eferee Merk Calls For Video Replays

holy king

Deity
Top German referee Markus Merk has called for video replays to be used in order to prevent the growing number of mistakes and errors like the one he made at the weekend between Werder Bremen and Borussia Dortmund.

The Fifa referee allowed Werder’s opening goal to stand even though TV replays showed that Markus Rosenberg was clearly offside. Minutes after allowing the goal, Merk saw the replay on the stadiums video screen and realised his mistake.

The two-times ‘World referee of the year’ has now called on the use of replays to help the men in black.

"It is bad when everybody in the stadium gets to see that we have made an incorrect decision. I saw it on the big screen straight after" he explained.

"That is one of the worst moments in my almost 20-year career; it was very bitter."

Merk, who reffed the Euro 2004 final, is of the opinion that errors like his just prove the need for video technology to be used.

"With all the possibilities we have available nowadays, every disputable decision can be resolved in a minute" he said.

http://www.goal.com/en-india/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=608985

he has now released a 30 page paper demanding replays from the fifa (couldnt find an english article about that)

in detail he wants a team of 3 neutral guys who'd decide over close calls by watching the replay, that should happen within "a few seconds."

what do you think?

1) Why do they allow replays in the stadium monitors? I thought this was against the rules?
2) I support this. A system similar to the one used in American Football could really help the game. Let's say each team can challenge 2 plays per game and if they win the first two, they get a third challenge.

Merk is a (imagine evil swear word here)!

First of all the slightly wrong decision of Saturday was, as TV analysis showed, a total everyday thing, possibly not even wrong.

And Merk's been a referee for 20 years and has made so many so far worse mistakes. So why now?

Well, ain't it obvious? If they'd introduce an outside of the pitch video referee, who would that be? Right, experienced former refs. Including who?

Exactly, Dr. "oh no my career is over" Merk.

Merk is a (imagine evil swear word here)!

First of all the slightly wrong decision of Saturday was, as TV analysis showed, a total everyday thing, possibly not even wrong.

And Merk's been a referee for 20 years and has made so many so far worse mistakes. So why now?

Well, ain't it obvious? If they'd introduce an outside of the pitch video referee, who would that be? Right, experienced former refs. Including who?

Exactly, Dr. "oh no my career is over" Merk.

that may or may not explain merk's motvies, however i think it is an idea to consider...
maybe give each team 2/3 challenges per game, plus the possibilty of a "booth review" if the ref himself is unsure?
of course the question is how fast that would be, i think if it lasts below 30 seconds it's ok...
and i dont know if it's possible but, what about the idea of a sideline camera with a computer programm that determines wether it's offside or not and then alarms the ref?

the main problem with those ideas though are the old men at fifa, who want "the game to be the exact same on the streets of rio and in wembley", which it isnt anyway, you have no ref on the streets and no linesmen in lower leagues...

Who cares about his motives? This is a good idea.

I say you give each coach the power to ask for a replay, a minimum or 3 times, and a maximum of 10. If they get it wrong, they lose a try. Also make it so that you can use only one of these in the last 15 mins of a game.

If the ref calls for an offside, a coach challenges the decision and wins.. Give the coach's team an indirect free-kick.

This would really improve the game, imo.

Football is too free-flowing for this to work.

Agree, for example if there is a potential foul or goal, you can't stop the play and then say it wasn't a foul or goal, it would make the game too stop start.

Agree, for example if there is a potential foul or goal, you can't stop the play and then say it wasn't a foul or goal, it would make the game too stop start.

Well, that's why the coaches would only have 2-3 challenges per game, so they have use them only in really important situations such a penalty or a goal that shouldn't have been allowed. They could just throw a red flag or something to signal the challenge. Also, the rules for challenging a play would have to be worked out first.

It does not seem feasible without drastically altering the game. Plus, IMO the human element in the referreeing just adds to the drama and atmosphere of the game. And I don't believe it'd drastically improve ref quality, which would be neccesary for this to be implimented anyway.

and i dont know if it's possible but, what about the idea of a sideline camera with a computer programm that determines wether it's offside or not and then alarms the ref?

what about that idea? a robot linesman wouldnt alter the game in any way...

Well, that's why the coaches would only have 2-3 challenges per game, so they have use them only in really important situations such a penalty or a goal that shouldn't have been allowed. They could just throw a red flag or something to signal the challenge. Also, the rules for challenging a play would have to be worked out first.

Well you could abuse it, there would have to rules about when the red flag could be used, otherwise we could have some dogey use of the system (ie using it when under pressure in the box in an extreme example)
I can see why people want it, but in a way it is one of the perks of the game, every monday you go into work and argue whether it was a goal or not!
I just think it would have to much of a negative impact on the game for what it is trying to get

And how do you program a computer to determine whether someone's offside or not?

You NEED a human to make that decision - it'd be impossible to program a computer to call offsides.

i think the rules on offside are pretty clear and straightforward and fail to see why only a human can determine wether offside or not?

There is a lot to work out before this can be taken seriously. Should play continue for a set period of time THEN the ruling given? Example: Team A's striker is called offside; should the play continue to see if a goal results quickly then the replay officials rule on whether on not he was indeed offsides? In cases where he was but lost the ball back to Team B it would actually be less disruptive as the ruling could be noted but no free kick would have to be awarded. A sort of advantage rule to the defending team.

Top Bottom