Error creating new unit

Johnniecash

Chieftain
Hello everyone!

Hope you could help me on this one since I´m in the late industrial age when the game errors and have put much time and joy into this scenario.

Background: I´m playing an edited Marla´s Europe map. Everything works fine but it seems I took one step to much when I tried to create a unique tank for the russians I´m playing. Going on feeling in the editor I simply copied all values for the original tank but named it "T-34" and used Icon 160 (in the icon list). Thought that would be it.

But after researching Motorized Transportation and clicking on the "T-34" in the production screen to start produce it in my cities the game freezes and I get a message reading; "Error Reading file; Missing Entry in text/Pedialicons.txt: Animname_"

So the two questions that arise is;

1: Is there an easy way to make my new tank unit work?

2: Can I edit the save game so that I can use the original tank? Stupid as one could be I edited out it for the russians I´m playing (unclicked Russia as a civ that can produce that unit).

Very thankful for your help!

Have you altered the Pedialicons.txt file in any way? And did you copy and paste the same PRTO entry from the tank to your T-34 unit?

Each unit has a PRTO_(Name) entry that is used in the PediaIcons.txt file to identify the Civilopedia Icon Images and the animation files. It is used for other things as well.

If you kept the exact entry of the original tank, you should be okay. If it is missing, then adding it in there should solve your problem, but I believe only for a new game (might not work still for a save). I'm not familiar if this can be fixed in the save game or not.

Let us know what you find out!

Your error almost certainly comes from an entry Civpedia entry in the editor

(as it says ANIMNAME_, instead of ANIMNAME_PTRO_RUSSIAN_T34 for instance).

Basically, you have created a new unit in the unit list, but you did not tell the game what graphics to use for it.

To correct it, you need to correct the entry in the editor, this means changing the rules, and you cannot do it in the sav, you can only do it at a start of a game.

Only my expanded editor could change the save, but it will have some adverse effects, like reseting the turn count to 0.

Alright, It was as I suspected then :(

Although I can manage without tanks in the scenario it was a great part of my "Europe-invasion" strategy.

I guess I´ll have to live with it then.

Thanks anyway for good replies!

Top Bottom