1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Difficulty settings on Multiplayer

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Multiplayer' started by texashopkins, Oct 28, 2016.

1. texashopkins

texashopkins Chieftain

Pardon if stupid question. Thinking about testing it but wondered if anyone already had an answer.
    I'm confused about the difficulty settings and how they relate to the AI in a multiplayer game.

When setting up a multiplayer game, what do you need to set difficulties to for a challenging game?
    Does setting yourself to Emperor effect the AI or just the player?
    If so, does it use the hardest or easiest if players are set different?
    What about the AI settings. Do you set them to Settler or Diety to give them max bonuses? Or is it really already handled by the Player setting as in question 1?

So, If I want to setup a game for a tough compstomp with a newer player, might the following be a variation of what I want?

#1 emperor
    #2 prince
    3(AI) Diety
    4(AI) Emperor
    5(AI) Emperor
    6(AI) Diety

thanks, tom

chrisgatt7 likes this.
  2. TheGrumpyBuddha

TheGrumpyBuddha Chieftain

A *really* good question -- I believe that you would want to set up the AI to be on very easy difficulties, so that they get bonuses against barbarians, etc., but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone can dig into the code and tell us.

3. Florian80

Florian80 Chieftain

As this is a really good question - did anyone found something already?

4. Thrax1234

Thrax1234 Chieftain

Pretty sure difficulty only applies for when you leave a MP game and your nation becomes AI

5. CanuckSoldier

CanuckSoldier Chieftain

Difficulty levels are only good against the AI in games, not sure how an AI civ or City State deals with human players with different levels in the same game though

http://civ6.gamepedia.com/Game_difficulty

CS

6. Janskey

Janskey Chieftain

I was wondering about this myself, as a hotseat game I was playing seemed even easier than usual, so I did some quick testing.

Setting a human player's difficulty to settler gives him +2 combat bonus due to difficulty, but setting a human player on deity won't give him a combat penalty. Setting an AI's difficulty to deity gives it +4 combat bonus due to difficulty, no penalty if set to settler. E.g. in combat between a settler human vs. a deity AI, human gets +2 and the AI +4. In combat between settler human vs. deity human, settler guy gets +2, deity guy nothing. In short, a human player gets more bonuses from a lower difficulty setting and an AI player from higher difficulty.

I'm not sure, but apparently the AIs won't get their usual 3 (deity) settlers in hotseat mode no matter what.

Srubio likes this.
  7. TheGrumpyBuddha

I was wondering about that, whether the AI gets their bonus settlers in MP -- perhaps not, in which case boy do we need a mod!

From what you're saying, it sounds like when setting original AI difficulty in MP, we should go with "Deity" if we want to make it tougher on the humans, right? The default is Prince.

8. Janskey

Janskey Chieftain

That's right.

9. TheGrumpyBuddha

It worked and it non-hotseat it looks like the AI get their bonus settlers ... woot!

10. PriceofRussia

PriceofRussia Chieftain

Does any one have an answer for whether or not changing difficulty for a human player actually does anything while human is in the game? I did some testing and did not see anything stand out as different between a human set to lowest and highest deficit settings.

11. AmtrakQuebec

AmtrakQuebec Chieftain

You know that place by the other place...
    It doesn't do anything for the human player ingame... only when he leaves and the AI takes over.

12. razorace

razorace Chieftain

Your personal difficulty will affect things like amenities required per-city and the difficulty of your relationship with AI civs. I don't remember all the differences off-hand.

13. John Hunt

John Hunt Chieftain

Hey TheGrumpyBuddha, you are right.

14. Flel

Flel Chieftain

I can strongly recommend NOT changing difficulty settings in MP due to a bug that allows player characters to get AI bonuses (ie. +60% hammers).

This bug was previously reported and I reported my experience with this bug as well here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/289070/discussions/0/282992646970850243/

As far as I know, this has not been addressed and is still in the game.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  15. AmtrakQuebec

AmtrakQuebec Chieftain

You know that place by the other place...
    Yes, and cheaters use this in a collusion mode, which I reported on in the MP area months ago.