Difficulty settings

Malta

Mediterranean Knight
I'm used to playing at the three lowest levels of difficulty, but wanted to try a higher difficulty for a test of the new C3C version of my own map (Malta). However, I found that at Sid difficulty I never got anything but barbarians in the goody huts. On Deity I managed to get a map on one occasion, and that was probably only because the only square where barbarians could appear was blocked by another of my units. :)
Is my observation correct? Is there a certain difficulty level above which you can only get barbarians in goody huts?
And yes, I have made sure preserve random seed is turned off. :)

I've tried to find more detailed information about difficulty levels on civfanatics, other civ-sources, and the web in general without luck.
Another question: Is there a good guide to adjusting Civs for a mod? I found a couple of guides on other aspects of modmaking, but not on this.

You can still get stuff on Higher levels, but it is very rare to get anyything good from a goody hut on Sid.

If you are an expansionist civ, you CAN'T get barbs from a hut, regardless of difficulty.

Have no idea about the guides, but check the Creation forum.

Originally posted by Malta
On Deity I managed to get a map on one occasion, and that was probably only because the only square where barbarians could appear was blocked by another of my units. :)

Hmm, is that a way of preventing barbarians from huts? Simply covering all the adjacent squares with units? Does that work, or do barbarians appear in the nearest open squares regardless of distance from the hut?

It's rather hard to test it, as huts would usually be gone by the time you can spare enough units to cover all squares around them. So it would have to huts like the ones in my map, at the end of one-square wide peninsulas. I reloaded a couple of times without getting barbarians, after never getting anything but barbarians in the other huts. It could indicate that you can prevent barbarians from appearing this way, but I am not certain my test is extensive enough to be sure.

Top Bottom