Does anyone play Civ IV and/or Civ VI as well?

I could go on about the issues with Civ VI...

Yes, I do rather get that impression!

To clarify, I'm not saying that your criticisms are baseless. But you've only mentioned negatives that I can see negatives and you've given a lot of them. Which doesn't feel like a fair overall assessment of the game. Is there nothing you like about it? I've talked about things I enjoy here before but I'm not going to die on that hill so to speak. I can't help but say something though, when people give commentary like yours and @CyberPhy's "I can't even stand one game of VI".

IDK, perhaps I'm just not as bothered by the things that annoy you? It's difficult for me to make any kind of sense of such strong dislike towards a game that I find I have relatively minor issues with, despite also being a long-time fan of Vox Populi.

The game is best with all the expansions (which is something that can fairly be said about Civ V as well), but even with Rising Storm it wasn't terrible. Not to mention that while there isn't an equivalent to VP for Civ VI, there is at least a healthy range of mods available to adjust smaller aspects of the game like the UI.

Don't like corporations? Well they're optional to begin with, as are the other game modes. I like to play with the Barbarians Clans mode but it's totally up to you which ones you mix and match - if any. Hate how climate change and natural disasters are implemented? Turn them off. Or just tune them down a little. Or tune them up to 11 - there's a sliding scale you can use when setting up the game.

Perhaps Civ VI doesn't suit what you are looking for in a game and that's OK. Don't want fantasy in your history game? Then yes - play something else! Do what makes you happy. But that's very different from Civ VI being a bad game - it's just not the game you want it to be.

Last edited:
Fine I'll bite. A few likes and dislikes about CIV6. Personal opinions about the game since apparently just telling that you didn't like CIV6 was apparently some kind of slight.

A FEW THINGS I LIKE.
I like the graphics in general, I'm fine with the cartoon look or whatever people refer to it as. Some graphics got a bit worse tho like the hills are a bit hard to spot sometimes. But I like little geography changes such as the cliffs.

I like the map. I like the overlays. I like that you can put little markers on the map to plan things (it's probably the best feature of the entire game, can't recall now if it was standard or it was a mod. I wish there was a mod for this for C5VP).

I like that wonders take up an actual tile. No more mega-wonder-cities like previous games. I'm a bit split on the districts, it's an interesting idea or concept but I don't think it worked out very well in the end.

I like that great people are a common-pool-resource. Instead of a per city thing like in Civ5. This is one of the things I like most about the game. One of the few actual improvements over previous games.

I like the idea of merging troops to corp- and armies. I hate the way combat is in general tho. But I do like that idea or aspect of it.

INDIFFERENT.
I guess the cards, governors etc are ok. Nothing spectacular. I think it's part of the lets have less buildings per city but hide the yields in other things. You can adapt to changes or whatever, clearly some are inferior to the others.

The golden age / dark age thing doesn't do much for me either. It's like the in-game score with a slight purpose.

I have no issues really with the religion aspects of the game. It's fine. Nothing spectacular about it. But it's fine.

A FEW THINGS I REALLY DON'T LIKE.
I don't like that the workers have limited uses.

I don't like it that the caravans built roads. I get that it's a nifty idea and I like it for that. I hate what it does to the map.

The AI is in almost all aspects beyond stupid and that still have not, and probably never will, be fixed. It hade horrific choices at the launch of the game and as far as I know still do.

I don't like the splitting of the tech trees into the tech and culture (or is it social) tree. I prefer the ONE tree structure. The little bonuses on the techs doesn't do much for me either really. It sort of forces you to try and go for them and do certainy things to optimize you research and I find it stupid. The later DLC addition of the random secret tech tree was kind of fun in some regard, but more of a novelty.

The unit upgrade mechanics with resources is somewhat annoying.

The whole diplogame is quite dull.

The overall feeling of that the game has been utterly dumbed down is quite hard to over come. They might have tried to make it more light to appeal to new audiences etc. Fine. Or they wanted to be played on other devices and consoles. But they stripped a lot of previously established game to make it there and it quite apparent.

THE DLC CONTENT.
I guess they are somewhat entertaining as novelties. Apocalypse and Secret societies and the weather etc. I don't think they do much in the greater picture kind of thing. It doesn't fix the game or makes it any more fun to play more then perhaps once or twice as some kind of novelty.

In that regard all the CIV games are "best" with all the content available. It tends to be that way. Have CIV6 become better since the start due to them? It has gotten extra content. It didn't really make it a better or funnier game overall and it's still as a game inferior to CIV5.

I do still play IV every now and then, but only with the mod(mod) Rhye's and Fall Dawn of Civilization.

Last edited:
Btw, for those interested in VI, a set of mods centered around City Lights, Civilizations Expanded, and JNR's Urban Complexity makes for a solid Civ experience. Unfortunately there is no overhaul mod like VP which is balanced, but these 3 make a great starting point and have compatibility with each other. They balance out each Civ's abilities and expand upon the districts and land usage in interesting ways. The bad is the AI is way easier and I find you have to play VI at about 3 to 4 difficulty levels higher than VP to be competitive. Still, is a good alternative and I enjoy switching back and forth between the 2. I think once the next stable version of VP comes out, I will probably stop updating and consider it my Gold version. With all the great AI, diplomacy, and bug fixes going on, I feel VP is where it should be.

Top Bottom