Expanding borders

Zygmunt

Warlord
So I've built a colosseum and theatre and anything else that can increase a cities culture value. I'm playing the original 1000 AD scenario that came with the game. I'm playing the HRE and the western half of the country is taken over by the borders of French cities.

Any help for what Im doing wrong?

Hello Zygmunt

It's quite possible that the French cities have a stronger culture output than yours, so they will be winning the culture war. I believe the French leader is also Creative which gives them a strong advantage. You could try build some wonders in your border cities, increase your drama slider or just take his cities by force. :D

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

@Zygmunt Colosseums doesn't provide any culture. Theatres give you 3 culture per turn.
Libraries give you 2 culture per turn too and might be a good option.

But really... Culture wars that you want to win, you have to start very early, loading up with culture buildings early on to start reaching the key thresholds sooner rather than later. Being fast to 100 culture and then fast to 500 culture helps a ton.

Best way to resolve cultural disputes is with the help of a large army. Conquer a few border cities and they can't push their culture into your core.

The French army is strong and their civilization is very advanced. Perhaps when i get closer to end game ill attack them just for fun because time is running out anyway.. I always had a good relationship with them so i would feel guilty eroding that. Thanks guys for the advice though, i'll try

ITa bear, i forgot. what exactly do you mean by drama slider? The top left of the screen with the science amount right above it? Treasury amount too?

ITa bear, i forgot. what exactly do you mean by culture slider?

There are sliders for research, culture, and espionage (assuming your are using BTS), in the top left of the screen. But honestly, your issues lie mainly in your basic understanding of the game. Once you learn how to really play the game you will worry less about cultural borders and focus more on killing peoples..ha. If I recall, Europe in that scenario is very crowded, so you want to get some military advantage fairly quickly and knock a few euros out. Regardless, you need a core understanding of game mechanics and strategies.

I'd also note that while Creative trait has a bit of pressure, it really is not that big a factor long term, and is by no means a strong advantage. What is a factor is that Louis is Industrious and likely has been building wonders in Paris all this time, which give a lot of culture.

yeah, europe is pretty crowded and small. Paris always had large borders, that southern city i think is Provence wasn't too expanded until mid game. Im dieing for a coutnry tio DOW me, I just don't want to be the aggressor. A war is a cure for a kings/emperors/presidents boredom through out history, while the 98% fight and the 2% profit

Moving the culture slider is a last resort that you should try to avoid. You move it at the expense of your tech rate.

The one and only way and actually a nice feature of this scenario is to run for one or more wonders in each of your culture pressed cities. This applies when you play any of the European nations.
You would have to whip some workers and chop I think.

There are at least 5 wonders of interest available, Oracle / GLibrary / Mausoleum / Colossus / GLighthouse. (NB: HRE has copper and marble)
The first 2 would need to be done in 10T, the other 3 in 15-20T from start. Usually Elizabeth pops a GE T10 which takes GLib or Artemis.

For HRE probably Bremen can do Oracle and/or Colossus (if it has a forge already), Rome can do GLib and/or GLH/Colossus, Salzburg one of Oracle/Glib /Mausoleum (I don't think it has a library for GLib)
One wonder per city should do for culture fighting. You are also denying those wonders to your neighbours. Especially Paris, which has I think Notre Dame shouldn't get a 2nd wonder.

If I remember correct in the original scenario you start at war with Byzantium. But you start with enough units to take Cairo and then withstand counter attacks at any frontline right?

Byzantium and all of Europe starts as allies and open boarders with the HRE. We're all fighting the Arabian Empire. Thanks for the advice, i'll keep that in mind next game

Top Bottom