1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Environmental: Choosing a map type

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Demo Game: Citizens' started by DaveShack, Dec 23, 2005.

1. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

I haven't been able to find an existing discussion or poll on choosing a map type, so let's get this started. The map type options which will be included on the poll will be the ones which get at least one player's support in this thread. We really shouldn't choose one of the outlying options, but I'm not willing to deny anyone the chance to press for something weird.

Here is a composite screenshot of the options.

• Archipelago, Continents, and Pangaea are similar to the Civ3 options of the same name.
    • Custom_Continents allows the number of continents to be chosen as an extra option.
    • Great_Plains is mostly grassland and plains with some hills, and no oceans.
    • Highlands is mostly mountains and hills. In this option it is possible to get a start completely surrounded by mountains, which then requires airpower to conquer. Of course if the human is in the box, you're toast. :mischief:
    • Ice_Age is a much wider polar cap with lots of tundra and very little good land, in the middle of the map.
    • Inland_Sea is a pangaea wrapped around a sea in the center. There is no map wrapping -- you fall off the edge of a flat earth.
    • Islands is Archipelago with smaller islands.
    • Lakes is Inland_Sea but with lakes instead of a single body of water. I think maybe the map wraps for that one, don't remember.
    • Hub, Maze, Ring, Team_Battleground, and Wheel are geometric created worlds.
    • Balanced is one I'm not sure of what it does.
    • Mirror produces a map which has part of it a mirror image of other parts.
    • Oasis is desert in the middle with fertile grounds north and south.
    • Terra is continents with an empty continent which can only be reached after researching ocean travel. It simulates the old world conquest of the new world.
    • Tilted_Axis is a random map with the tilted squares you see in civ3. (I think)
    My info may not be complete, anyone may clarify as needed.

I recommend one of the fairly normal maps, (Archipelago, Custom_Continents, Pangaea, Terra).

2. Black_Hole

Black_Hole Chieftain

Terra is alot of fun, as it focuses on a big naval rush on the unmanned island

3. 5star_US

5star_US Chieftain

continents for me!!

4. Cheetah

Cheetah Chieftain

Continents! I would really like a game as standard as possible for our first demogame in Civ4.

5. Chieftess

Chieftess Moderator Retired Moderator

Continents (not custom ones - those wind up as rectangles) really is the best generated map.

6. Shivam

Shivam Chieftain

just a correction--tilted axis puts the north and south poles on the east and west edges of the map, changing the orientation of the globe. Otherwise, it looks like normal civ 4.

7. Alphawolf

Alphawolf Basileus, Founding Father

Thanks for the Correction Shivam.

-the Wolf

8. Xemu

Xemu Chieftain

I've never done a demogame before, but it seems like we'll have our work cut out for us without adding a lot of crazy map constraints... so I think continents would be best. Archipelago isn't too bad either in that respect.

9. DaveShack

DaveShack Inventor Retired Moderator

So to summarize I think we'll poll with Continents, Archipelago, Pangaea, and Terra.

10. Alphawolf

Alphawolf Basileus, Founding Father

Here's a better Idea, drop team battleground and Poll all of them. :mischief:

-the Wolf

11. I am the Future

I am the Future Oi Oi Oi !!!

Continents are supperior to all