Faction color mods?

46thCharlemagne

Chieftain
TL;DR:

I was wondering if there are any mods out there that strictly alter the colors of the civilizations to colors other than the 32 standard ones available, or if there's a simple way to mod the color choices to be used in the editor.

Reasons:

1) Some of the colors I find truly awful...some remind me of what you'd find inside an infant's diaper, or are simply too brilliant / gaudy. For some reason I'm highly averse to any variation of the color pink. Even for factions I really don't like (poor Hittites have been hot pink most of my years playing this game.)

2) Some of the colors are only slightly different in RGB values to the point it's almost impossible to tell them apart. Even if my aging eyes could tell them apart, how much sense does it make for two factions with nearly the same color to delineate their territories on the main map and mini map with basically the same color? Makes for confusion sometimes.

3) Two of the colors, the faded pink ones, are virtually identical in RGB. Colors 16 and 31 in the drop-down list in the editor.

4) Simply deleting certain factions that I generally don't like, in order to remove their ugly colors from the visual experience of the game, seems to have......unintended consequences. And while I could get very specific with all of the factions that will be in my games, I prefer selecting some to be my key enemies and allies, and leave the rest set to random for fun.

As an example if I'm not clear with the last two points above- say I were to assign that horrible faded pink to two factions I don't care for, and then delete those two factions from my mod entirely. In the past when I've done this, weird things happened. I believe once it made factions spawn in random locations NOT on the player starting locations. There were other bizarre effects too that I can't recall.

Right there with you. Game designers are notorious for using all different shades of the same color for different things.
I ended up using every color once - 32 colors, 32 tribes. Makes sense.
I'll look into Rhye's creation, too.

lurker's comment: This is also one of the bonus features I added to my Civ III editor (link in sig), relative to the Firaxis one. It provides GUI support for modding civ colors, with descriptions of the colors where one is available (e.g. color 9 is the color used around the leaderhead on the diplomacy screen), and the ability to automatically adjust the hue, balance, or saturation of all the colors in the palette at once (and descriptions of what hue, saturation, and balance mean; I can never remember without an example, either). It also includes a link to Rhye's post that Civinator mentioned above; Rhye originated the technique and created some pretty interesting two-color civ colors.

I don't know if anyone has created their own civ colors with it, but the goal is to make it easier than manually editing the palette in a PCX editor, especially if what you're looking for is broad changes to a color such as pink to green.

Top Bottom