1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Devs discuss AI, World Congress and other things

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by acluewithout, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Uncle_Joe

Uncle_Joe Chieftain

My experience with Civ4 is that didn't 'cheat' outside of the handicap bonuses provided by the Difficulty Level. So yeah, it could have better production/tech/lower upkeep etc. And yes, it could start with additional units/techs on higher Difficulty Levels but all of that was 'above board' and easily visible in the settings file.

It did not just 'create units out of thin air' or award itself techs at various times. With high enough espionage you could easily verify all of what an AI was doing (what it was producing, what it was researching etc). You could keep tabs on what they were doing and how quickly quite easily.

Now if you're going back to Civ1 (and maybe 2), then yes, definitely the AI was not playing the same game the player was (however good the illusion). But Civ4 was a step up from that and it still played a very credible game by the end with BTS AI. Did it make mistakes and do dumb things? Of course. But it kept you on edge and many many times you would get very interesting wars with Civs who were technologically equivalent and competent enough to be a threat.

Civ5 did this a bit in the first expansion but the 2nd expansion made it much more passive IME. I never played with the full 'Community Patch' AI so I don't know what the final result was. But Civ4, to me, was the pinnacle of the AI in the Civ series. It played by the same rules (other than the known handicaps) and still played well enough to keep the game interesting.

Elhoim, Jkchart, Zuizgond and 2 others like this.
  2. CivLuvah

CivLuvah Warlord

If you ask me, Civ 5 upon release fits that description more. Does anyone remember how incredibly incomplete it was?

Zuizgond likes this.
  3. Jkchart

Jkchart Chieftain

I think they meant in IV and lower the AI receiving extra units for free as the game progresses. I do recall having seen suspiciously large stacks materialize out of nowhere in IV periodically, but really I don't think it was cheating that bad in IV. But of course, I have also seen battles that have had a couple hundred units on each side including my own, and with FOW obscuring things, that doesn't help.

III and earlier though...

4. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Warlord Supporter

Yes, the general consensus seems to be that this was what the dev meant. However, to the best of my knowledge, the AI didn't actually receive extra units for free as the game progressed in any prior version of Civ.

I may be wrong about this, but Gedemon seemed to sum up the known situation rather well here:
    https://forums.civfanatics.com/thre...-and-other-things.647591/page-2#post-15508283

Jkchart likes this.
  5. Jkchart

Jkchart Chieftain

Thanks! Yeah I think Gedemon is spot on here

Trav'ling Canuck likes this.
  6. jozef57

jozef57 Chieftain

i really started to love civ 6 gs is /was fantastic i found this dev team the best ever, but since the last chances the game just anoyes me all the time every time