would like to see a concise pop-up during combat of the odds against or in favour.

Let's see...you'd need to be able to mouse over the enemy stack to see their odds of attacking...what? Might be a large number of your units in the area, and then which of those units would you want to check up on? For instance, I might have a stack of warriors with Hyborem charging around. Now, unless these are really, really beefy warriors, I won't be able to see the combat odds of the warriors getting attacked should I want to move Hyborem elsewhere. Then there's the matter of which of the enemy units are you wanting to check on. They might have a stack of any number of units with all sorts of different properties. By default, their strongest defender against what you've got selected will appear on top, but that's not the same as they're strongest attacker. You'd need to be able to select the enemy units and sort through their stack, and then you're still left needing to choose what unit this enemy unit is supposed to be attacking....ouch.
Yeah, I'm making it more complicated, but if it's going to be really useful, this is what it needs to do. I'm not sure if even our resident code gods could pull this one out of their divine code orifices.

Top Bottom