Disease?

rishubhav

Chieftain
This has been a very large factor historically, and I was just wodnering if there was any way to implement it. Perhaps through a dummy religion?

It could be another idea for the Mongol's UP. ;)

Disease is, by nature, very complicated. Anyway we decide to implement it will be limited and/or disappointing. But, I think we should.

A dummy religion (out of Mongolia?) would be effective, given the mechanism for spread is already in the game. Another idea would be to hardcode the creation of deadly plagues with the first meetings between certain civs.

Another idea would be to hardcode the creation of deadly plagues with the first meetings between certain civs.
I.E. Between the Aztecs/Inca and any European civ?

And an increase in the amount of Unhealthiness caused by Jungle for European civs up until X technology? (I.E. the British suffered from many diseases in tropical locales of their empire like the West Indies, India, and South Africa north of the temperate zone; much like the native populations of the Americas, their immune systems just weren't prepared)

One or more of the deadly plagues that swept across Europe? (Large increase in Unhealthiness in cities for X number of turns?)

Eh.
Unhealthiness would fit best a persistent problem. Pagues, however, break out at certain intervals, every 30-80 years depending on the time and place. Really bad plagues are what are highlighted in our textbooks and should be what we attempt to emmulate.

A sudden drop in population seems a better way then unhealthiness. While some technologies, like the Germ theory or proper Quarentines, do improve responses to diseases, they have certainly not been stopped them. SARS, AIDS...
The greatest loss of life from a 'single' event in World History was not the Black Death, nor WWII, it was the Spanish Influenza in 1918-19.

I would like to see a complex disease system, perhaps using one or more dummy religions (when the 'religion' enters your city, X% die but the city is now immune); but, a very complicated algorithim involving troop movements and contact establishment would be 'more' accurate.

Dummy religions would be our best bet, we can implement it without creating many new subfunctions. I have seen elsewhere discussions about genepools and the normal exchange between cities with the movement of troops disrupting the natural flow and bringing 'exotic' genes to cities which cause plagues that kill % of people (the % depending on how 'exotic' the genes are). But, this can be saved for a mod solely dedicated to disease and/or Civ5, or 6.

In most European games I play, a neighbour and myself end up reaching the industrial age by 1600 and discovering Uranium and Electricity before the century's over. I know it's not much, but I'm sure some sort of pestilence would bury this problem.

Well, I've already posted a thread about this at this thread, and if it could be implemented, I don't see why not. But only every 50-100 turns or so, otherwise it'd be too harsh.

plague has always been in the to-do list.
The only real problem is the graphical representation. How do I show when a city is under plague? There is no black scavenger graphics or anything like that in civ4.

you could either make a dummy religion with a graphic to be put on the city, or some type of dummy building.

I could probably make you a floating skull that floats over your cites.

For example I attached a red wavering skull to our "Tower of Necromancy": http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=139992&d=1160284553.

It wouldn't be hard to take out the tower and just have the floating red skull be the symbol of the building. Then if you put the building in the city you will have the skull over it, and if you take the building out it dissapears. PM me if your interested.

I know very little about graphics modding but could it be shown in the same way as unrest and uncleanliness?

I think that if plagues were to be added, they should be implemented in such a way that most of the Old World has already been infected (and therefore immune) before the discovery of the New World. This would make their impact on the New World civs much more devastating because of the constant contact with the colonists (i.e. Spain, England, etc...).

As to representing the plague, why not just use the unhappy face icon and change it's colour to black or something. Even a black dot would do.

Top Bottom