War of Spanish Succession / Great Northern War scenario idea

civ2units

Emperor
I like the map I used in 'Age of Reformation' and have been thinking about what time period would also work well on this map.

The War of the Spanish Succession and the Great Northern War both took place in the same period, which already covers a large part of the map. Queen Anne's War covers what happened in the New World and the Caribbean experienced its golden age of piracy. Here I can take some elements from 'Age of Reformation'.

I have already created a rough unit list. Each playable nation can recruit musketeers, grenadiers, dragoons, cavalry/cuirassiers and artillery. Marine units are listed too. Among other things, I would like to use fire ships and bomb vessels. Fire ships will have similar characteristics to cruise missiles from the vanilla game. For the bomb vessels as well as the mortars on land I would like to use the 'Range Attacks' function.

Overall it will be a similar game to 'Age of Reformation' only with a smaller research tree but more focus on the two wars.

The following screenshot showing Spain at the start of the scenario.
1709928301753.png

The next one showing the Baltic region. At the start of the scenario, Poland is controlled by the Neutral civ. Playing as the Habsburg Alliance, Sweden or Russia will unlock the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth for the player.
1709930238340.png

The Golden Age of Piracy in the Caribbean. I'm planning to use three major pirate ships (Royal Fortune, Whydah and Queen Anne's Revenge) who will patrol within certain areas.
Maybe it would be possible to write a script via lua that these flagships will only attack other ships.
1709930613073.png

The next one showing the Baltic region. At the start of the scenario, Poland is controlled by the Neutral civ. Playing as the Habsburg Alliance, Sweden or Russia will unlock the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth for the player.
View attachment 686205
Tallinn, Klaipeda, Kaunas in the 18th century, seriously? It is probably worth turning to the history of Eastern Europe in more detail. )

Currently the city names, especially those from the New World and Eastern Europe are not finally and will be replaced by suitable ones from the time period if necessary.

Currently the city names, especially those from the New World and Eastern Europe are not finally and will be replaced by suitable ones from the time period if necessary.

In the presented screenshot of the map, it would be most logical to name the city not Memel (Klaipeda), but, for example, Libau.

During the historical period you selected, the Grand Duchy of Courland existed on this territory. De jure - a vassal of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth. De facto - an independent state. Shortly before the outbreak of the Northern War, it reached the maximum prosperity in its history, and owned colonies in Tobago and at the mouth of Guinea. The capital of the duchy was located in Mitau. However, it is too close to Riga. Therefore, in order to somehow highlight the duchy on the map, it is better to choose the largest port (Libau) as the capital of the region. Starting from the 30s of the 18th century, the duchy participated in the internal politics of the Russian Empire (under Biron). Perhaps you could play up this important role in the story using Lua events.

The city of Memel is clearly redundant on the map, as it is just a run-of-the-mill minor Prussian city. This kingdom is already more than sufficiently represented on the map by the city of Königsberg.

I would like to add a bit more strategic touch to this scenario. Of course not as much as in the WW2 masterpieces made by @JPetroski, @tootall_2012 and @techumseh, for this I simply don't have the necessary programming knowledge.

I was thinking about using the ranged attack feature for artillery and warship units. Would it be possible that the AI can use this feature too in some way?

Given the scale of the map, ranged artillery seems a bit unrealistic. Another option is to have artillery that bombards adjacent units without loss to itself. If you combine that with partial combat losses so that the defender is not necessarily completely destroyed, it might meet your requirements. If not, Tootal used AI units firing ranged munitions in Battle of Italy.

The possibility of having artillery who bombards adjacent units sounds interesting. That makes indeed more sense than using the range attack function. This would also make sense for naval units like the Bomb ketch or Ship of the Line.

Would it be easy to implement this function? Unfortunately I can only add and change simple codes like city changing, text messages with pictures and units spawning.

Top Bottom