Emperor Challenge 7: England, Continents

geolawyerman

Chieftain
Since it's been over a week since the last challenge has been posted, I wanted to post a new one.

You will be playing as Elizabeth I of England on a Continents map, which means you will be able to use both the Longbowman, which has a range of 3 and replaces the Crossbowman, as well as the Ship of the Line, which replaces and is stronger than the Frigate. The English UA is Sun Never Sets, which gives you +2 naval movement and 1 extra spy.

The start position isn't the greatest, but you have the ability to go coastal, which I did.

Attachments

• Elizabeth_0000 BC-4000.Civ5Save
    510 KB · Views: 61
  • screen3.jpg
    screen3.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 341
I was gonna post an immortal game, but I guess I'll play this instead. English strategy is pretty straight forward, you could write a script for it.

OK so I played 95 turns on this. I chose to settle 1 SW on the lake.

Spoiler :
I always play England as an armed camp, so I went 3 Tradition until I got the extra food while I set research to writing>mining>wheel>const>philo>machinery. I made a bunch of archers, took Honor and started shooting up the place. I stole a worker from the religious CS (met him first, took protection pantheon for denial). Made a second city on coast to SE for the silver. Sold horses to everyone. When cbows were researched, I upgraded my men and killed the Arab. Lost a few bowmen, but continually made more. The death of the Arab pissed off the world. He had to die first for strategic position and easy of access to his city. RammK set a huge force of warriors after me to teach me a lesson. Too bad they marched into the teeth of my 6 Military Tradition c-bows. That's where I am at.

Oh great to see it posted, I was feeling so embarassed about noone playing Iroquois Terra game.
I'd probably settle beside the mountain in this one (isn't there a mountain 2NW?) and just chop enough jungle to be productive until univercity+observatory. First climb the hill with the warrior though.

So many good games, so little time.

I'd like to play this but I'm not sure when I will finish IC9 with America.

A new GotM is coming out soon too.

As for this map, that looks like a challenging start.

I've played about 100 turns so far.

Spoiler :
So, I'm not very experienced with civ, and that may be why I haven't had a great start on this map. I did snag Pottery as well as Writing from ruins, and went for a 2-city NC, settling my second city directly south on the wine. I was DOW'ed by Arabia right after I got comp bows, so I was able to fend off their rush pretty easily, but I failed to take Damascus. I started to beeline to education, but I decided to go for Longbows instead. When I get those, I'll take out Arabia (I'll leave them with a city) and then DOW Siam, who decided to put a city right on my doorstep. However, killing Rammy will be a long slog, considering he's in the jungle. If I can start the ball rolling with Longbows, I might be able to get a domination victory around t250. I realize there's alot of room for improvement, as I always suck militarily and my economy is in the tank.

As for this map, that looks like a challenging start.
Spoiler :
The start is pretty rough, and you won't have much room for other cities-all the AIs take what little space there is.

My game is Longbows bought for 180 Faith and cranking 40 Faith a turn.

Spoiler :
I went Liberty because of the junglely cap spot and how long it was going to take to produce Settlers otherwise. Took Jungle culture pantheon so I left them standing unless they were covering a lux. Swiped workers from Babylon and CS up near there, and settled NNE river copper hill and WSW river hill near Sinai. I got Great Library, really late even for Emperor, thought about slingshot to Iron Working but took Philosophy instead.

Eventually went to war for control of my river and Arabia didn't want it as much as I did. He only had two cities and I wanted both. Oda wiped out Ramkamhaeng while I was doing so. Babylon's Petra/Chichen cap was much better than mine so I nabbed it, eventually annexed it and am using it for wonder production. Oda and Hiawatha were running away in their areas of the world so I marched on Oda. I left Mecca undefended as too tempting of a target for Hiawatha so he DoWed me. He helped me by halving the population there and then I halved it again when I retook it. No more happiness problems! Mohawk Warriors vs. promoted Longbows went like you would expect. Heading for his cap and the caps of the other two civs that he stomped on while he was running away. I still don't know who they are yet on Turn 170.

Looking like a low 200's Domination victory.

I'm worried I wont get to use my Longbows all that much.

I'm going to have to use my longbows alot.

Spoiler :
I'm now at around t150. I got a nice peace deal from Arabia and was DOW'ed by Hiawatha, though nothing's happened with him yet. While I was waiting for Longbows, I was DOW'ed by Arabia again. I got Longbows t127, took Damascus on t131, and Mecca t150, getting a good peace deal again after that. I only got Mecca that late because I couldn't get a melee unit in the city. Meanwhile, Nebby got Rammy's cap and one other city, and then I bribed him to DOW Oda. Right now I don't think Hiawatha's taken anyone's caps on the other continent, so this might take a while. I plan to go for Rammy's cap on my way to Babylon and Kyoto (only if Nebby doesn't take it). All three of them have nice, flat terrain for longbows. However, I want to wait a few more turns to make sure Nebby loses some units to Oda.

I played until t147

Spoiler :
I captured Arabia's capital once I got long bows around turn 120 or so, then I took a break and went for Rammy's capital. At the moment I'm trying to regroup my troops and focus on defending Japan's incoming attack as he denounced me and he's hostile so I'm expecting something. Although I got off to a slow start and I'm doing kind of bad, I'm having a really fun time practicing war mongering. I think the start was a little rough like said above, but as a whole I'm having a lot of fun playing this map and think it's a great way to practice dealing with a bad hand and turning it into something positive. 2013-06-26_00001.jpg

I'm curious how your game is going budweiser; your opener seems really fun.

I'm curious how your game is going budweiser; your opener seems really fun.

Spoiler :
I was doing fine, I killed Ramk. Then because its emperor, I started playing fast and loose and made a stupid move. I split my forces and kept some at the Japaneses border while I let the others mill around. That's when Hiawatha unleashed a devastating assault and took half my lands. I spent the next 100 turns shooting my longbows and driving him back to his island. Then runaway japan joined the fun. So, I don't really want to spend the time playing it out now.

Spoiler :
I was doing fine, I killed Ramk. Then because its emperor, I started playing fast and loose and made a stupid move. I split my forces and kept some at the Japaneses border while I let the others mill around. That's when Hiawatha unleashed a devastating assault and took half my lands. I spent the next 100 turns shooting my longbows and driving him back to his island. Then runaway japan joined the fun. So, I don't really want to spend the time playing it out now.

Spoiler :
Awh that's lame, from what you described it sounded like a really fun game.

Spoiler :
Awh that's lame, from what you described it sounded like a really fun game.

Spoiler :
I basically threw it away this time, but you can open that way with England every time for good results.

Oh great to see it posted, I was feeling so embarassed about noone playing Iroquois Terra game.
I'd probably settle beside the mountain in this one (isn't there a mountain 2NW?) and just chop enough jungle to be productive until univercity+observatory. First climb the hill with the warrior though.

Don't be, i actually played it but being on holidays no internet access for my laptop. Will post in 2 weeks the different games played.

Ragequit t266.

Spoiler :
I went to war with Nebby captured Sukothai and then Brussels and went for Babylon. I couldn't take it and then Japan DOW'ed me and took Brussels and forced me sell Sukothai to William. I was falling behind in military size and tech. I doubt I would've won.

Hey geolawyerman thanks for putting this together. I'd like to play but when I download the save, it says I am missing DLC. I have the Gods and Kings expansion and all the DLC with civs in them, but which one(s) am I still missing? Thanks in advance!

Top Bottom