Exoplanets pack now a DLC on steam

Lord Yanaek

Emperor
Just noticed that the exoplanet map pack that was part of the pre-release version of BE is now available as a DLC on steam.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/304010/

Apparently (i didn't pre-order) that's 6 new map scripts, one of them seems to be an adaptation of the Tilted Axis script from [civ5] Others i don't know.

I know lots of people won't buy a DLC for BE. Some might also think that a 46kb large pack is insulting as a paid DLC. I don't mind paying for 46kb if the map scripts are good. Anybody that tried his hands on modding map scripts knows that they can't be judged by their size on disk ;)

This leads me to the next question. Can anyone who per-ordered share his appreciation of those map scripts? Do they create different and interesting maps?

The map pack contains:
"Vulcan" -> No oceans, instead lots of hills, mountain and canyons. Meh.
"Aridean" -> Is like Sandstorm in CIV5
"Oceanic" -> Feels like a mix of Archipelago and Islands in CIV5, seems to create more sea ressources
"Tilted Axis" -> As in CIV5
"Arborean" -> Again like the forest map script in CIV5
"Wilderness" -> Only somewhat unique map here, features a huge continent with lots of "wild lands" in the interiour (forests + alien camps)

Imho not worth any money unless you *really* want one of the maps.

I disagree. I think one of the cool things to do in BE, unlike CiV, is playing on a map that's not earth-like. It will change your play-style and you really feel like you're colonizing an alien world.

See this thread for a good description of all the maps: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=538266

If I hadn't pre-ordered, I would certainly think it was $2.99 well spent.

$2.99? I'd skip it and wait until you can get it for $.99 or less. I have it and it's underwhelming but those who really like to change up their map features a lot, ymmv. Personally, I'd pay $.25 for it.

I'd wait for it to be on sale for a buck, but honestly I'd recommend it. The exoplanet scripts are frequently more fun to play than the vanilla map scripts. I certainly understand not wanting to pay for the DLC out of principle, but in this case I'd say it's worth it.

Edit: I just want to stress that $3 for map scripts is a bit insultingly high. Again, wait for it to go on sale (especially if it gets bundled with other DLC later).

IMO only worth 50p.

I never understand how you're supposed to figure the value of content for games. We're talking about three bucks for something that, supposing you play and finish a few games, you're going to be spending (let's say) ten hours with. The value of the money you pay is noise compared to even small differences in how much you actually enjoy your time.

I never understand how you're supposed to figure the value of content for games. We're talking about three bucks for something that, supposing you play and finish a few games, you're going to be spending (let's say) ten hours with. The value of the money you pay is noise compared to even small differences in how much you actually enjoy your time.

I'll never understand people. I'll have a nice dinner with the wife and it'll cost me maybe $60 USD. That's maybe two hours or less and the money is gone. I don't whine, cry or rage when I spend the same on a game and maybe spend 20 hours before I'm done with it. I've gotten 79 hours with BE and used the map packs and have a had a great time.....seems worth it to me.

Those scripts are kind of cool and definitely create some maps that are rather different from the normal planets.

Especially the arid one changes gameplay quite a bit, a lot of open space, but also a lot of land that you'll need to "terraform" if you really want to expand a lot.

The wilderness-map is also quite awesome, it creates an "oasis" in the middle of the map, filled with resources (and usually aliens) so offensive expansion is rewarded, which would give a great opportunity for awesome territory-battles. I actually use(d) that one the most when I play with my alien-mod. Main problem is: AI doesn't understand the map script, it'll not really try to make tactical use of the way the map is designed (other than expanding to resource-heavy areas if nearby).

The map pack contains:
"Vulcan" -> No oceans, instead lots of hills, mountain and canyons. Meh.
"Aridean" -> Is like Sandstorm in CIV5
"Oceanic" -> Feels like a mix of Archipelago and Islands in CIV5, seems to create more sea ressources
"Tilted Axis" -> As in CIV5
"Arborean" -> Again like the forest map script in CIV5
"Wilderness" -> Only somewhat unique map here, features a huge continent with lots of "wild lands" in the interiour (forests + alien camps)

Imho not worth any money unless you *really* want one of the maps.

The wilderness one sounds interesting. I always like duking it out with the natives... lol

I preordered mine. How do I tell if I have that content? It's not a scenario? Just maps? I don't recall seeing any by those names. Did I have to do something special to get it off Steam or something?

I'll never understand people. I'll have a nice dinner with the wife and it'll cost me maybe $60 USD. That's maybe two hours or less and the money is gone. I don't whine, cry or rage when I spend the same on a game and maybe spend 20 hours before I'm done with it. I've gotten 79 hours with BE and used the map packs and have a had a great time.....seems worth it to me.

It's people like you that allow publisher's to ship out a game in unfinished and sold in pieces. DLC was born on consoles where easily manipulated children are exploited for their parents' money. There's absolutely no reason Firaxis should be selling map scripts, they just do it because ANY money they get from it is profit and and fools and their money soon part is the way they do business now.

Oh, instead having that 60$ meal with your wife, just go grab some bum off the street & eat with him and see if that changes your mind about it, because that's about the same thing as paying for map scripts. Or just grab a dollar out of your pocket and set it on fire, because burning stuff is cool and fun.

Moderator Action: Please do not make your post personal by attacking others, stick to the subject of the thread.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

DLC was born on consoles where easily manipulated children are exploited for their parents' money.
That's nonsense, the introduction of dlc started on pc and consoles roughly about the same time, but was way more common on pcs because most consoles back then didn't even have an internet connection built in (x-box did, ps2 didn't).

There's also nothing wrong with dlc in general, if developers put time and efford to create additional content to an already released product, then it's perfectly fine for them to charge money for that. Although there have always been controversies surrounding dlc (Oblivions Horse Armors~), most of the questionable practices like day 1 dlc, "cheat"-dlc and pre-order only/delayed dlc are relatively new phenomenas.

The wilderness one sounds interesting. I always like duking it out with the natives... lol

I love sending an explorer with a colonizer into the midst of an alien infested area and starting a city. When it turns into a city I buy a ultrasonic fence and scatter them. For some reason I just really like doing that.

Biggest problem with these maps is that there are almost zero alien ruins, crash sites etc. I had one in 300+ turns. The explorer is essentially useless on these maps, and certain quests are obviously impossible.

I have the scripts because I pre-ordered.

I wouldn't say they are worth much, they don't offer a lot that the regular map scripts don't. I didn't see much difference while playing.

I'd advise you to wait until you get sick of the plain old mapscripts, it'll probably have gotten a pricedrop by then.

I'm most interested in wilderness one. I might actually grab it and see if it improves the lack of alieny things that I saw alot.

You do know there are people out there (including me) that can nowhere near afford to spend $60 on a meal out for two, right ? In fact I eat out maybe once every six months and it's at a cafe or equivalent.

Top Bottom