DG 5.5: The Interregnum

Octavian X

is not a pipe.
As you all know, we're now working through that infamous period-between-the-games. This has tradtionally been a time of great boredom for those only wishing to play the game, those with a tendancy to dislike such things as the judicial branch of government. :p

Therefore, in an attempt to gather some interest in the game, I hereby initiate:
DG 5.5: The Interregnum.

This game is something like democracy game/sucession game hybrid. We'll create a list of willing players to serve as Presidents of the game. Each President will play 10 or 20 turns, in either a closed or open session (their choice). After those turns are played and a summary is posted, the next President on the list will play.

Yes, I know this sounds like an succession game, but bear with me. The President will have to follow general policy set by his two Advisors. The Advisors will be chosen simply - one will be the previous President on the list, and the other will the next President on the list (the designated Advisors, of course, could also appoint someone else to fill in if he's unable to fulfill the role).

The Advisors use discussion and polling to to get an idea of how people want the game to head, in very broad terms - they are to avoid giving specific instructions. The President, then, is expected to follow these instructions.

Given the short time period this game is expected to last, we'll have to shorten the game - perhaps we could use one of the Conquest scenarios?

Except for game information, those are the details - any takers? :D

Unfortunately I don't have Conquests, so I'm out. But I would like to complement you on your usage of "interregnum". I love that word.

This is a very cool idea. If I weren't in the dungeon at work all the time it might be nice to join int, but as it is I haven't opened the game in a week or so...

Good luck, we're all counting on you to provide a needed entertainment venue. :D

Oct - Why don't you use this as a brief C3C test game? Get two or three or four players to post their turns here in an open game. One player, who believes in begining the game with tight builds can open that way. Another, who doesn't can place their cities in a more spread out version. Most appropriate worker actions could also be witnessed, things of this nature.

This would allow people without C3C to watch the flow of the game (because of it's open and brief nature, players would post screenshots and explanations of their actions) and could have a justification for their opinions.

Each President would be the lone player for their nation and would not need to follow Instructions. When their turn came up, they take the save, play it and report their move with a screenshot. The rest of us would watch the game progress, turn by turn. We'd not only be able to see some of the favorite nations available, but the different strategies used by the players (and why the chose them). The game would only last as long as we needed it to (just prior to tribe polls and office elections).

A totally open game of C3C showing us the early development of different nations. We could examine the point totals as the game progressed and compared them to the strategies and reasonings of the players.

(Sorry for the delay - schoolwork and whatnot...)

Anyway, that's the idea, Cyc. Trying to get some experience with C3C for some of those either without it or simply used to using Vanilla.

Well, I didn't mean players playing after one another with the same tribe. I meant that each player would have their own tribe and actually be moving through the same history on the same map. An open multi-player game. Can you do that with C3C? If so, can we run a totally open game?

Cyc said:
Well, I didn't mean players playing after one another with the same tribe. I meant that each player would have their own tribe and actually be moving through the same history on the same map. An open multi-player game. Can you do that with C3C? If so, can we run a totally open game?

Yes you can. Each player countries a different nation. You can do this using PBEM (play by email - really slow) or simultaneous turns (everyone online at the same time).

blackheart said:
Yes you can. Each player countries a different nation. You can do this using PBEM (play by email - really slow) or simultaneous turns (everyone online at the same time).
Or in the case of a totally open game, you could just post the save with your summary and screenshot. That way it's always available to the next player. I can't see using email or PM when we're going to see what you did anyway. It will be no big secret.

Cyc said:
Or in the case of a totally open game, you could just post the save with your summary and screenshot. That way it's always available to the next player. I can't see using email or PM when we're going to see what you did anyway. It will be no big secret.
yeh PBEM works for posting files... it was intended for email but it works anyway u can get a file to another person(we could have someone run it across the world)

:D If you're volunteering for that BH, I'll pack your lunch!

Well, as this has been proposed by Octavian X, who brings forth this idea in between every Demogame and we haven't played one yet (similiar to Provo's Postmaster game), if it does get started, it will be a while - meaning a very short game.

Cyc said:
Well, as this has been proposed by Octavian X, who brings forth this idea in between every Demogame and we haven't played one yet (similiar to Provo's Postmaster game), if it does get started, it will be a while - meaning a very short game.

I know, I know. I figure if I keep on trying something will come as a result of these efforts. That's the same optimism that keeps bringing me back to this forum each day. :p

Top Bottom