[R&F] Does the AI ever build a Government Plaza?

leandrombraz

Emperor
I'm trying to find one in the AI's territory, doesn't seem like any of them built one. Does anyone ever saw a AI's Government Plaza? If they don't build it, that's a considerable disadvantage for them.

Yes, because I’ve been beaten a few times to that new wonder that gives extra Governer promotions, and that wonder needs to be built next to a Government Plaza district.

I saw England (= London, only 1 city) once on Giant Earth Map building a government plaza on the other side of the channel, around Calais. All surounding tiles were water or owned by myself, so they could not benefit from the adjacency bonus but I think that my districts did. (This might be a bug, getting adjacency bonus from other players government plaza. The game was started before the Spring Patch.)
Starting Position for England on Giant Earth Map is difficult since they loose some tiles due to coastal start, the channel and also due to the White Cliffs of Dover which block additional tiles. Scotland forward settled England in that game, so they had only a few tiles at all.

They do, but they build it very late in the game in my observation.

This might be a bug, getting adjacency bonus from other players government plaza.
Why should it be a bug? You get adjacency bonuses from civs' other districts and features, so why wouldn't you get adjacency from their Government Plazas? I mean thematically it's a little weird, but mechanically it makes sense.

Yes. Very rarely. (But not as rarely as the AI building air units!). Even the Kongo who has a neighbourhood UI doesn't build many of these. I only ever saw one built by the AI :rolleyes:
Of course, post-R&F, why would anyone build neighborhoods? :lol: I guess the tourism and amenities from the shopping mall are nice if you have tiles and production to spare.

Of course, post-R&F, why would anyone build neighborhoods? :lol: I guess the tourism and amenities from the shopping mall are nice if you have tiles and production to spare.

There's a small window between when you unlock neighbourhoods and when you get all the housing at Democracy that they can be useful, but yeah, there's a ton of late game housing available that you really never have to.

There's a small window between when you unlock neighbourhoods and when you get all the housing at Democracy...

I think there's an argument for neighbourhoods to unlock earlier.

It just reminds me how much I love Kongo. Really, the best "tall" civ (who can also go wide when necessary).

Confirmation that the suburbs exist exclusively to promote shopping malls.

While we're on that topic: who goes to visit a foreign country because you're attracted to their shopping malls???

While we're on that topic: who goes to visit a foreign country because you're attracted to their shopping malls???

Shopping tourism is actually a pretty big deal – it's not quite a shopping mall as depicted in Rise & Fall, but high-end department stores like Harrods and Selfridges are a big feature on tourists' radars when they come to London, and cities all over the world invest a lot of money into malls and shops to attract tourist spending.

Shopping tourism is actually a pretty big deal – it's not quite a shopping mall as depicted in Rise & Fall, but high-end department stores like Harrods and Selfridges are a big feature on tourists' radars when they come to London, and cities all over the world invest a lot of money into malls and shops to attract tourist spending.

Good point. I guess I knew that and chose to mentally block it. :)

I know a lot of people who go on vacation and shop. If I'm shopping on vacation, it's not at a mall and it's for something that's a local specialty (like jade in British Columbia or Navajo/Zuni jewelry in Arizona). :p I have gone to a mall on vacation once or twice, but to see a movie, not to shop. :p Also that was all domestic tourism except BC, so... :p

I know a lot of people who go on vacation and shop.

Singapore. (It's basically one giant shopping mall connected by roads) :lol:

When I used to work in London I would fly to New York for long bank holidays to buy shoes from the Nike Store...those days of lots of disposable income :D

I see government plaza's built all the time by Civ's (and are often beaten to said wonder - gah). Then I play Marathon, so I dunno if that impacts their ability to fit the thing into their plans...

Top Bottom