Desync issues in MP

Hi Viper long nick name.

I agree with you to disagree. I didn't write down specifically what I meant to say.

Of course it's not a CPU/GPU issue.

What I meant to say, is that it's an issue that seems to be triggered more often or less based on CPU/GPU or any other performance issues like memory or chipset.

Error Correction features of modern chips make sure it's not a performance issue itself.

But the tests we've made point out that it's triggered by performance issues.

So it can be anything really. if it's true it's there since civ3, then my best shot would be the scripting involved in the games.

the main core of any game engine keeps the c++ on one computer in sync with the c++ on the other computer.
by exposing all kinds of variables to a scripting language however you can tweak the memory of a program from the outside by the script.

if these changes don't trigger events fast enough on 1 computer it might happen the other one is already passed that moment.

For that you have checks inside the game core but with scripting? I don't know exactly how they handle this with scripts to keep
everything in sync.

I know how it's done in c++ but I always hated every single script language :)

Anyway, there's nothing to agree or disagree on user experience really. Everyone has a different experience.
In our experience it's triggered more often on larger maps, more civs, etc. (thus higher demand on computing power)

might as well be also that it triggers simply more often because you have more objects.

Maybe somewhere a null pointer .. on a few objects not much to risk.. a null pointer on 100.000+ objects might cause severe damage..

So who knows what it is. Fact is, this bug is out there since ...

and they do refuse to fix it. And that's something terrible not?

Selling your stuff to people, keep releasing new titles, expansions for more money, while the 1 killing bug is never being dealt with.

I hope firaxis will fix this one. I love MP games, but with a desync so often it's not a nice experience.

Top Bottom