1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Epic/Marathon Games

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by chgrogers, Dec 25, 2010.

1. chgrogers

chgrogers Prince

I am in a love hate relationship with Epic and Marathon games. I am able to build the lower level Wonders more often if I choose so and the world seems to develop nicer. My issue is that I seem to be more apt to get overrun by barbarians. I would have have city defender and my wandering warrior but due to a barb site site spawning near my cities I would send my defending warrior and in the process I would lose him. Should I be playing a bit more defensive and send multiple out or do I just ignore them and deal with the more frequent attempts to pillage my resources? Any other advice would be nice as well.

My current game is
    Russia
    Pangaea
    Marathon
    Prince

2. s2noew

s2noew Chieftain

i dont get how u would get overrun by barbs. on prince difficulty, you have a pretty big bonus vs barbs(30% if i recall correctly). one defender is more than enough. use the terrain to ur advantage, attack from rough terrain then heal and attack again. i consider barb camp a opportunity for extra gold and exp.

3. chgrogers

chgrogers Prince

The problem is that barb camps spawn about the same frequency as they do on normal speed but I don't get units replacements as quickly. Maybe im just not using my units well enough. I start to run into problems when I start getting 3-4 cities and I haven't build the military units to protect each one. I guess my play style is to have a small military as possible to avoid excess expenses.

4. LD1977

LD1977 Chieftain

You are doing it wrong. In fact barb camps are a huge source of income on these slow speeds exactly because they spawn so quickly. If you are feeling cheap (don't want to go for horses/swords) just make a few spearmen and later upgrade them to pikemen. With 2 promotions they will get quickly they will clear camps easily.

5. chgrogers

chgrogers Prince

You were exactly right I was just not building enough units to continue clearing the barbs from the map. Bismark + Honor = Aztecs dead from an army of brutes and archers. Basically I got so many brute I was having to disband some so I picked on Monty instead. Even at prince it took 3 archers and 3 warriors to quickly lower the city walls down.

6. hellboy909

hellboy909 Chieftain

Playing Germany on Marathon is just sick. That's how I've gotten my only Diety win so far :D