Does Venice need an extra yield hexagon?

I wouldn't waste going to Liberty just to get a GM that way. Just remember to get coastal CSes to keep internal food/hammers strong. Your capital will almost always be a superpower. Just imagine more than 1 food routes. I might start a Venice game soon and see how crazy it is to get Colossus/Petra while at it.

I'm obviously playing them wrong. They are the only civ that I've had a struggle at keeping up with. I play on King and struggle mightily to keep up on production and science. I have to play nice or lose out on research agreements.

who needs more yields, when u can get more internal trade routes which offer the same food or production like 2 tiles ore even more late game?

A 4 tile range (probably for the capital only) would be a very interesting UA for another civ.

Venice is strong as is. I play King\Emperor (was Prince\King in G+K), but I won a Deity game as Venice on archipelago. If anything, their trade route bonus could be nerfed from double to 50% more, though I don't think that's necessary either.

I could write a lot about playing Venice, but my quick advice is:
- Use internal trade routes to give as many apples to Venice as you can.
- Build the market\bank\exchange in good time (without killing yourself over it) and always work the merchants.
- IMO Tradition is better than Liberty because of the apple routes, even though Liberty is very good for them.
- Don't be afraid to make Friendships for Research Agreements - make trade routes to every civ to decrease risk of denouncement\war over this.
- Buy CSs that are on the coast and have a lot of units. Leave a quarter to a third of them to ally if going for diplo victory - the Level 3 Freedom tenet that gives influence for trade routes is late-game dynamite for Venice.

Ok. I think you're right, except the part of Venice getting nerfed. In a personal note, I didn't like Venice at all until I tried them. Then they're one of my favorite civs (after Poland, of course), and I thought about an extra tile ring especially for resources (estrategic and luxury ones), or maybe mines and so.

Thank you very much for all your replies.

Top Bottom