Difficulty settings on Multiplayer

texashopkins

Chieftain
Pardon if stupid question. Thinking about testing it but wondered if anyone already had an answer.
I'm confused about the difficulty settings and how they relate to the AI in a multiplayer game.

When setting up a multiplayer game, what do you need to set difficulties to for a challenging game?
Does setting yourself to Emperor effect the AI or just the player?
If so, does it use the hardest or easiest if players are set different?
What about the AI settings. Do you set them to Settler or Diety to give them max bonuses? Or is it really already handled by the Player setting as in question 1?

So, If I want to setup a game for a tough compstomp with a newer player, might the following be a variation of what I want?

#1 emperor
#2 prince
3(AI) Diety
4(AI) Emperor
5(AI) Emperor
6(AI) Diety

thanks, tom

Pardon if stupid question. Thinking about testing it but wondered if anyone already had an answer.
I'm confused about the difficulty settings and how they relate to the AI in a multiplayer game.

When setting up a multiplayer game, what do you need to set difficulties to for a challenging game?
Does setting yourself to Emperor effect the AI or just the player?
If so, does it use the hardest or easiest if players are set different?
What about the AI settings. Do you set them to Settler or Diety to give them max bonuses? Or is it really already handled by the Player setting as in question 1?

So, If I want to setup a game for a tough compstomp with a newer player, might the following be a variation of what I want?

#1 emperor
#2 prince
3(AI) Diety
4(AI) Emperor
5(AI) Emperor
6(AI) Diety

thanks, tom
A *really* good question -- I believe that you would want to set up the AI to be on very easy difficulties, so that they get bonuses against barbarians, etc., but I'm not sure. Hopefully someone can dig into the code and tell us.

Pretty sure difficulty only applies for when you leave a MP game and your nation becomes AI

Difficulty levels are only good against the AI in games, not sure how an AI civ or City State deals with human players with different levels in the same game though

http://civ6.gamepedia.com/Game_difficulty

CS

I was wondering about this myself, as a hotseat game I was playing seemed even easier than usual, so I did some quick testing.

Setting a human player's difficulty to settler gives him +2 combat bonus due to difficulty, but setting a human player on deity won't give him a combat penalty. Setting an AI's difficulty to deity gives it +4 combat bonus due to difficulty, no penalty if set to settler. E.g. in combat between a settler human vs. a deity AI, human gets +2 and the AI +4. In combat between settler human vs. deity human, settler guy gets +2, deity guy nothing. In short, a human player gets more bonuses from a lower difficulty setting and an AI player from higher difficulty.

I'm not sure, but apparently the AIs won't get their usual 3 (deity) settlers in hotseat mode no matter what.

I was wondering about this myself, as a hotseat game I was playing seemed even easier than usual, so I did some quick testing.

Setting a human player's difficulty to settler gives him +2 combat bonus due to difficulty, but setting a human player on deity won't give him a combat penalty. Setting an AI's difficulty to deity gives it +4 combat bonus due to difficulty, no penalty if set to settler. E.g. in combat between a settler human vs. a deity AI, human gets +2 and the AI +4. In combat between settler human vs. deity human, settler guy gets +2, deity guy nothing. In short, a human player gets more bonuses from a lower difficulty setting and an AI player from higher difficulty.

I'm not sure, but apparently the AIs won't get their usual 3 (deity) settlers in hotseat mode no matter what.
I was wondering about that, whether the AI gets their bonus settlers in MP -- perhaps not, in which case boy do we need a mod!

From what you're saying, it sounds like when setting original AI difficulty in MP, we should go with "Deity" if we want to make it tougher on the humans, right? The default is Prince.

From what you're saying, it sounds like when setting original AI difficulty in MP, we should go with "Deity" if we want to make it tougher on the humans, right? The default is Prince.

That's right.

Does any one have an answer for whether or not changing difficulty for a human player actually does anything while human is in the game? I did some testing and did not see anything stand out as different between a human set to lowest and highest deficit settings.

Your personal difficulty will affect things like amenities required per-city and the difficulty of your relationship with AI civs. I don't remember all the differences off-hand.

Top Bottom