Epic/Marathon Games

chgrogers

Prince
I am in a love hate relationship with Epic and Marathon games. I am able to build the lower level Wonders more often if I choose so and the world seems to develop nicer. My issue is that I seem to be more apt to get overrun by barbarians. I would have have city defender and my wandering warrior but due to a barb site site spawning near my cities I would send my defending warrior and in the process I would lose him. Should I be playing a bit more defensive and send multiple out or do I just ignore them and deal with the more frequent attempts to pillage my resources? Any other advice would be nice as well.

My current game is
Russia
Pangaea
Marathon
Prince

i dont get how u would get overrun by barbs. on prince difficulty, you have a pretty big bonus vs barbs(30% if i recall correctly). one defender is more than enough. use the terrain to ur advantage, attack from rough terrain then heal and attack again. i consider barb camp a opportunity for extra gold and exp.

The problem is that barb camps spawn about the same frequency as they do on normal speed but I don't get units replacements as quickly. Maybe im just not using my units well enough. I start to run into problems when I start getting 3-4 cities and I haven't build the military units to protect each one. I guess my play style is to have a small military as possible to avoid excess expenses.

You are doing it wrong. In fact barb camps are a huge source of income on these slow speeds exactly because they spawn so quickly. If you are feeling cheap (don't want to go for horses/swords) just make a few spearmen and later upgrade them to pikemen. With 2 promotions they will get quickly they will clear camps easily.

You were exactly right I was just not building enough units to continue clearing the barbs from the map. Bismark + Honor = Aztecs dead from an army of brutes and archers. Basically I got so many brute I was having to disband some so I picked on Monty instead. Even at prince it took 3 archers and 3 warriors to quickly lower the city walls down.

You were exactly right I was just not building enough units to continue clearing the barbs from the map. Bismark + Honor = Aztecs dead from an army of brutes and archers. Basically I got so many brute I was having to disband some so I picked on Monty instead. Even at prince it took 3 archers and 3 warriors to quickly lower the city walls down.

Playing Germany on Marathon is just sick. That's how I've gotten my only Diety win so far :D

Top Bottom