Ethiopia HG, found a religion, HOW?

I did it! Founded Christianity. Was hoping for Islam, but I'm not complaining.

I am going to try this strat later, but this was what I was hoping to do:

1) Workers - build roads to the flood plain that Aksum controls, so it has a better chance of getting an imported religion first.

2) Found Gondokoro by the Nile, build roads immediately after. Use the workers in tandem. Gondokoro is too slow for anything but a Library (with chop), then Research (if possible)

3) Both cities should start building libraries, but if a religion spreads to Aksum, switch to temples right away. Aksum is much better, with two cows and a sheep, and will grow with a priest. Chop if necessary to get that temple faster.

4) Once a temple is built, add a priest. You'll need it for Divine Right.

5) Switching to Research (both cities): Alphabet is important, so if you can trade with the Romans, Carthage, or Greece for it, do it. Egypt is protective of her hieroglyphs, so getting it from Ramses may not be possible. Both cities need research early, so it might be more economical to go straight to it instead of waiting for the libraries to finish (at least in Gondokoro). I could be mistaken on this, though...

6) Use the GP for Divine Right. If you can't get a priest fast enough, add a scientist (library) for Aksum, though this might weaken your chances of a GP. Only Aksum can do this, Gondokoro is too slow. Switch to Research early for Gondokoro, especially if Aksum gets a spreading religion.

Somehow no religion spread to me in my last game and I still founded Christianity - so I fluked my way to it. I hope this other way can net Islam - it was only ten turns before Arabia spawned when I got Theology, so the last game wasn't condusive to testing my theory. I've only had Buhen actually built (and flip) once in thirty-plus games, so I don't believe it's necessary or useful for this strat, though the extra research does help.

I'll keep you posted...

Well, my Christian game didn't work. The Jewish Egyptians declared war, and between dealing with their and the Native attacks, I didn't get to Pietermaritzberg before 1500 (and was too weak to take them on).

Since then, I've had trouble meeting anybody early enough for Open Borders. The only civ to see me after Egypt in the last four tries was Carthage, and only after I was less than ten turns to Theology (each time). No trade, and Egypt still won't open borders... even with a common religion.

Maybe I'll have Gondokoro build a scout, go around Egypt, and meet the Mediterranean, so trade will help. I need that Alphabet a lot earlier. No Research = no Divine Right.

On the positive: Aksum gets a religion very early now, which helps the process. It's still a crapshoot whether I will get a GP over a GS, but in general, the numbers have been working out (usually around 80-20).

I'll keep trying.

You can meet 2-3 civs by sending out a boat.

When I was trying the straight research/Prophet method a few versions ago I was partial to 1. coastal cows 2. fish/gems/lakes. Coastal also invites religion.

"Straight" meaning without trying to cheese out Arabia.

ack n/m I forgot I did something in WB that affected Ethiopia enough for them to do this.

I tried this again in 3.13 using a simple strategy. I think it definitely is easier now, although it still required luck and took me ten tries:
3 games refining the micromanagement; came within a few turns each time
1 didn't get a religion
1 got the wrong great person
3 plague
1 workers didn't appear
1 success

Short hint:
Spoiler :
Settle Jabuuti 1E, Moyale on Fish/Gems, and take a chance with a scientist/priest mix for a half bulb of Divine Right.
Long hint:
Spoiler :
Rely on getting a religion in at least Jabuuti, and preferably also Moyale for the free border pop.
Switch to HR + Slavery while moving.
Jabuuti WB, Granary (probably whip), Harbor (whip), Temple (probably whip), Library, Research. After 3F tiles and cows are worked, hire priest then scientists.
Moyale WB -> meet Bab / Persia / India, OB to get foreign trade routes, WB (for self), Stele if still needed, Harbor if no Alphabet yet, Research.
At minimum, trade Theology for Alphabet.

I finally founded Islam! Again, had a bit of help, but this is what happened:

I moved 1S and founded Lalibela. Men was already near, so I thought it may flip. It did. My second setler founded Moyale (following Jet's suggestion). Switched to Her. Rule, Slavery, Org. Religion.

Lalibela and Men started on Libraries. Moyale built two workboats. One went to Lalibela's fish, the second visited Persia and Babylon.

Second turn in, Egypt founded Christianity (Ramesses had no religion before this). Same turn, Men became Christian and Lalibela (attached to Men via the lake) became Jewish. Switched Lalibela to the temple immediately. It would be my GP birthplace.

Later, Moyale became Christian. I stayed secular until after Islam was founded.

Passed an Open Borders treaty with Persia, then met Babylon. Traded them for Iron Working, and they became pleased, so I got Open Borders with them, too.

Traded with Persia, then Egypt (who gave me Alphabet). Immediately switched Men and Moyale to Research (Men also had built an archer in the meantime). Lalibela built the temple and moved back to the library. I only added the priest when the city became a three. After the library, the scientist was added (city size 4).

Lost contact with Persia and Babylon, as I moved my workboat to Moyale (it had culturally grown at this time). No worries, I had Open Borders with Egypt (they liked my Organized Religion switch).

The workers built the three pastures, then went to the horses (I built a road to Men with one of the workers in the meantime). They then beelined for the gems, and that was Moyale's second pop's work spot (hammers to Research).

Lost my Swordsman to the Impis, but I protected my area with the two Axemen Men gave me, plus my original. Men revolted a couple of times, but I had enough research through the other two cities' hammers. Founded Islam in turn 149 (81% chance of a prophet), and now Saladin's Jewish.

Time for the second part... I have to build Cats and Elephants before any Europeans show south of me, and take the Native cities. Wish me luck.

Also I'd be interested to know if Islam spreads to the western european nations.

England,spain,germany,france and holland. In my game they all ended up islamic.

Men is NW of the lake that you spawn next to, and NE of the elephant. That's why it flips (it's in Ethiopia's spawn range - if Buyten [immediately N of the elephant, next to Men] is there instead, it also would join you). It's also why I moved one S, to give my capital breathing room. It still gets all resources, including the fish.

So far (1500), I've only popped a GS since, so no shrine, and no real spread of Islam.

Half of my cities are Islamic, half Christian, so I've stayed Christian, because Europe is completely Christian (46% of the world is... Islam has 4%!). Only Mali is Muslim, and they don't like me at all. I've founded cities all the way to the South African / Namibian coast and built courthouses everywhere, because I'm starting to fluctuate between Stable and Shaky. I need one more city on the Angolan coast (waiting for Mbanza Kongo, but I can't wait too long), and then I'll backfill the interior as I see fit (if I'm not too unstable, and no Europeans show up through my borders to set up shop in Botswana or Zambia). Maybe I'll give the Angolan one away to Mali... we'll see.

In my last game playing Rome, the AI Ethiopia founded Christianity.

:confused: :confused: :eek: :crazyeye: :lol:

In my last game as Mayan, it was said so too.
But later, when I switched to Dutch and got maps, I've seen it was founded in Egypian city (Per-something, east from horses) which was conquered by ethiopians for a while.

And in my last game as Carthage, I've seen Egypt to found Christianity two turns before Etphiopia was even born.

That's 3.13.

It's happened on more than a few of my Ethipian games as well, and Egypt founded Christianity the second turn in on my current game. I believe Rhye was hoping to see Islam founded more, but you also have a chance at founding Christianity, depending on world events. This would include Rome/Carthage/Greece at war with each other; or Egypt either falling apart or being attacked by barbs/impis and losing precious units/cities. There are other possibilities.

Actually, it is very easy to found a religion if you see my solution.
And it is not a matter of luck!! It always works!

Spoiler :

You have to begin the game as Egypt!!!
And i could stop here, because now everything is obvious.
Found Niwt-rst, one tile north of the starting plot.
Build a worker, some warrios, a settler and then 3-4 workers. With the second settler build the future capital of the Ethiopian Empire, in the north of Ethiopia, between the lake and the Red See. This city will flip when Ethiopia spawns.
Try to build wonders which get profet points in this second city. I got The Oracle and Moai Statues in my game, but I failed to get Stonehenge.
Use the workers to improve the the future land of Ethiopia.
When Ethiopia spawns, gift them everything you can as Egypt on the first turn and on the second turn take controle of Ethiopia.
This way, Ethiopia begins with a highly developped city of sizy 6 or 7, with at least 2 wonders, a religion (Judaism in my game) and a temple, an improved land (pastures, mines and roads are build) and two settlers!!!
I got 2 great prophets running a priest and was the first to Divine Right.
I think that you can get both Christianism and Islam if you are lucky!

I did that on Monarch, but I think this is possible on the hardest level too.

Well since people have refined my earlier attempts now I decided to try Ethiopia again today using the guide. Not that I needed it as I Founded Christianity on turn 108. Arf! Buhen the Egyptian city flipped to me with a great prohpet inside it. I couldnt belive my luck...:D

Proof in the attached save.

Attachments

• Turn 108 BTS.CivBeyondSwordSave
    207.7 KB · Views: 141
I don't agree with mitsho!
What is the relevance of this feature (taking control of another civ) if you don't use it this way?
Does anybody use it anyway?
How? Why?

Why did Rhye develop it, if not for using it?
But it's true that with this approach, some of the UHVs are much easier!
Otherwise, you need a lot of luck for most of them.

Good luck!!

The feature wasn't meant to faciliate getting UHVs. UHVs have always been stated to be thought of as achievable without changing civs. That's why it wasn't meant that way and that's why using it for that purpose is a cheat. Or a "bug", somehow.

the Changing of civs was meant to give those the opportunity to play that want to play as a later civ and don't like to wait half an hour.

Now, look, I don't condem you. Hell, I have done it myself. But it just isn't really fair to promote that as a strategy... ;-)

Heck, if you gifted everything you own (which is not quite possible, BTW--I've tried it with America playing as the British first and they wouldn't accept all the oil cities I collected and just wanted the American ones), you can win every UHV. Where's the challenge? :lol:
Imagine: Start as Babylon, migrate to northern Greece, gift everything to Greece, play until the Romans spawn, gift everything, and ditto for the French, Germans, Russians, and finally Turks. You'll have an empire from Rennes to Mongolia!! :king: Of course your economy will be in the dumps.

It's not so easy as AnotherPacifist says. You can change the civ only once and you can't gift cities outside the land of the new civilization!
I would like to have the opinion of the designers of the mod about this question.
I think some of the UHVs are more a matter of luck then skill. You just have to reload until you get a good situation and if you change the civ it is too easy.
It's a nice mod, anyway!

If I picked a Civ first in order to switch to another civ later to beat the UHV goals I would never have lost a single game and would have completed them all including the Incas and Mongols. Well most of them anyway. Its easy to ****** neighbouring civs early if thats whats required or gifting your future Civ sweet cities and units early on.

Its a fine thing to do to practice Rhyes and Fall and everything but it also lacks challange and it would be very lame to get UHV's in this manner and then boast about completeing them later.

Not that im saying you done any of that Duras, im just saying you know..?

Anyway back on topic...after the Religon goal 'tis easy now. Just done it again this morning although I had to reload about 7 times to get Christianity.

Top Bottom