1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Do Governors need a rework?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by acluewithout, Jun 13, 2019.

1. acluewithout

acluewithout Deity

Awesome.

I’m not sure that’s the direction I want Governors to go in now... but yeah. Awesome.

Random but related thought. I really think one of the things that kills it for me with Governors is just the whole “same seven, every game, every civ” thing. Does anyone think that FXS might expand the Governor roster at some point, including maybe having some unlock later in the game and or be more specific to certain Civs.

I mean, FXS have so far given us... one unique Governor (Ibrahim)? Is that it?

I mean, that might be it. Maybe Ibrahim is just an example to moders of what you can do. A bit like how Alt Leaders have been mostly left to Governors.

Just seems a bit of a wasted opportunity. I mean, imagine if you had some unique Governors unlocked by the Tier 2 and 3 Governors. I don’t know what they’d do, but I’d live to see what unique Governor you got from Monarchy or Merchant Republic, or Communism!

I also just can’t believe there isn’t an option to turn off Governor faces for other Civs or even just a mod that does that. I know it’s not a big deal, but seeing all those Amanis in the City State screen is just nuts.

Random but less related thought. I used to really not like the Gov Plaza and Tier 1 Buildings. It’s nuts, I know, but I have come to like both a lot better since I realised that (1) you can just build the GP adjacent to your City Centre and be damned to the adjacencies (obv, I know. Sigh.) and (2) the Ancestral Hall only buffs Settler production for one city (somehow, that makes the whole thing just feel less silly ... go figure). I still think the GP is missing some sort of Parliament / Congress / Senate type building, but it I’ve finally made peace with the whole thing.

...Because , you know, ... a random purple district in a video game is the sort of thing a grown man needs to “make peace with”. (Yeah. I need to get out more.)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    ChocolateShake likes this.
  2. Zenstrive

Zenstrive Ocean King

Ah, Governors. Your pawns to strengthen your capital and frontier cities. I think they are another aspect of "Board game" making the puzzle that is Civilization VI. My only complaint is that they need to be promoted not from wonders or civics, but from the productivities of their cities. Every completed productions and projects increase their experiences, thus will increase their levels. This going to make them really feels like governors that grow, not upgradeable cards.

Eurritz and acluewithout like this.
  3. KayAU

KayAU King

I liked my first couple of games with governors, but have cooled off on them since. I particularly don't like moving them around, as it is tedious, and the delay to establish a governor before being able to use them for something is unsatisfying. There's also an annoying bit of anti-synergy between abilities which give per-turn bonuses and abilities which encourage you to constantly move your governors from city to city.

I would actually have preferred if governors were immobile, or even replaced with a system of more static bonuses, similar to the Social Policies in Civ 5, the Virtues in Beyond Earth (which had some satisfying synergies), or even the Continental Congress in Colonization. It would be a lot less micromanagement, and a single decision for a reward, received immediately.

kaspergm likes this.