Difference between deity and immortal

crdvis16

Emperor
I've been winning more consistently in my immortal games and was thinking of maybe bumping up to deity. Does anyone know off hand how the difficulty bonuses change for the AI between immortal and deity? Or can point me to where the bonuses for the AI are laid out? Just interested in knowing what I might expect to feel different if I bump up next game.

A big difference in the early game is the date to build wonders or get a religion by. Sometimes you have to change your tech order, like if you want Hanging Gardens you no longer can pursue trapping before hand.

With religion, some strategies don't really work. Many pantheons cannot found unless your civ has early game to support it.

A big difference in the early game is the date to build wonders or get a religion by. Sometimes you have to change your tech order, like if you want Hanging Gardens you no longer can pursue trapping before hand.

With religion, some strategies don't really work. Many pantheons cannot found unless your civ has early game to support it.

Understood, thanks! I think I should be ok with those.

A month later...

How is deity going for you, and what is your own experience of it compared to immortal? I'm thinking of bumping up a level too so I'm curious to know.

A month later...

How is deity going for you, and what is your own experience of it compared to immortal? I'm thinking of bumping up a level too so I'm curious to know.

Eh, so-so. My first foray was with Carthage. I thought I was doing OK going for a diplo win until Ethiopia won a tourism vic on turn 280(!). I'm told that's exceptionally early even for deity- he was on another continent and built like 90% of the wonders, was ahead in tech the whole game, and the only thing I could do to try to slow him down was WC stuff that just wasn't enough. Funnily, I was probably 10 turns or so away from a diplo win as I'd already passed UN and world ideology (thanks to Ethiopia unlocking those proposals with his tech lead) and likely had enough votes for world leader.

Next game was Ottomans but after a few attempts at deity didn't pan out I dropped down to Immortal and immediately won handily, so I kinda wish I hadn't given up on deity with them.

Then I played Venice and figured they have enough challenge even at Immortal and I was right- it became clear I would lose around turn 300ish. Deity would have probably been even tougher.

Current game is Indonesia and I'm back on deity. So far it's been clear sailing so we'll see- maybe it'll be my first deity win.

It's hard for me to even tell what the differences are between Immortal and Deity to be honest. It's probably a lot of little things that just add up. I think there's less room for error when going for wonders, for instance, but I typically only build a wonder if I was specifically going for it and beelined it which seems to work ok at deity.

I think you probably get punished worse for things like neglecting your military, too. I think playing Immortal I know what I'm supposed to do but if I get lazy or careless I might get away with it, but at deity you get punished more often.

Top Bottom