1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Encampments not very useful

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Tacgnol, Feb 8, 2017.

?

Do you think encampments are useful?

Poll closed May 8, 2017.
  1. Yes

63 vote(s)
    50.8%
  2. No

23 vote(s)
    18.5%
  3. Situationally but they're balanced

38 vote(s)
    30.6%
  1. Tacgnol

Tacgnol Warlord

Nah, CD's.

I was Suzerain of 3 Merchant CS with 6 envoys in 2 later all 3, I was getting +25-27 gold in each CD, in addition to the trade route, the Harbor buildings are better but the CD just blew it out of the water no contest, I still built a few Harbors in cities that already had a CD or needed the port but CD was #1. The Merchant CS bonus is a little bit OP, it should be only +2 gold and affect both Harbors and CDs, it is weird how every district but a Harbor has a CS that boosts it. But also half the map was blocked off by land so I couldn't use my ships that much.

And like Encampments, it's not like I'm going to be training Fleets/Armadas anywhere but 2-3 of my main cities so the naval production boost is fairly useless.

2. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

why do we always compare? How about combine.
    Have you tried harbour and CD together in a triangle with the city centre? Then add an encampment and you are on an early +4 prod, lots of gold and good housing.

3. Tacgnol

Tacgnol Warlord

But there was no situation in which I was able to actually do that. Between building builders, cost inflation and low city production I would only get 1 district per city, a second much later on, and by the next chance I had to build a district it'd be at -2/3 Amenities and +1/+0 housing and I'd need an EC or Neighborhood. The production literally would not have had a chance to pay for itself before the end of the game, or it'd be so close to the end I couldn't use it while I could still spend gold. And even the +6 adjacency gold from doing center/CD/harbor on a river is insignificant compared to +20 gold per CD from the CS bonus.

4. greygamer

greygamer Feudal Lord

Yes. I didn't mean exclusively. Also using CS bonuses is pretty risky as you never know what you are going to get.

5. ShinigamiKenji

ShinigamiKenji King

I think he's talking about the 6 envoy bonuses, those are for granted if you invest enough envoys.

In my opinion, playing as Spain in a Huge Island Plates map isn't the best map type to measure the value of Encampments, for 2 reasons:
    1. Many conquests will happen using a navy. Even if cities are inland, you can usually batter them down using Battleships.
    2. Huge maps means more continents. Couple that with a civ with intercontinental trade route bonuses, and the value of Harbours and CH becomes much higher.
    Surely, I don't mean to downplay your victory on Deity or the strategy you used, but I think a Continents map using, say, Rome, might be more impartial for Encampment viability.

6. greygamer

greygamer Feudal Lord

Oh I agree. My point was what type of CS and how far away they are is pretty random on any map type.

Also the bonus from trade CS is +8 gold (+12 in the capital), the equivalent military CS would give 12 production (+18 in the capital) when producing units. A fully developed encampment would add another (+ 6 production).

At the exchange rate of 4 gold for each production cog that is 72 gpt when buying units in each encampment (96 gpt in the capital). Of course gold has more uses, which is why the CS value is higher for encampments I expect.

7. Mesix

Mesix One of Porg

My most recent game was a religious VC. I didn't build a single Encampment nor did I build a Harbor.

I think this says a lot for the design flexibility of the game. Each of the specialized districts is useful in certain conditions. For a Cultural or Religious game, it may not even me necessary to built many Campus districts. In my limited experience, the only district I seem to build multiple of in every game is the Commercial district. There is really no replacement for the trade routes. Industrial districts are also useful in almost any circumstance because production seems to be the limiting factor in Civ6, but for an early victory, you may not even reach the point where you can build Industrial districts.

Gorbles likes this.