Discovering resources on hills when mining!

ATopic22

Clan SPADE Captain
Have you ever unexpectedly discovered a resource such as gold or iron on a hill that didn't have anything on it before. I think its possible since each time you hover over the MINE task, it says there is a small chance of discovering one of these.

It happens several times per game, depending on the difficulty level. The game checks each mine that doesn't already have a resource (excluding hidden resources you simply can't see yet) and rolls. So if you've got a large expanse of hills that are otherwise not being used, you may as well mine them up in the off chance that you make a Strike.

It happens several times per game, depending on the difficulty level. The game checks each mine that doesn't already have a resource (excluding hidden resources you simply can't see yet) and rolls. So if you've got a large expanse of hills that are otherwise not being used, you may as well mine them up in the off chance that you make a Strike.

Word. :)

The luckiest finds for me have been so far, after mining the copper in my capital, about 6 turns later another source of copper pops up on a newly made mine in my capital radius! (One was a grassland copper and the other a grassland hill) So I basically had two high production tiles in the thousand BC's!!! :crazyeye:

Resources will only pop from mines that are being worked. That is, hills outside of city fat crosses will not pop resources, and mined hills inside city fat cross will also not pop resources if you don't put citizens on the mine.

Generally, when I played Settlers games, I had popped about two to four resources per game. On Noble, it drops to one or two.

Some people mistake hidden resources for popping. These "pop" when you discover the corresponding technologies. Because the messages are the same, it's easy to think you popped it out of chance.

Those happen at least a few times even on deity level. The discovered resources ain't always a good thing though. My super production city with heroic epic in it, discovered a gem and a silver, problem is i already got 3 gems and 4 silver mine else where and the city's production took a hit because of the newly discovered precious metal mines :(

In my last game, I got a (second) Iron, a Silver, and a Coal all in my capital. The random resources are nice especially if they're production resources; if they're precious metals they can actually decrease production (like the other guy said).

Sure it happens. In last game I discovered copper near my capital very early, saving my land from the barbarians.

Happens quite allot on marathon

Bronze is most common it seems
Had 3 bronze, 1 silver, 1 gold and 1 iron pop in my current game
I used to think it only happened when you built mine as well, so i used to go around building mines outside city cross hoping for gold/gems to pop

Though i hardly use mines now, i build windmills or use workshops

Those happen at least a few times even on deity level. The discovered resources ain't always a good thing though. My super production city with heroic epic in it, discovered a gem and a silver, problem is i already got 3 gems and 4 silver mine else where and the city's production took a hit because of the newly discovered precious metal mines :(

I don't understand this. Could you elaborate further?

ive had iron long after i got ironworking, appear which came in handy :) had uranium appear, coal.. i think tin or aluminum... After a while i only care if its something i need.

would be nice if you could setup improvments in order to make resorces spawn such as setting up a quarry and haveing a chance of it spawning marble or stone and same as for other resorces like how the mine works.
i think that would be a nice adjustment to the game. (allowing maps to be formed devoid of resorces as a game play option so that you can in a minor way aim for what bonues your land will gain)

Gem, silver and gold mines give less :hammers: than normal mines

Whoa I didn't know that. And to think how long I've been playing this game! :crazyeye:

I always find Gold or Gems in hills near my my military cities and it's pretty disappointing...

Hmm, I guess that proves it then. Give a man a bag of gold and he'll complain it's too heavy. :p ;)

I don't mind it so much. Even if it's my military production city, I'm trading 1 hammer for 4-5 commerce...I'll take it! One hammer doesn't make that much of a difference compared to the production city's total hammers anyway (it should be at least 20 base to be considered a production city, I'd say, likely more as game progresses).

Have you ever unexpectedly discovered a resource such as gold or iron on a hill that didn't have anything on it before. I think its possible since each time you hover over the MINE task, it says there is a small chance of discovering one of these.
Yep, it's well known.

The chance is 1/10000 per known resource per mine per turn.

Here's a calculation giving you the percentage chance of discovering a resource in your empire depending on how many mines you are working and how long you wait:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=238169

would be nice if you could setup improvments in order to make resorces spawn such as setting up a quarry and haveing a chance of it spawning marble or stone and same as for other resorces like how the mine works.
i think that would be a nice adjustment to the game. (allowing maps to be formed devoid of resorces as a game play option so that you can in a minor way aim for what bonues your land will gain)

worker: "Sir, we are at the site you designated for building a quarry, but.."
leader: "But what?"
worker: "There's no stone here. I mean, there are a few pebbles, but nothing we couldn't pick up and bring home right now."
leader: "I know what I'm doing worker. There is no stone that we have found yet but that doesn't mean that if we keep operating a stoneless quarry we'll never find any!"
worker: "It's a plain we're on sir, don't you want ut to build a cottage instead?"
leader: "I know what I'm doing worker. It may be a thousand years, or four thousand years, but I'm sure there's stone around there somewhere. And I intend to be ready when we find it."

Ehm... ok

It makes sense to discover certain resources, like things you mine. You can't map the whole mine out when you start so who knows what the hill's holding. But apart from those, it's pretty far-fetched. Either the resource is there, or it isn't. Building an improvement also don't really seem to enhance chances of something appearing.

This feature is not new btw.

Top Bottom