[R&F] England clarification

Really!?! +1 movement is retained?? I thought this was a long standing bug that it wasn’t?

Yeah I verified this during England civ of the week, it doesn't work. And I really wanted it to work.

If it’s not fixed by GS, I might muck around seeing if +1 movement could be added when you upgrade in a city with a RND, but I think that could be quite tricky to mod.
I imagine they just bang +1 on the individual unit at build time... probably just like the causeway issue, no register just lazy one off programming. You will need the dll to change I imagine.... an alternative may be to compare its MP with a normal units and if higher it retains it... so some additional comparison code may do the trick.

same with the alpine training of matterhorn. as soon as you upgrade you lose it. i wish so much that firaxis would put in back those little icons for the skills so we can see which ones each unit has.

I imagine they just bang +1 on the individual unit at build time... probably just like the causeway issue, no register just lazy one off programming. You will need the dll to change I imagine.... an alternative may be to compare its MP with a normal units and if higher it retains it... so some additional comparison code may do the trick.

same with the alpine training of matterhorn. as soon as you upgrade you lose it. i wish so much that firaxis would put in back those little icons for the skills so we can see which ones each unit has.

That might be a command & control issue for which the boat has sailed. Or at least for which the effort to fix now may be relatively significant.

Ideally, they would have made each unique ability assign a "tag" to the unit receiving it, which provides the ability, is retained on upgrade, and can be displayed as an icon on the unit. If those instructions weren't provided at the beginning of development, though, each programmer/programming team may have handled uniques in a different way, of which some may not be easy to identify the source of the bonus after it's been applied initially.

I don't mind the Matterhorn or Giants Causeway bonuses get lost. Which probably reflects my feeling that those bonuses are just very silly.

The losing combat experience is not great. It really mucks you up if you're rushing units. And it's very annoying given it's such a pain building both Encampments and their silly buildings.

The England movement issue ... just annoys me, really. Without that movement point, England's ships aren't better than anyone else's really. I mean, it's hard enough getting the bonus in the first place given you often build a few ships before you have Harbours and your Sea Dog's captured units don't count. Losing the bonus is then just trolling. It's not quite as stark as that, because you do still get extra Great Admiral points so your naval units are still sort of a bit better, but yeah, it means England doesn't really have anything that special in the Naval department.

But what really annoys me is that, in principle, it's just such a great mechanic. Not powerful; just fun and flavourful. "No England, you don't just get some dope Navy. Stop complaining. Go research Harbours. Then go building the blighters. Then build your ships. What, you've done all that? With no production bonus? Well, no. You still can't have a unique Frigate or IronClad. A Jong? You must be joking son. But okay, you can have a few extra Great Admirals and an extra movement point. Nope, it's not a combat bonus. Nope, no healing in neutral territory or silliness about raising. But listen here, if you're cunning and wily and deliberate, you'll find you can do some very clever things with extra movement..."

If they can't fix the mechanic for RNDs or for Encampments, then fine. But then FXS, please just rework those mechanics to be something which does work.

Oh, well, I know nothing. I haven't played England in a while.

The loss of movement points reminds me of the frustrating fact that the original Founding Fathers CUA didn't work at all before it was changed to diplomatic cards turning into wild cards. The legacy bonus did not accumulate twice as fast. Don't know how such bugs are overlooked for so long.

Question, is the Sea Dog strong enough to capture all of the other UUs? Most importantly, the Brazilian one?

Question, is the Sea Dog strong enough to capture all of the other UUs? Most importantly, the Brazilian one?
Wiki says the chance is 0% if the combat strength of the enemy is greater than 20.

Top Bottom