Discovering resources on hills when mining!

It'd be interesting if, say, a city ruins left untouched, unroaded, and outside of any city's fat cross, would have a small chance of turning into a strategic resource. Like stone would be logical. :D

Citiy ruins seem to be connected to an event,
i.e. the discovery of impotant informations which lead to beakers for a certain research. I asume it only appears if you have city ruins in your cultural influence zone.

As for newly discovered resources:
I have it very often in my curent game. More than 7 times to date, with 2 of my cities even having 2 newly discovered (strategic) resources within their fat X

Apparently, whales can now turn up in tiles where there was no special resource previously. I've twice seen reports of it happening to other civs than mine.

Öjevind Lång;5825874 said:
Apparently, whales can now turn up in tiles where there was no special resource previously. I've twice seen reports of it happening to other civs than mine.

Whales? As in Moby Dick? Really?

If so, then cool :)

Resources will only pop from mines that are being worked. That is, hills outside of city fat crosses will not pop resources, and mined hills inside city fat cross will also not pop resources if you don't put citizens on the mine.

Generally, when I played Settlers games, I had popped about two to four resources per game. On Noble, it drops to one or two.

Some people mistake hidden resources for popping. These "pop" when you discover the corresponding technologies. Because the messages are the same, it's easy to think you popped it out of chance.

If that's the case, then it must have been changed after Vanilla. I distinctly remember a game where I Struck Silver well outside my city cross... But, as I said, they could have changed it at some point.

It happens several times per game, depending on the difficulty level. The game checks each mine that doesn't already have a resource (excluding hidden resources you simply can't see yet) and rolls. So if you've got a large expanse of hills that are otherwise not being used, you may as well mine them up in the off chance that you make a Strike.

unless of course you're running a Machinery slingshot, my usual tech-path when non-spiratual, and want to Windmill all those hills and avoid switching to serfdom...Certainly compounded if I've reasearched Iron early and hooked up a source.

Citiy ruins seem to be connected to an event,
i.e. the discovery of impotant informations which lead to beakers for a certain research. I asume it only appears if you have city ruins in your cultural influence zone.

As for newly discovered resources:
I have it very often in my curent game. More than 7 times to date, with 2 of my cities even having 2 newly discovered (strategic) resources within their fat X

Here's that event...
Spoiler :

Event2
City Ruins
Prereq: City Ruins in your control
Obsolete: RADIO or REFRIGERATION or PLASTICS or SATELLITES or ADVANCED_FLIGHT or ECOLOGY
Active/Weight: 90/1000
Result:
1.you get 15% of remaining tech cost for a tech
2.you get 15% of remaining tech cost for a tech AND pay gold (5% of tech cost) for a chance for 3
3.you get +15% of remaining tech cost for a tech

You can't map the whole mine out when you start.
Off topic: beautifully mixed up! ;) Shouldn't it be "you can't MINE the whole MAP"? :) - made me laugh..

Lurking Liu said:
If that's the case, then it must have been changed after Vanilla. I distinctly remember a game where I Struck Silver well outside my city cross... But, as I said, they could have changed it at some point.

I think chances got higher significantly since the latest Warlords-Patch. Beforehand I had new resoruces once or twice in all the games I played, after the latest WL patch I had it happen regularly...

Top Bottom