DoC 1.17.0 released

Hey All,

First of all, thanks Leoreth for the great mod and the latest update!

Secondly, I deleted the old 1.6 and installed the 1.7 mod but for some reason the scenarios do not pop up.
1677433705100.png

Have you guys encountered something like this? Tried to install twice, didn't help. I have the Steam version and downloaded the installer with the "all modules".

My installation path:
Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization IV Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword\Mods

Everything is fine. You can start the game now using the Play Now option. It will direct you throw the same choices you are familiar with from the Scenarios, except that your first choice is to select the scenario you want to play.

This is an important difference to previous versions and I did not realise that not everyone is familar with it from the development process. I will update the post above to let make everyone aware of this.

Everything is fine. You can start the game now using the Play Now option. It will direct you throw the same choices you are familiar with from the Scenarios, except that your first choice is to select the scenario you want to play.

This is an important difference to previous versions and I did not realise that not everyone is familar with it from the development process. I will update the post above to let make everyone aware of this.
Thanks!

Right, I haven't been following the development but I update once a new final version becomes available.

One more quick question. I can select Random or Huge world size but it doesn't seem to have any effect. With regards to the new map. is it included in the current version?
1677435376507.png

Even though you use "Play Now", DoC still plays like a scenario, you can ignore this panel entirely. It's not like you can play it on a Tiny map or whatever.

Yeah, the map is always the same like before. Unfortunately I cannot disable this selection bar entirely.

I started playing for Byzantium, Holy Rome did not appear, Russia appeared for Kyiv and Kazan at the beginning of the Mongol invasion. For almost the entire game, Python errors were thrown every turn. This is fine?

I cannot find the page with the most up-to-date modules since the one that was linked here by Hospitaller dates as far back as 2014 and they are scattered across several downloadable files there. I'm afraid I might mess up some things if I'll try to download each module separately and insert them into the wrong folders or having some other issues on the way.
Hey Leoreth, can I ask you please to add the GitHub 1.17.0 download with both the main DoC and all of the most up-to-date modules in one file/zip? 🙏

I started playing for Byzantium, Holy Rome did not appear, Russia appeared for Kyiv and Kazan at the beginning of the Mongol invasion. For almost the entire game, Python errors were thrown every turn. This is fine?
No it's not, but if you trade the sarcastic tone for an actual report that includes error messages or a save then maybe I can help you. Also, please use the bug reports thread for that purpose.

I cannot find the page with the most up-to-date modules since the one that was linked here by Hospitaller dates as far back as 2014 and they are scattered across several downloadable files there. I'm afraid I might mess up some things if I'll try to download each module separately and insert them into the wrong folders or having some other issues on the way.
Hey Leoreth, can I ask you please to add the GitHub 1.17.0 download with both the main DoC and all of the most up-to-date modules in one file/zip? 🙏
The Welcome to DoC thread linked here describes the modules.

No it's not, but if you trade the sarcastic tone for an actual report that includes error messages or a save then maybe I can help you. Also, please use the bug reports thread for that purpose.
This is not a sarcastic tone. I do not know English and I translate through an translater.

Were there no updates to any of these modules since 2014?
There were, but the links in the thread are nevertheless still pointing you to the right places.

There were, but the links in the thread are nevertheless still pointing you to the right places.
bandicam 2023-02-27 18-08-08-260.jpg

So I clicked the "Download as ZIP archive" links to download the module zip files right away, are they the most up-to-date?

Attachments

• bandicam 2023-02-27 18-08-08-260.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 14
Yes, it points to the master branch of the git repo, which contains the most recent state. If you click through you can check for yourself:
Screenshot 2023-02-27 at 13.37.01.png

Are you experiencing any issues? It's unclear where your concern is coming from.

Yes, it points to the master branch of the git repo, which contains the most recent state. If you click through you can check for yourself:
View attachment 655346

Are you experiencing any issues? It's unclear where your concern is coming from.

No no no I talked about the "Download as ZIP archive", not the GitHub links this time. Clicking the first one leads to the zip file being instantly downloaded without me being sent to GitHub, so my concern was about those zips specifically. There's no way for me to see whether those specific zips are up-to-date or not.

Attachments

• bandicam 2023-02-27 18-08-08-260.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 18
I know. Have you looked where the link is pointing to? It's pointing to github. Which is why I am talking about github. What do I have to do for you to believe me that it's up to date?

I am asking again if you are experiencing any actual problems or if you are just bothering me about it based on hypothetical worries before even trying.

I know. Have you looked where the link is pointing to? It's pointing to github. Which is why I am talking about github. What do I have to do for you to believe me that it's up to date?

I am asking again if you are experiencing any actual problems or if you are just bothering me about it based on hypothetical worries before even trying.
Forgive me, my bad. I'll repeat that in *my case* those links marked in red *do not* lead me to GitHub but instead have the file downloaded instantly right away from the forum page where these links are. My worry comes from that there's no way to see whether they're most up-to-date or not because if they aren't there might be some stuff missing or they'd be just incompatible with 1.17.0. As the caution says there for the VD module in particular: "the VD module is only updated with every major version release and is very likely to become incompatible with subsequent Git changes..." Again, sorry for taking away your time, I just want to make sure that nothing new which was added after 2014-2015 would be missing in those zips. If it's not the case and those zips are being constantly updated then it's a mere confusion and misunderstanding from my side.

Last edited:
I would have assumed that since we are currently on a major release, there would be no cause for concern.

Would it have been so much more hassle to just try and see if works first? I think it would have even saved you time, let alone not wasted mine.

I would have assumed that since we are currently on a major release, there would be no cause for concern.

Would it have been so much more hassle to just try and see if works first? I think it would have even saved you time, let alone not wasted mine.
Civ4BeyondSword 2023-02-28 00-44-35-443.jpg

I mean I just wouldn't be able to tell whether some latest added or updated module assets are there or not, the missing assets wouldn't always manifest themselves with errors.
Extracted the zip modules into the DoC assets folder, no errors but nothing changed and everything is still the core Civ IV interface. Like I said, this was my exact worry that I'd do something wrong and have my time wasted on trying to figure out where each module needs to be to make it all work. Which is why I asked for the one single zip file with both the 1.17.0 main DoC and all the up-to-date modules in it. I remember either 1.16.8 or 1.16.9 being both the full DoC without modules and with all the modules versions on GitHub but for 1.17.0 these are only available on sourceforge while GitHub 1.17.0 is just a "Source code" with no modules. I didn't have any issues with downloading 1.16.8 (or 1.16.9 can't remember which of these two I played before getting 1.17.0).

Last edited:
I would guess you did not extract the module Assets folders correctly into the base mod Assets folder.

There already is a file with all modules in them which also conveniently installs everything into the correct location. It's the installer. I am putting that out as the way to install the mod for a reason.

Going via git is and has always been an "I know what I am doing" kind of deal.

Top Bottom