Does the AI react to where you send settlers?

Aiken_Drumn

Deity
Supporter
I swear, the moment I have a settler travelling to a resource, or luxury, the AI does the same.

Are they responding to my moves?! Or just naturally targeting settling near resources too?

There has been debate:

Different playstyles and how game mechanics & exploits affect your preferred playstyle and enjoyment | Page 4 | CivFanatics Forums

This specific debate gets going on page 3, but I've linked to page 4 as that's when the screenshots start showing that, IMO, there's actual evidence of it.
It seems from pages 4-5 of that thread that one should never automate even where the Settler or any other unit is headed - maybe unless perhaps within one's territory, or somewhere you can get immediately via RR.

Which begs the question. Could you automate movement slightly away from your direction and cause a AI settler to head somewhere less offencive?!

How do you differentiate between an AI trying to settle a random chunk of land and coincidentally arriving when you arrive and an AI sending a settler to where you're sending your settler?

More detailed analysis of that aspect will be in the linked discussion, it seems redundant to repeat it all in a second thread while the other is still recent and active.

How do you differentiate between an AI trying to settle a random chunk of land and coincidentally arriving when you arrive and an AI sending a settler to where you're sending your settler?

Raw emotion, and fury that they decided to settle where I wanted to mere turns before myself.

I've often found myself save-scumming in an attempt to block this happening! :lol:

I'm not a believer on this one. But on the related issue of barbarian huts spawning on a square I have sent my settler to I'm paranoid enough to send the settler to a square a couple of spaces away and manually move them in. I'm not proud of this almost certainly misplaced paranoia.

I have seen too many cases of AI settlers showing up on a tile just when my settler gets there to view it as coincidence. The same holds true for AI settlers establishing a city on a future resource. I do not believe this is by chance at all, but is built into the game.

That would mean you could send a settler to some spot, then the ai will go there and then you rush a settler and take the spot you originally wanted.
Nah. Not buying it.

I have had it happen twice on your mod. In one case, the Mongols and in the other the Egyptians. So far.

However, @timerover51 is correct that the AI knows where all the resources are -- including the Industrial/Modern ones like Oil and Uranium that haven't yet been revealed by their respective techs.

The Flintlock mod holds an option to see the probability, that the AI will settle these tiles next: red: high, yellow: medium, white: minimal, all other tiles: not acceptable. Therefore of course there can be interferences between tiles that the AI wants to settle and tiles that the human player wants to settle.

To start that option of the Flintlock mod, a biq, started in Debug mode is needed.

Last edited:
Top Bottom