different bugs, glitches and flaws

ash88

Hail to the King Baby -DN
This seems to be a good thread where things are coming together. I am posting some of the issues I have found so far in a spirit of wanting the game to get over the "initial hump" as soon as possible. I'm disappointed by the state of the game, but optimistic about it's future. If some of these are duplicated it is in the hope that I add useful information.

1) Cavalry don't upgrade and become fairly worthless in the modern/future era.

2)* You are forced to adopt a new policy even if you have completed 6 - 7 policy trees. This causes you to lose all of your policies as the trees are not able to be active at the same time. You have to switch back and forth between policiy trees. Switching from Piety to Rationaliam gives you a golden age every time. Make purchasing policies optional after 5 trees are complete. (Yes, I realize you can win with the Utopia project BUT the option is available to disable cultural victories AND the option is available to continue playing after you reach a victory condition).

3)* Unit Maintenance is out of control maybe late game maybe somewhere earliere. I don't know how it works "under the hood" but I deleted a worker and immediately got +40 gold. I deleted another worker and got nothing. I have a game right now where I am spending 139gp on unit maintenance and I am down to: 2 Mechanized Infantry, 2 Rocket Artillery, 1 Stealth Bomber, 1 Destroyer, 1 worker, and 1 Great General. Assuming that the Great General costs maintenance I am paying an average of 17.4gp per unit!

4)* The AI has no ability to strategize about water movement / taking islands / etc.

5) If your capital is not on a coast then building a harbor in a costal city doesn't connect a trade route to the capital. Having a third city with a harbour attached with a railway to the capital does not correct this problem.

6)* The AI is inadequate when attacking. Even with inferior units all you have to do is choke off an area with some ranged artillery and the AI will run his units one-at-a-time into your force. You can target first and kill them all. Then once the AI loses most of his units you march into his territory and conquer.

7) I have yet to see the AI use a nuke to break a "choke point" like the one described above.

8)* Rocket Artillery still sometimes prompt you with a set up for range attack button, particularly after they have moved. It seems that if you click away and click back then it corrects it.

9)* The AI keeps making outrageous peace treaty demands - they demand everything - even though I have not lost a single unit/city and they haven't sent any more than 1 unit into my land at any time. I suspect this is because they have no military units due to unit maintenance. The 1 AI I can negotiate with is currently making -3239gp per turn.

10)* Even though the AI is making -3239gp per turn, and has been for some time, he still (according to my military advisor) has an army that could wipe me off the face of the planet (My military specs are above).

11) If buildings in my city cost maintenance to keep I would suggest that you can delete or "unmaintain" the building. This would make it possible to respecialize cities and lower building maintenance. I mean, why can't I blow up a building in a city I own? Sure, put a delay on it so that it can't be exploited when you feel you are going to lose a city - but still!

12) I don't seem to be "charged" for roads that I build outside my borders. I am however charged for roads that I haven't built that get enveloped by my borders. This can be easily exploted - build some roads outside your opponents expanding borders. As his borders expand he will be charged for the road or he will have to manually send a worker to delete them. Again, there should be a choice for my to "not maintain" a road/railroad and thereby not be charged for it.

13)* Future Tech doesnt seem to improve your score on the ingame score screen when it is being researched multiple times.

14) I had an occasion once where I couldn't declare war on an AI because a "Peace Treaty was in effect" even though no such peace treaty existed.

15) On the diplomacy Overview it always shows that I have a defence pact with everyone (except those I am at war with) even though I have a defence pact with no one.

16) It would be nice to be able to queue buildings that have dependencies. ie: Market > Bank > Stock Exchange... as long as the dependency is ahead of it in the queue.

17) If you are negotiating peace with the AI and the AI owns a capital (that isn't his own) that capital isn't available in the "cities" list of the negotiation screen.

18) Its happened twice to me where an enemy unit icon is over the tile, but there is no unit in the tile to attack. After a turn the unit reappears and is attackable.

19) Sometimes cities don't display. There name is there, but the hex is empty. In the save game file this was happening with VIJAYANAGARA (east side of map on island) but it is displaying now.

20) The AI makes large fleets of ships in lakes that are isolated from the ocean. I'm not sure if this is the case with this save file, but later on in this game there were a ton of destroyers locked in a lake on the south side.

21) City states don't make workers to clean up the fallout in their borders, essentially taking them out of the game.

22) You cant gift workers to city states (This would have helped with point 21 above).

23) (I know this has been covered before - but for emphasis) Please let us be able to turn off the auto unit cycle... it is so frustrating to be thrown about the map.

24) When I ask to form a pact of cooperation, and I am denied, the option changes to "I am not done working with you" ?? What does that mean?

25) Is there some kind of limit on how many workers you have? Workboats are somehow tied to this too - when I get more then 1 total between both types of units my maintenance goes up by 50gp. This is late game. As soon as I disband it then it goes back down immediately.

26) My military advisor tells me that the war is not going well and I should go for peace, and a few scrolls to the left later he is telling me that We're winning and we should keep the pressure on.

27) When pathing thru a city state city directly into combat my unit stops in the city state and I need to move him manually 1 hex out and then move him to the combat.

28) When I'm at war with the AI, and I am negotiating for peace, it tells me that I am already allowing open borders - the option is greyed out on my side. Why? The last thing I want is for my enemy to be able to come into my borders as soon as the war is over.

29) Capturing an enemy capital can result in their new capital being in a city that they have only puppet control of. That can't be good.

30) After gaining 16,000 Culture points and completing all but 1 tree of policies (not at the same time obviously) the policy points no longer reset after choosing a new policy. (I have another save game file showing this if its helpful...).

A savegame file is attached which demonstrates the points above which have an asterisk. I actually saved it the turn after I wrote this, so the main difference is I got a Great Merchant. I look forward to people testing all of these out and confirming...

Cheers! & GL to those people fixing this stuff!

Attachments

• Post.Civ5Save
    871.8 KB · Views: 43
Oh damn - my post was suppose to be a reply to another thread... not a new thread...

Feel free to move my initial post into wherever it is most helpful and delete the thread. I didn't mean to start a new discussion ;)

Cheers.

31) AI ships (destroyers) are healing within my borders.

32) When negotiating for cities I don't know the cities location. Knowing the population is great, but I really need to know where the city is for obvious reasons.

33) Air units don't fly around my city when set to intercept mode :( ... This was a cool thing in Civ4 - can we bring it back?

34) In the civilopedia for Nuclear Missile it says it can be based on an "Atomic Submarine".

35) Trying to rebase a nuclear missile seems to be buggy. I am trying to rebase it to both a city and a nuclear submarine and it doesn't work. The rebase icon is there, but when I click either the city or the nuclear sub nothing happens.

36) Civilopedia - the production cost for the Space Ship parts says "free"

37) After firing nukes from a submarine the submarine still displays the nuke as stationed. After rebasing a nuke from a city the nuke still shows as stationed in the city. This seems to correct itself by the next turn.

38) The Fallout from a nuclear missle is range 3 - more range then it's damage (2) - and the fallout causes you to go to war if it goes over another border.

37) Apparently I am untrustworthy because I am conquesting myself. Here is a save game file the turn before this happens.

Attachments

• AutoSave_0738 AD-2458.Civ5Save
    852 KB · Views: 52
2)* You are forced to adopt a new policy even if you have completed 6 - 7 policy trees. This causes you to lose all of your policies as the trees are not able to be active at the same time. You have to switch back and forth between policiy trees. Switching from Piety to Rationaliam gives you a golden age every time. Make purchasing policies optional after 5 trees are complete. (Yes, I realize you can win with the Utopia project BUT the option is available to disable cultural victories AND the option is available to continue playing after you reach a victory condition).

I'll have to try the save to be convinced that you MUST adopt a new policy- I think you can always right-click the alert that says "adopt policy" and just save the points without buying any.
I suspect that switching back to rationalism giving a golden age is a bug.

3)* Unit Maintenance is out of control maybe late game maybe somewhere earliere. I don't know how it works "under the hood" but I deleted a worker and immediately got +40 gold. I deleted another worker and got nothing. I have a game right now where I am spending 139gp on unit maintenance and I am down to: 2 Mechanized Infantry, 2 Rocket Artillery, 1 Stealth Bomber, 1 Destroyer, 1 worker, and 1 Great General. Assuming that the Great General costs maintenance I am paying an average of 17.4gp per unit!

I agree that it's out of control- yes they wanted to keep armies to a reasonable size but wow. However, less a bug and more a balancing issue. Maintenance is calculated for every 2 units, which is why one deletion gave you back +40 and the next gave you nothing.

5) If your capital is not on a coast then building a harbor in a costal city doesn't connect a trade route to the capital. Having a third city with a harbour attached with a railway to the capital does not correct this problem.

This is not my experience so long as there is a naval route between your harbors. If there is no water pathway from one harbor to another they are not considered connected.

12) I don't seem to be "charged" for roads that I build outside my borders. I am however charged for roads that I haven't built that get enveloped by my borders. This can be easily exploted - build some roads outside your opponents expanding borders. As his borders expand he will be charged for the road or he will have to manually send a worker to delete them. Again, there should be a choice for my to "not maintain" a road/railroad and thereby not be charged for it.

A worker can destroy a road in your/neutral territory.

18) Its happened twice to me where an enemy unit icon is over the tile, but there is no unit in the tile to attack. After a turn the unit reappears and is attackable.

I've seen this a few times and in fact was able to move my military unit into the same hex as the phantom enemy unit. Later when I moved out the enemy unit reappeared as more than just a flag. I assumed this was some undocumented but long ago talked about ability for units to "hide in the woods," as I have only seen it occur in forest tiles so far. But given the various invisible river/disappearing other things bugs, it's more likely to be along those lines. (Needless to say, next time I notice it I'll try to have a save!)

25) Is there some kind of limit on how many workers you have? Workboats are somehow tied to this too - when I get more then 1 total between both types of units my maintenance goes up by 50gp. This is late game. As soon as I disband it then it goes back down immediately.

They are units, as far as I can tell workers and tanks contribute the same amount towards unit maintenance. It's just total number of units and that includes workers and work boats.

27) When pathing thru a city state city directly into combat my unit stops in the city state and I need to move him manually 1 hex out and then move him to the combat.

Additionally, you can't "Skip turn" a unit in a city, and a unit whose movement happens to end him in a city is auto-garrisoned, which means you might not realize and so skip the action you had wanted him to take the next turn.

Is your save game for the deluxe edition or is it babylon free?

38) The Fallout from a nuclear missle is range 3 - more range then it's damage (2) - and the fallout causes you to go to war if it goes over another border.

Why do you think these things are incorrect?

Top Bottom