Emperor, always struggling against the always ahead runaway.

In the file newunits.sql between lines 358 & 359 inserted:

('UNIT_ZEPPELIN', 'PROMOTION_CAN_MOVE_AFTER_ATTACKING'),

No problems up through version 5-19. Haven’t built zeps in 6-2 yet.
In 6-2, zeps already move after attack by default, so no need for the tweak.

@psparky, if you use the above code, note that it will not apply on the zeps you already have (me thinks).

In 6-2, zeps already move after attack by default, so no need for the tweak.
Yep, I see the line is in MeleeUnits.sql so the addition in NewUnits.sql is no longer needed.
It's gratifying to see I was ahead of the pack for a while.

It also underscores how the difficulty levels are convenient packages but we can make our own incremental changes in difficulty.

This discussion on emperor level inspired me to play a emperor level vanilla version. It was kind of a perverse pleasure. Like a kid stirring ants with a stick. I definitely appreciate the evolution of Vox Populi.

I tried the change for Zeppelins in my old version and it worked. However, as I feared, the promotion is retained when upgrading to paratroopers and does allow them to melee attack and then move. I believe that this will also happen in the current VP release. If so, is that a problem?

I tried the change for Zeppelins in my old version and it worked. However, as I feared, the promotion is retained when upgrading to paratroopers and does allow them to melee attack and then move. I believe that this will also happen in the current VP release. If so, is that a problem?
In the current version of VP (since mid-2018), Zeppelins are skirmishers. No promotion necessary.

In the current version of VP (since mid-2018), Zeppelins are skirmishers. No promotion necessary.
That is not correct as far as I can see. In 5-19 (the latest I have) they are still Recon units with the promotion. LarryAR posted that the promotion is still applied in 6-2.

Also, as I understand it, skirmishers are archery units with the Can Move After Attacking promotion, not a special class that gives them the ability.

I still believe that there's a potential issue that paratroopers from upgraded zeppelins can melee attack and then move.

The promotion is lost in upgrade so that shouldn't happen.

Once upon a time, I started adding the Can_Move_After_Attacking promotion to the zeppelins promotion list in a file. I didn’t realize when later versions starting listing the promotion in a different file. So my entry became redundant and unnecessary.

Feeding my curiosity, a few days ago I re-installed and reloaded a few older versions.
In a recent version I saw where paratroopers inherited the promotion. This is may be a self-inflicted side effect of making the promotion redundant in a second file.

In short, when we try these things at home, there may be unintended consequences …

The promotion is lost in upgrade so that shouldn't happen.

As I understand it, the lost on upgrade flag is an attribute of the promotion itself. It is not set for CanMoveAfterAttacking in the latest source on Github.

Larry, I don't believe the issue is caused by having two occurrences as in my experiment (in a version that predates the change) I saw it when there was only one.

Can anybody actually confirm either way if upgraded paratroopers are inheriting the promotion in the latest version?

Can anybody actually confirm...
Apologies to the op for the thread drift.

Using version 6-2 with unedited files, Really Advanced Setup, and IGE start in Information era, with zeppelins, paratroopers, and special forces:

Yes -The zeppelin promotion, can_move_after_attacking, did get inherited thru upgrades from zeppelin to paratrooper and also onward to special forces.
and Yes - freshly trained paratroopers and special forces did NOT get the promotion.

A case can be made that all paratroops and special forces should receive the can_move_after_attacking
promotion due to their lighter equipment and reduced combat strength.

I posted on GitHub and G confirms it's intended - a boost for upgraded units.

Top Bottom