Different difficulty levels, no challenge

eXeel

Chieftain
I bought BNW and my friend did too, so we could play multiplayer together. Not against each others.
So the AI is important.

I read the AI in multiplayer is very dumbed down and that is how I feel too. Normally in single player, immortal is challenging and sometimes I win, sometimes not. But I am far behind in tech and military for a large part of the game.
In multiplayer I quickly catch up. And military wise, AI is weak. No carpets. And together with the bad teching, walk over.

I play Immortal.
He plays King, or Prince.

Is there any way to make it more challenging for me (guess I could go deity?) and maybe he should go higher? Though it would be hard with the penalties for him.

Did anyone ever look into the code and find out how the AI skill is in multiplayer? Same as lowest player skill? Always a certain level?
This is no fun, feels like we're only playing vs the happiness handicaps.

The AI is the level of the lowest skill-level..
So if your friend choses prince/king level, all the AI's in the game will behave as prince/king AI's.
I do play some immortal games with a friend of mine, which are a bit easier then normal immortal, but it is still fun and not that easy as you describe it ;-)

Okay, well that is annoying :) Should be able to choose each AI's difficulty or make AI more aggressive to you than your friend that plays on lower difficulty.
Just... something :)

So basicly u want Play a game where ai builds lots of Units and cities and Plays somehwat smart and your friend want Play a game where ai Plays totaly horrible doesnt expand at all and builds no Units.

OK

On same map?

Basicly bad design that this isnt possible.

OK

the real question is what kind of game do you play with ai...

if you play lets say a 2 v2 its enough if you are worth 10 and your friend 2 to set ai at 6 or so, you help him improve his gameplay etc, whats the problem?

if you play ffa with a noob friend and a ai i dont get it...

tommy, I don't expect the AI to be exactly like singleplayer immortal to me, and singleplayer king to my friend :)
But there are smarter ways to make it possible to play with a friend.

ddd, so if I set my friends difficulty between king and immortal or deity, all the AI will be of that difficulty? That might be doable. Then he just needs to learn to deal with the weaker handicaps, I guess there will be some advantages he will miss out on.

no i just meant you have to balance the ai considering your average skill lvl and try to teach him in case he is the focus of ai which might be slightly better than him

And how do I balance the AI? I cant choose the AI difficulty, only both of ours.

And how do I balance the AI? I cant choose the AI difficulty, only both of ours.

The AI difficulty is whatever the lowest human is set to. If you're immortal and he's king, all AI are king difficulty. I recommend you just go with both of you as immortal since you'll be there to help him.

I would further recommend that you consider setting the difficulty a little higher than you are comfortable with given that you are combining technology with your partner. That makes quite a huge difference. I play multiplayer games with my mom. She ordinarily plays on warlord difficulty. If we set the difficulty to King, the game is too easy.

I would further recommend that you consider setting the difficulty a little higher than you are comfortable with given that you are combining technology with your partner. That makes quite a huge difference. I play multiplayer games with my mom. She ordinarily plays on warlord difficulty. If we set the difficulty to King, the game is too easy.

Oh you are talking about being on the same team? We play different teams but of course help each others out. But maybe we should consider playing on same teams?
Does that make you play 1 civilization? Or just joint research?

My friend is pretty cocky in some ways, so telling him you and your mother play on harder difficulty might make him step up to the task :D

I didn't read this thread in detail, but things you could perhaps think about is to fire up the In Game Editor and give your friend an extra settler at the start of the game. Or if that's too much, an extra worker, or 500 gold or so.

There's only ever going to be 1 AI per game, as some in this thread already said, and normally difficulty level is determined by AI bonuses, so that doesn't work for what you want; you can't change the AI. I think you need to look at ways to boost or handicap the human player instead at the start of the game. I don't know the In Game Editor too well (look for it it Creation & Customisation - Mod Components), but I think it should be possible with that.

If you plan the same team, you share science and you both win if any of the conditions are met. The only once you can fully cooperate on our science or domination victories, but you can still do a culture game if one player goes for culture and the other one defends and assists, and the same is true for diplomatic victories.

You play as different civilizations by your sciences combined. The cost of each technology is increased by 50% or something like that, but if you are both researching the same one, that actually results in a discount.

Top Bottom