Difficulty levels?

I'd imagine not very much would change. But hopefully the more difficult the level, the more aggressive and tactful the AI rather than relying on cheats and numbers. I'll believe that when I see it, though.

Carry the difficulty levels from C3C to Civ4. Thats all I have to say on that ;).

When you're rebuilding a game from scratch, you probably end up rebalancing everything. Heck, they invented a new "Sid" level when they found out that there were exploits that made "Deity" too easy in C3.

While I doubt the difficulty levels can be easily mapped from C3C to C4, I'm sure the difficulty levels will be there. It's just a question of whether they do it by giving a dumb opponent more handicaps, or making a dumb opponent smart.

I think they will probably just give the same old bonuses. I have no doubt that the AI will be vastly improved, but it will be the same for all levels. No matter how good the AI is, it won't take long for the master players here to determine what makes them tick. Ultimately, they are still programmed, and we will eventually figure out what they are going to do. I guess that's just the limit of what AI programmers can do when dealing with a wide distribution like video games.

Maybe we'll get a combination of both. Production bonuses and penalties on one scale, and AI strategy on another scale. It would be cool to play against AI on a lower setting that do simple and straightforward things, but a higher setting might see feints and some planning ahead in war and peace. I would like an AI civ that actually aims for a space race win and does what it can to emphasize production and science, or one that attacks a small city with a small force, then a few turns later, sends a large stack where the defence is light.

I would probably like to play on a level playing field as far as production and science, but put the AI strategy all the way for fun, interesting games. I think that's what most people want here, since most of the talk has been about better AI, not bonuses. But like I said, I do think that we will figure out how the AI "thinks," then we will need production bonuses for a good challenge.

If they won't improve AI and difficulties, there will be some major disappointment among civ-fans. I just hope they're smart enough and will do sometin' about it. Someting innovative like mills or leaders.

gskyes is right. The only way around it is to make an AI that's semi-unpredictable.

But that's also partially tied to the fact that there's only one best strategy in Civ 3. If there's one best thing to do every time, of course the AI is going to be basically predictable.

It's a heavy undertaking, that's for sure. It involves diversifying gameplay by balancing multiple options and also spending the time so that way an AI can pursue those multiple options with skill, and so that the AI can know WHICH option to pursue.

Top Bottom