1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Do you reload till you get a good start ?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Baron2, Aug 5, 2013.

1. earthwulf

earthwulf Warlord

Only time I reroll is if I get a civ I don't want (I random civs, don't like to play 'em if I've done it before)...

2. pwnerer

pwnerer Chieftain

I reroll jungle starts nearly 100% of the time. Just hate them

3. Securion

Securion Civ Veteran

I only re-roll if I get the Asian tileset. Cant stand that.

4. Addetetet

Addetetet Chieftain

Jungle=reroll most of the times, hate having to go down a specific tree that i otherwise would wait a lot longer with..

If i manage to find a desert location with lots of hills and a river in the middle and some marble or something I´m happiest man alive :) Actually rerolled til i got this one of the first times i tried immortal just to not fall way behind.. It worked, got science victory at turn 320 (standard) had tons of wonders and 35ish population in capital producing spaceship parts in 3-4 turns each

5. Miravlix

Miravlix King

The difference between a horrible no food/no hammer start and a good one is gigantic. It breaks the game having to sit around for a million turns pushing the next button with nothing to do.

The snowball effect of getting 1 hammer more X turn sooner or dropping a city sooner rather than later, getting more science sooner, etc. etc. etc it has a huge effect on the game.

6. ERLoft

ERLoft San Diegan

I used Really Advanced Start and either Tectonics or PerfectWorld3, but still reroll if I explore and find my start to be pretty lame. Just had one where I was at the tip of a peninsula with mountains blocking in one direction and all of space for 1 city before hitting another capital. That one got tossed out pretty quickly...

Both those map scripts tend to produce some good mountain ranges, so an ideal start could have me on the wet side of a mountain range with lots of rivers and a few chokepoints to defend. My current game (I always play random Civ) is with Ghandi and got that type of start. A whole peninsula to the west with mountains shielding it, and to the east, about 15 tiles away was the Siamese capital. I'm on Marathon/Hugh/Emperor and it turned out that Siam controlled the only east-west access that could get ships through around the world (granted this is with Whoward69's mod that allows ships to pass through forts and citadels. I was contemplating going to war with Ramkhamhaeng when Assyria attacked from the east and capped one of his 3 cities. Rome to the north declared on him too, so I denounced and attacked as soon as possible, capping his capital and razing his last city. Now I control the only east-west access! Mwahaha!

7. z284pwr

z284pwr Prince

I'm not a hard core player and don't have tons of time so I reroll often until I get a good start. I would rather cheat and get a good start. Wasting time on bad games means I don't have a good time playing a game

8. Firesmacker

Firesmacker Chieftain

In my 1500+ hours of playing, I have played every craptacular start imaginable so I don't feel bad about the 3-4 times I have restarted since I have only started doing it recently.

Fun fact:

A couple days ago, I got distracted by one of my children and almost hit restart when I took a second look and noticed all the salt sitting near my settler. It would have taken me at least 10 restarts to get something like that again. *Phew*

Never underestimate the power of a jibber-jabbering four year old to make you forget what you were doing...

9. Tachii

Tachii Procrastinator

Like said:

1) Jungles everywhere.

But uh, I'll usually reroll if I get 2) 2-4 civs within 10 tiles from my capital in all directions where I can only build like one settler. Immortal is still a good challenge for me, I guess.

10. steveg700

steveg700 Deity

Would really some advice on finding a good map. I don't want archipelagos, and I don't want some map where I'm smothered by other civ's and can't expand.

Those two things are the most likely to prompt a re-roll.

11. Tachii

Tachii Procrastinator

Pangea can make it extremely likely for a smother, I think.

I choose Fractal, because it's so utterly random at times. I've gotten empty continents a few times.

12. SureYouCan

SureYouCan Warlord

I usually re-roll resource-light tundra starts and would never hesitate to re-roll a coastal tundra start with ice blocking my way out to the rest of the ocean. I also almost always move onto a hill with my initial settler and almost always settle on hills if theres any way the city can be attacked.

I'm never too worried about initial resources in the first hex when I settle a city, all I need is a hill to lock for production and the city can wait to grow until a granary.

I settle a lot of cities before turn 100 though. People complain about extra cities taking away science and increasing social policy costs, etc... etc... but they forget that you get ANOTHER CITY, the most valuable resource in the game!

13. Anarchist

Anarchist Warlord

I get frustrated if soon into the game I notice a much better site one or two hexes from the original start. If the site is really nice, I may restart and move my settler. I never do that based on horses or iron, however, only after a few turns.

In my last completed game, I had a relatively poor capital site. Two hexes away and I would have had three fishes as well as three deer, plus forests and hills. Any tiles lost would be taken by 2nd/3rd cities. As the fish were a way out, I did not find them until later. All through the game it really annoyed me! I prefer to 'cheat' a little rather than suffer that annoyance, frankly.

I am not sure we do get the best site any more. I think we used to, but no longer. In BNW I have had a few almost useless sites with much better ones nearby.

14. Anarchist

Anarchist Warlord

A single luxury resource in a coastal start? Sometimes I lie awake at night dreaming about a single luxury resource in a coastal start! [h/t to MP, LOB]

I've had a few with no sea resources at all. No lux, no fish. What's that about? I generally abandon those starts, as I essentially have half a capital city. It's OK later, but can hinder the start badly.

15. joncnunn

joncnunn Senior Java Wizard Moderator

Yes, I have a minimum criteria the start must be met; otherwise re-roll.

I did though take this up to 11 in case of Indonesia; after I rejected several tiny island scripts because the starting landmass had too many good tiles for one city I switched map types to
    the Ice Age - Small Islands script. The starting landmass was still a bit large, but it had no other useful city sites (basically snow tiles) it was close enough for what I was looking for.
    (I'm planning a 4 city empire with Indonesia with all cities on their own landmasses.)

16. Crashonly

Crashonly Chieftain

Meh.. This thread is another reminder for me that I really need to stop rerolling my starts so often.

Think I'll still reroll if I get some leader I really dislike playing (I like to go random), or I should just get some mod that lets me exclude leaders. But really, games are beginning to be a bit too easy as I've been consistently rerolling bad starts also. Think I might learn a new thing or two about the game if I get myself to stop doing that :)

17. Firesmacker

Firesmacker Chieftain

You don't need a mod to exclude leaders. You can pick who you want to go against.

Example:

You can pick Large Islands and keep Elizabeth and Dido out of the game.

You can be like me and be an utter fool when I moved up to king awhile back.

Picked - Japan, Mongolia, Rome, Greece, Ethiopia, Huns, Russia, and Germany. I was feeling saucy. It was a slaughter.

18. jaldaen

jaldaen Prince

I respawn the map a set number of times saving the starts I like, then I choose the most intriguing start for that civ. Usually, I avoid starting inland. I don't know why, but I just don't like my capital landlocked, but if the inland start is the best one I rolled, then I will play it.

19. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

I NEVER reoll, I just stick it out and see how it goes. I find it more fun than a boring good start, especially if I manage to do well and overtake other Civs eventually.

20. Ryoga

Ryoga King

I usually play on Emperor, occasionally on Prince and I never abandoned a game because of a bad start.

I've had games with pretty awful starts and games with absolutely good ones. I take what they give me. Sometimes they even mess up my plans completely. Like that time when I got Germany and I was miles away not only from other civs but even from CS (no point with the UA at all). Or that time when as Span I was locked on an isolated island with no way to leave it until navigation, of course no natural wonder in sight, and it was supposed to be a continents map.
    Then I got on maps completely surrounded by jungles. Then I play as Brazil and there's almost no jungle. Play as the Dutch and there are basically no marshes. But hey it's kind of fun to be able to overcome difficult situations now and then.
    Of course I've also abandoned a few games that turned out to be very bad, but not before I tried.