Easy-Start Modkit for CivIII Conquests

Myth5,

There are a few different things that could be the problem. For a start, please tell me which unit you tried to add. Was it one you downloaded from here?

If the icon didn't work, it could possibly be in the wrong number of colours, or the transparency colours might not be in the right place on the palette.

As for the animations not working, do you mean that the unit is visibly buildable, but when you try to build it it gives an error message? And if so, what is the message? Or do you build the unit o.k. and for some reason the animations don't display.

If you can let me know what unit you added and maybe what steps you followed it will be easier to figure out what the problem could be.

Myth5,

There are a few different things that could be the problem. For a start, please tell me which unit you tried to add. Was it one you downloaded from here?

If the icon didn't work, it could possibly be in the wrong number of colours, or the transparency colours might not be in the right place on the palette.

As for the animations not working, do you mean that the unit is visibly buildable, but when you try to build it it gives an error message? And if so, what is the message? Or do you build the unit o.k. and for some reason the animations don't display.

If you can let me know what unit you added and maybe what steps you followed it will be easier to figure out what the problem could be.

I actually followed your advice, creating a Swedish Pikeman unit (downloaded off a forum here). I made a map editor game, and assigned the unit everything I was supposed to (calling it "PRTO_Swedish_Pikeman). I then went to MyMod art and put in the two .pcx icons, then went to PediaIcons and put in a Swedish Pikeman and entered the two .pcx names instead of the 12pikemansmall stuff. then I made a Swedish Pikeman Animname at the bottom of PediaIcons, and entered "Swedish Pikeman" underneath. I then put a few Swedish Pikeman units in my map so when I started it up I would see if the unit worked or not. I kept starting it up and it would say "error in text 'PediaIcons.txt" thing, or it would give the "error in text PediaIcons Animname_Swedish_Pikeman" thing. So I'm not sure what's wrong, and why it's not getting the custom images/animations. Also, part of the problem may be, I put "MyMods" as the reference folder in the Conqests edit prgram. Is this the correct folder to reference? (I haven't changed the folder at all). Any help is appreciated ;)

If you've made sure to copy the exact names into the pediaicons text correctly, then it could possibly be not finding the mod's folder, as you suggested. If you used the default 'biq' file called CustomMod.biq that came with the kit, and put everything in the right spot, then it should find it ok. However, if you created a new one, then possibly when you suggested that you have "MyMods" as a reference folder in the scenarios property, you may have accidently added an 's'. If you haven't changed the folder, it is called "MyMod", not "MyMods" as you said in your post, unless that was just a 'typo' in the post. You may wish to check that.

Otherwise, if the spelling is correct for the above, and you're sure that the spelling is correct in the pediaicons text, and it's still not working, then if you can, please upload your biq. file and pediaicons text for me to have a look at and I'll check it for you.

If you've made sure to copy the exact names into the pediaicons text correctly, then it could possibly be not finding the mod's folder, as you suggested. If you used the default 'biq' file called CustomMod.biq that came with the kit, and put everything in the right spot, then it should find it ok. However, if you created a new one, then possibly when you suggested that you have "MyMods" as a reference folder in the scenarios property, you may have accidently added an 's'. If you haven't changed the folder, it is called "MyMod", not "MyMods" as you said in your post, unless that was just a 'typo' in the post. You may wish to check that.

Otherwise, if the spelling is correct for the above, and you're sure that the spelling is correct in the pediaicons text, and it's still not working, then if you can, please upload your biq. file and pediaicons text for me to have a look at and I'll check it for you.

I believe the reference folder is correct, i just remembered incorrectly. I put "MyMod" as a reference. So it's not that...Oh btw I did make a new scenario, I didn't know the mod folder came with one :crazyeye:

I checked the icons now, and the names are correct. On the same note, when I pasted the city screen mini icon of the unit, i couldn't select it in map editor...but that's a minor issue.

anyway, I'll upload the stuff and see if you can help :)

Oh for some reason it won't let me upload my biq...

View attachment PediaIcons.txt

View attachment Civ 3 custom map.zip

If you put your biq file in a .zip folder you can upload it. I'll need that to check your pediaicons txt. and make sure everything is ok. After you've done that, while you wait for me to answer, just double check the following:

1. Make sure that the MyMod folder is inside the Conquest's 'Scenarios' folder.
2. Make sure that your biq. file is in the Conquest's 'Scenarios' folder, but not in the MyMod folder. It should look something like the attached picture.
3. Make sure that in the editor, in your biq file, the 'Scenarios Properties' contains 'MyMod' in the proper location, as shown in the picture.

Attachments

• MyModSetup.jpg
    MyModSetup.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 149
If you put your biq file in a .zip folder you can upload it. I'll need that to check your pediaicons txt. and make sure everything is ok. After you've done that, while you wait for me to answer, just double check the following:

1. Make sure that the MyMod folder is inside the Conquest's 'Scenarios' folder.
2. Make sure that your biq. file is in the Conquest's 'Scenarios' folder, but not in the MyMod folder. It should look something like the attached picture.
3. Make sure that in the editor, in your biq file, the 'Scenarios Properties' contains 'MyMod' in the proper location, as shown in the picture.

Thank you so much for the help! your post just helped me fix it! I had the MyMod in the conqests/conquest folder, instead of conqests/scenarios :crazyeye: But my animation is still off, so i'm gonna try and fix that. But thanks for all the help :goodjob:

I'm having a bit of a problem with pediaicons now, though. I tried to edit the animation (I accidentally set it to a flak) but it wouldn't let me save the text document because the trail is incomplete or something. i'm gonna see what I can do

EDIT: I fixed it, I now have a great looking new unit! thanks again :)

Edit 2: I tried it now, and it works (animations and such), but whenever I try to settle a city or look at my military advisor, civ stops working. it doesn't give an error, but it continually does such. So I don't know if you know what would help...

EDIT: I fixed it, I now have a great looking new unit! thanks again :)

I'm glad to help.:)

Edit 2... but whenever I try to settle a city or look at my military advisor, civ stops working. it doesn't give an error, but it continually does such. So I don't know if you know what would help...

Hmm. I'm not sure what could be the problem there. I'll try to figure it out, but I suggest that you post the problem in the main Creation & Customization forum, because there's probably a lot of people that will see it there that have had similar problems and might be able to help quicker. I don't think that it's a problem with the modkit, but rather something unusual that you might have accidently done.

Have you only added this unit, or have you added any buildings or anything else?

I'm glad to help.:)

Hmm. I'm not sure what could be the problem there. I'll try to figure it out, but I suggest that you post the problem in the main Creation & Customization forum, because there's probably a lot of people that will see it there that have had similar problems and might be able to help quicker. I don't think that it's a problem with the modkit, but rather something unusual that you might have accidently done.

Have you only added this unit, or have you added any buildings or anything else?

No just this unit...i'll go ahead and post it there, but does the game have to be opened up in scenarios, or will it work in conquests? that may be the problem.

Thanks for the help though!

No just this unit...i'll go ahead and post it there, but does the game have to be opened up in scenarios, or will it work in conquests? that may be the problem.

Thanks for the help though!

I don't think that that would be causing that particular problem, but it should be opened up in scenarios.

I also posted something in the C&C post about a problem in your pediaicons.txt. Hopefully that solves your problem.

This sounds cool, but I keep getting "Cannot create path specified" errors.

Hi Ethan,

Sorry for the late response. It's been a very busy week. I'm not sure what you mean by "Cannot create path specified" errors. Please let me know at what point you get that message. Perhaps, if you could, the steps you took from downloading the modkit to when and how you got the error message.

Thanks a lot for this very useful ModKit. Though I am almost fluent in English (but a native german speaker) I prefer to play it in German.

So I have made a german version of it (by simply exchanging the relevant text files with those from the german Conquests 1.22 Version).

Since I am not a frequent visitor due to my limited time for leisure, I don't really know how to bring the ZIP File to other german forum members.

Can someone tell me how to upload it?

Cheers

Will

wwkoehler, if you click "Go Advanced" when posting or editing a post it will take you to a page that will have paperclip icon in a toolbar that runs along the top of the post. Use that to attach stuff.

Welcome to CFC (posting)!! :D

Welcome to CFC, wwkoehler. :)

General 666, I'm glad that you could use it so much.:)

Thanx for the tips to find the obvious :blush:

Sorry for the delay - been pretty busy.

Okay, I'll give it my first try.

Hope it works.

Attachments

• MyMod_GER.zip
    743.1 KB · Views: 128
Thanks for that, wwkoehler, I'll add a mention to this in the first post.:)

So, to create a new civilization I would follow your steps for the 'Marine Barracks' building but in place of #BLDG in the PediaIcons and Civlopedia I would use #RACE, right?

Hi NUCFLASH,

Creating a new civ is a similar to adding a building, but different in that you don't need to deal with eras and only need pics for the Civilopedia\Icons\Races folder. If you want to add a new leader you've got other issues.

First, it's better to change one of the 31 civs than to add one. Just to make sure, don't 'Add' in the editor if you already have 31 civs. Your 32nd civ will just disappear after you close the editor because you can only have 31 civs max.

As you said, the main thing you're changing in the text files for adding a civ is the stuff with the '#RACE'. It's easy just to copy and paste another civ's entry and modify it. What you need to do to add a civ is:

Civ Conquests editor:
As I said, better to just 'change' a civ rather than 'add' one, if you already have 31 civs. Then all you have to do is change any information you want, and make sure you change the civilopedia entry from, let's say RACE_ROMANS to whatever your new civ is. Pretending your new civ is the Narnians, you would change it to RACE_NARNIANS (or whatever you want to use, but whatever you enter here you use in your 'Civilopedia' text file and your 'Pediaicons' text file).

'Civilopedia' text file:
This one's easy. Only one thing to do. Lets say your civ is still the Narnians, go to the bottom of the 'Civilopedia' text file where the races are listed and add a new entry called #RACE_NARNIANS and type your description of them. You'll note that you can add #DESC_RACE_NARNIANS to continue your description. If you're not sure what I mean just look at other race entries and you'll see what I mean.

'Pediaicons' text file:
This takes a little more work. You need to add the following entries in the text file. A large and small race civilopedia icon entry, an advisor entry, and ten leaderhead entries. All these entries are at the top of the 'Pediaicons' text file. How much work this is depends on whether you're using an existing leaderhead for the new civ, or adding a new one.
If you're using an existing leaderhead for the new civ, let's pretend you're changing Caesar from the Romans to the leader of your new Narnian civ, then copy and paste all the entries that involve #RACE_ROMANS or #..._RACE_ROMANS and change the new one to #RACE_NARNIANS and #..._RACE_NARNIANS, and you're pretty much good to go. If you're not sure what I mean, go through the top portion of the 'Pediaicons' text where you'll see something like:

#START LEADER/RACE ART
#RACE_ROMANS
art\leaderheads\CE.pcx
art\advisors\CE_all.pcx
#RACE_EGYPTIANS
art\leaderheads\CL.pcx
art\advisors\CL_all.pcx

And copy and paste the Romans entry, changing it to Narnians, so that you have:

#START LEADER/RACE ART
#RACE_ROMANS
art\leaderheads\CE.pcx
art\advisors\CE_all.pcx
#RACE_NARNIANS
art\leaderheads\CE.pcx
art\advisors\CE_all.pcx
#RACE_EGYPTIANS
art\leaderheads\CL.pcx
art\advisors\CL_all.pcx

You'll see that the new Narnian civilization uses the original Roman's leaderhead and advisor pictures.

Here's the other entries (using the Romans as an example) that you'd have to copy and change:

#HAPPY_RACE_ROMANS
art\leaderheads\CE_HAP.pcx

#SHAPP_RACE_ROMANS
art\leaderheads\CE_SHAP.pcx

#LKISS_RACE_ROMANS
art\leaderheads\CE_KIS.pcx

#SKISS_RACE_ROMANS
art\leaderheads\CE_SKIS.pcx

#ANGRY_RACE_ROMANS
art\leaderheads\CE_ANG.pcx

#ILOVE_RACE_ROMANS
art\leaderheads\CE_CULT.pcx

#LOVED_RACE_ROMANS
art\leaderheads\CE_CULTB.pcx

#LHURT_RACE_ROMANS
art\leaderheads\CE_CONQ_L.pcx

#HURTN_RACE_ROMANS
art\leaderheads\CE_CONQ.pcx

#ICON_RACE_ROMANS
art\civilopedia\icons\races\romanslarge.pcx
art\civilopedia\icons\races\romanssmall.pcx

Once you've copied and changed all those to your new Narnian civ, you're all done.

Now, if you want to use an all new leaderhead, then you should still start out by doing all that copying and changing the civ name, but then after that change all the Narnian race entries to your new leaderheads files. For example, change:

#RACE_NARNIANS
art\leaderheads\CE.pcx
art\advisors\CE_all.pcx

to

#RACE_NARNIANS
art\leaderheads\NARNIAN_LEADERHEAD.pcx
art\advisors\NARNIAN_LEADERHEAD_all.pcx

All your file entries need to match the file names of the leaderhead files you put in your mod, so if you're adding a new leaderhead and don't know how to do it, better to look up a tutorial on adding a leaderhead to your mod. If you have trouble finding one let me know and I'll try to help further.

If I've explained way too detailed for you because you knew most of this and just wanted some confirmation of what you're doing, then at least this long explanation might help someone else looking to add a new civ.;)

Top Bottom