experimental game: "containment"

BaconLad

Chieftain
this is a brief account of an experimental game i have been playing in which i attempt to "contain" all enemy ai tribes as quickly and efficiently as possible.
the purpose of this is to find what advantages/disadvantages the player will gain as a result of adopting this strategie.
after a time, i hope to write a guide (hopefully with the help of some more experianced players that like the idea of "containment") to perfecting the process, and possibly create a new game like "occ" "ec" "pec" "el" etc...

large random map/7 tribes/raging hordes/king

for the purpose of this game, i saved the starting location and explored as much as possible (taking notes along the way) before loading back to the start. along the way i found persians, aztecs, russians, french, babylonians, and mongols.

english - started on a peninusla at the southern coast of a large continent, was not to worried as there was plenty of room to build 10+ large cities - plenty of grassland, whales...

directly to my north (blocking me in) was the persians, they was roughly 16 tiles away, so the 1st thing i decided to do was pop the closest hut (saving/loading before each attempt) untill i got a horseman or a chariot, 1st time lucky, horseman!
built london and started to move northwards towards persia. when i got there, i realised that the 2nd city they had (which i had seen in the 1st exploration) was the result of a poped hut. this time round, i beat them to it, and poped it myself, unbelievable good fortune, "you have discoverd an advanced tribe"
10 or so turns in and persia is almost completly contained.
there capital (persopolis) is not a coastal city, so 3 well placed units and there well and truly contained. meanwhile the core of my early empire is running smoothly, london is going about its buissness, founding other cities, usual game thuss far.
so far containing the persians has been worth while, i am no worse off and 1 civ is more or less my slave - demanding tribute every other turn, and receiving roughly 25g a time.
moving north - east ive found a narrow strip of land which heads directly north to the aztec territory, so i leave a dip there to intervene anything that moves down. at the same time, im moving a tireme up the coast with another dip (not built LH yet) to sneak in behind the aztecs.
make landfall, and bribe a settler - move the settler on the tireme to link roads with my cities in and around london.
talk to the aztecs, give them abit of tech and share maps, theyve got 3 cities (none of which are coastal) already joined by roads and the odd irrigation here and there.
2 of the 3 cities are close together and are no problem to contain, the 3rd however is about 7 tiles to the west over mountains - may have to take this city...
"english wisemen discover the secret of trade" not quite ready to build marco's...
containing the aztecs is proving to be more difficult than i had originaly anticipated, ive definitly stunted there growth, but there is to much room for them to get out, and at this point i just dont have the man power to cover all the land.
i start moving a dip to the east of persia and come across a several huts (loading/saving before each one) ive now got enough gold to rush build marco's. and some left over for bribing aztec legions.
talk to everyone gift techs and share maps...
it looks like i share my continent with the persians (contained) the aztecs (almost contained) and the russians.
to say that the russians (about 30 tiles to the east) are the white civ, there starting location looks awful. theyve got a cupple of iron/gold mountains, but hardly any grassland and alot of desert. mosocw is on a river, but other than that....
i decide against attempting to contain the russians as the baron land looks to have done a good enough job of that already.
on the other continent, the mongols have 1 city (on a river, but not coastal) directly south of londons coast. so thats the next order of buissness.
the french look to have a starting location (east peninsula of babylonians) as bad as the russians, luckily the babas (5 cities) have already done a superb job of containing the french to just 3 cities - the only way they (french) can expand is via a war. hopefully i'll have the babas contained before that happens, leaving them sandwiched between me and the french.
meanwhile my empire continues to run smoothly, im no worse off, still discovering techs at a similar rate to what i always do, building more cities (got 11 at this point)
at this point it looks like the minimum effort has been worthwhile. although im not sure why....
my civ is not under any pressure what so ever from rival military, because my closest rivals (persia/aztec) are contained and discovering tech at a poor rate. so far this is easy. maybe should have tried a harder difficulty level?
6 units around aztec territory seems to have done the job, and just 2 needed to contain the mongols, thats 3 done and dusted, and were still in b.c.
babas are about 25 tiles to the north - west of karakorum (mongol) so i decide to bring a settler from my homeland to start a colony and move units towards the babas.
when i found my new colony (my 15th city) i share maps again with everyone, and i find that the russians have now got 5 cities and the babas 6 (may be too late to contain these) everyone else is the same.
giving the map a good study, i decide that it is not worth the effort to contain the babas or russians. and so approaching a.d i opt to quit this game and set about the planning the 2nd attempt.

as a 1st attempt its been a bit of a mixed bag, it has definitly not affected my tribe, so to stunt the growth of a rival civ surely must be benificial? but its proving hard to see what ACTUAL benefits there are. sure has been fun tho.

if anybody has any points they would like to make, or even attempt this themselves, please do!

Surprised this didn't get more attention.

I support this experiment and would like to see future results.

Top Bottom