[R&F] Editing existing civilization mod

Ah no, I totally forgot you mentioned a specific version so I think I downloaded the latest one.
I'll try again with the right one later!

Will I have the same problem if I want to change the civilization icon? Or should that be more straightforward?

Thanks a lot for all the help, by the way :)

If I remember right at leader choice your leader icons will not show, unless you copy all your dds files to core gamedata (or other place I dont remember right now)

But in game, if all configured right the icons and leaderheads appear as right, see my mod, where I use the icons and dds may be different. I use a full image in diplo screen, and cleo appears (like telling a story :p)

Okay, I download the 16.4 version of Portugal and used those leaders and leaderbackfalls artdef files, but I still get Mussolini's face everywhere. I'm assuming the bits that are commented out are to be left commented out? Apart from that, not sure what I'm doing wrong :3

Regarding the icons, you mean the dds need to physically copied in the core folder, or just linked through the Icondefinitions.sql file(s)?

You have to see if dds props in sql/xml are similar, for instance loadinginfo and diplomacyinfo present in file definitions?

For the icons, first try, if they dont appear at choice screen you have to copy DDS files only,

You mean compare the loadinginfo and diplomacyinfo between JFD's version and your Portugal 16.4 version?

The icons don't seem to be working in the choice screen, nor in the game. Do I just copy the icon dds files from Textures/ to Core/ (leaving them also in Textures/, I guess)?

yes, and search for your dds to see if all is correct, maybe not straight forward because many places to look for, use a good search program for that,

If correctly configured it appears in game and not in loading screen, but if all is ok and dont show in select screen here is the place to put (see post): Portugal Civilization (Civ 6 vanilla and R&F) assets copy

I'm going to have a look regarding the leaders' dds and let you know.

Regarding the icons, which I hope should be a bit simpler, do I just copy them as they are in Steam Library>\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization VI\Base\Assets, or do I make a folder in there for the files? I just tried just pasting the files in the folder (no subfolder), and still nothing :3

Directly to assets (this makes them appear at first try, if you did not have those files copied, and all is configured ok, icons would appear in a game exit to main menu and new game again). So, If continues blank, probably missing configurations in SQL/XML.

But what sort of configurations in SQL/XML are we talking about for the icons?
There is of course a file that handles icon definitions; but how am I to change that?

Is it not possible at all to obtain ModBuddy without having purchased the game through Steam? It would make the whole thing so much simpler, as I would just need to compile it all :rolleyes::wallbash:

I am happy to report that I managed to fix all the icons, and also the leader images, both in the selection menu and the loading screen! :D

The only slight remaining issue is that once in a game, if I click on my leader icon, I get Cleopatra :lol:
Do you know what may cause it?

Attachments

• LorenzoDeMedici.png
    LorenzoDeMedici.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 115
Good job :)

about cleo, i had it too, i think its the breaking of the artdefs but also necessary to work in that static way. I only solved that with modbuddy.

Edited: but thats why i added leader in background (until that version), so like cleo telling the story of that leader :p

Last edited:
Thank you :)

I see. No problem, then. I'm content with my effort, though I already want to add more!

Another thing I cannot seem to be able to change is the civ symbol in the loyalty lens. I have a couple of dds images called Italy_overlay and Italy_pressure which I have changed to the new icon, but I still get the old one in the game. I think it may be controlled by a couple of .ast files, but I don't see them calling any .dds files.

And a big thank you for all your help and patience! :)

Last edited:
Hi Raen, sorry to bother you again, but I noticed something weird when I saved the game with my custom civilization. The icons of the civ and of the leader look shifted (particularly the leader, which is cut in half!)!
The strange thing is, they look perfectly fine in the pause menu.
*scratches his head*
Has this ever happened to you?

Attachments

• LorenzoDeMedici_face_and_icon_split.png
    LorenzoDeMedici_face_and_icon_split.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 149
Ah okay, I thought I had messed up something!
Is that still a consequence of not using ModBuddy?

Top Bottom