Early game tech order

Xenotitan

Prince
I thought it would be interesting to have a thread where we all discuss what we think the optimal early tech order is and the reasons why.

I usually go with chemistry -> pioneering -> planetary survey / ecology. The order of the last two changes based on the map and alien placement. Chemistry because both the recycler and lab make a big difference early on, and pioneering because we all know how important trade routes are. Planetary survey is a boon for your explorers trying to clear the map for trade routes. Ultrasonic fence has one of the best quests in the game as well and since when you get the quest is luck based it's best to get the building up before you need the quest.

What tech orders do you guys favor?

Im always stay to this plan:

1. Pioneering (settlers and TR asap)
2. Chemistry (if i got bones near, i reload until i got drone from it and send drone over the water to make path for vessels, so i ignore continental survey. if i dont have bones near - i start new game)
3. Engineering (i need open path to autoplants and improve my GPT for trading with AI, so reactor with +5 gpt the core thing for it)
4. Robotics (autoplants)
5. Continental Survey (for sending explorers and settlers to other continents)
6. Ecology (protect my TR)

Depends on if I took the Tectonic Scanner or not.

If I didn't I usualy go pioneering > engineering > chemistry > ecology > geothermal > affinity tech

If I did it's pioneering > genetics > chemistry > physics > engineering and then first affinity tech

I like having ready access to labs and cytonurseries. Nifty little things. Not having to research a leaf tech for the geothermal is nice too.

Your reason for 2 seems rather cheaty.

drone is just a difference between average game and potentially great game. it's no fun for me at this stage of game balance to waste time for continue average games. Why cheaty? I have a couple of other reasons, when i stop playing and start new map, but they far from tech path.

I use my seed to start off automatically with Pioneering, so I go straight for Genetics to get Pharmalabs early on (Health can often be an issue for me). After that I usually research Engineering, Chemistry and Ecology, and after that my early research is dependent on whatever circumstances I find myself in.

Genetics > Engineering > Chemistry > Ecology

I usually go Pioneering -> Ecology -> Chemistry and then shoot for Robotics, with the connecting tech depending on terrain and situation. I'll mix Planetary Survey in there if I've got water resources to hook up or really need to get explorers off my starting continent.

@AlaskA Drones are awesome, but I'm just as happy to get free affinity XP. Even Raptor Bugs are pretty good for speeding up exploration. The only disappointment from bones is Manticores (unless I've got the Dogmatic Engineering quest and need to smash a station early).

I usually go Pioneering>Chemistry>Ecology unless I'm thinking of going Purity and I didn't take techtonic scanner, in which case Engineering. After that either Physics or Genetics then usually toward an affinity leaf tech.

I'm realizing it's very difficult to have a step by step research order because it's really heavily influenced by affinity and if an early war is likely.

Is there any advantage to researching a first ring technology right away and then picking up pioneering second since it will be cheaper after others have researched it?

Well, if you research Chemistry and Engineering first you can see where the petroleum and titanium is and thus have a better idea of where to settle. These become less valuable of course if you take tectonic scanner. Also, the recycler and lab from chemistry are both very strong buildings in the early game. Whether its worth it is a question of how much taking those delays your first trade route.

I don't know for sure, but I bet on the higher difficulties the AI starts with pioneering like they start with planetary survey. So you wouldn't have to wait to get the bonus to research pioneering. Actually, has anyone confirmed that techs are cheaper once the other players have researched them?

Eeeeewwwwww Chemistry.

I go pioneering, ecology. Computing, then beeline for robotics.

Expansion/trade, repulsor quest, spies, more trade. $_$

1) Pioneering (Claim 3-4 Settlement Sites ASAP, and complete early Settle Quests)
2a) Planetary Survey (only if I have algae and I have settled my capital on the ocean)
2b) Chemistry (reveals petroleum, and new building quests)
3) Engineering (combat rovers, reveal titanium, and new building quests)
4) Computing (missile rovers, and Spy Agency ASAP)
5) Beeline to my chosen Affinity-4

This gives me the ability to build 3-4 combat rovers and 3-4 missile rovers ASAP which are usually sufficient to take out an underdeveloped AI or two. Pursuing Affinity makes those units into Armor and Artillery. Later I supplement my army with Affinity-4 Units and easily roll the remaining AI on any difficulty level.

Top Bottom