Favourite Civ and strategy

GarryLLC

Chieftain
Hi everyone! Tell me what are your favorite civs, victory types and settings.
Not only the civilization that you choose, but also what victory are you going for, what map type, size, game speed and modes you select. Also tell me what's your favorite strategy (whether you go tall/wide, aggressive at the beginning/mid/end game, prioritize science/gold/culture/production/faith/amenities).

I am just looking for a fun game, since I already won with all of my favorite civs (Russia, Germany, Incas, Maoui, Korea, Mali, Scythia, Maya)

Cree, Continents or Continents/Islands, normal speed, barbarians mode (though it doesn't really matter) and secret societies. Focus for 100 turns on founding cities, growing them large, and building infrastructure. For society, Owls can be fun to get a bunch of trade routes and play the envoy game, or Voidsingers to overcome my usual downside with Cree which is lack of faith (unless you feel like going religious). Mostly peaceful but you should have the production/money to field an army and do some wrasslin' if you need to. By turn 100-125, you should have enough production and money that you can pick whatever victory you want to go for - build campuses in every city and use your massive cities to go science; build a bunch of theatre square buildings and spread wide to build seaside resorts/NPs, build a huge army and take over the world. Plus I love the music.

That's prob my favorite setup for a fun, relatively low-stress game where I don't feel pigeonholed into one specific strategy early on.

Germany because it’s the ultimate builder civ

Rome because you get free monuments and roads that make the early game way less stressful

Poland, because the game doesnt have Prussia or the Teutonic Order and ironically you can rename your cities and it’s almost a perfect fit

My two favourite civilisations are Poland, and Phoenicia.

I love Poland especially because they have so many different ways to excel, with different and sometimes mutually exclusive gameplay styles thanks to their diverse yet subtle toolkit. Their wildcard allows you extreme flexibility right from Code of Laws, and along with recent policy card changes they can make just about any government type work for whatever they need without ending up with too many red card slots, or not enough green card slots. Holy Sites gaining standard adjacency bonuses from districts is massive, meaning you can build tightly-packed cities surrounding Holy Sites while not worrying about Campus placement rivalry; if you take the River Goddess pantheon (in my opinion, the best for Poland) as well as optionally the Feed the World or Gurdwara beliefs, you escape the housing problem of tight city planning and can make viably tall cities as well to maximise gains from Theocracy. Common wisdom suggests that Reliquaries is their best main belief, but considering their ability to get high adjacency Holy Sites anywhere, I would argue that Work Ethic is just as good, if not better, especially if you are playing with less emphasis on religion or faith. Culture bombing with Encampments and forts can also create extremely cheeky ways to forward settle opponents, not to mention gaining absurd amounts of era score in the mid-game if you go to war - which is especially easy for Poland, because the Winged Hussar is one of the most powerful and tactical units in the game. Despite all of this, in part because of their high skill floor Poland is considered a fairly average civilisation, not especially strong, which makes me hope they will get more buffs. As long as those buffs do not take away from their diversity and flexibility, of course.

Phoenicia is fun for their unique, risky continent capital switcheroo. It requires that a lot of pieces come together, but is fantastic when it does. Phoenicia also has the most beautiful unique district in the game, one of the few which fully keeps its uniqueness throughout the game without succumbing to the genericisation of modern buildings - this is looking at you, Hansa. While they are nearly unbeatable on the sea thanks to their ridiculous healing ability (and despite their mediocre unique unit with an almost useless ability), they lose almost all of their bonuses if they have little access to water - but coastal cities have the consistent trouble of having few spots for district placement as well as lower base housing. This makes for a bad mix with Phoenicia's Government Plaza and district production bonuses, as in the early game you are extremely choked for district slots: you need a Cothon to make use of the sea and for fast settlers, but you also need a Campus for science to get the technologies to be able to actually embark on and use water tiles, but you want a Government Plaza for its bonuses and also the Ancestral Hall, and you might like an Entertainment Complex for the amenities, a Commercial Hub for even more gold, or especially some Theatre Squares to have a strong culture output to reach the great mid-game coastal/colonial policy cards and wonders... and so on. A lot of their abilities are out of sync and need to be fine-tuned, but the basis are good and very fun. Oh, and the free Writing eureka is flavourful but extremely silly: one of the easiest eurekas to get, unless you deliberately play an extreme archipelago map where you start on an isolated island, and even then that stacks the deck so hard against the AI that you might as well have won on game start by picking a naval civilisation on a water-heavy map. It could be changed into something much more interesting, in my opinion.

Play Phoenicia and settle the x out of it. (you can get 250% production on settlers).

Poland or Australia with culture bombs. Poland can be fun -- you can settle as close as you want, 4 tiles away from a city center and build an encampment 2 tiles away from it.

Georgia (Dramatic Ages). Continents and Islands. Victory Type... based on nearby City States, but fall back plan is always Diplomatic.

Rush scout and first settler. Rush a religion; use Holy Site Prayers constantly after first Holy Site, hopefully with Divine Spark. Build Shrines later. Hit Eurekas as much as possible to earn area Era Score and shoot for that Classical Golden. Forward settle and get walls up in your border cities (wait for Limes for the rest).

Important: DON’T spend a single Envoy. Save them up and strategically plan the quests and Envoy once City States are converted. Don’t waste them. You can suzereign a few without spending a single Envoy if you slow down and pay attention.

Classical Golden: Run Monasticism and flip flop between Isolationist, Monumentality, and Exodus of Evangelists. Use the policies that give you crazy amounts of experience if invaded. Convert City States and do quests THEN use Envoys if not playing Religion. If playing Religion, convert your neighbors ASAP then go for City States.

Go from there. I base my victory type off what City States I can bounce off of (or like I said set up a Diplo Vic if nothing else). Know the triggers for Era Score. Build Taj Mahal quickly. Save up some Faith to purchase Great People for last minute Era Score (if not playing Religion).

Lastly, always keep in mind that if you fall into a Dark Age after researching Steel, if you take back your city by force you will never be able to rebuild your Tsikhe. Try loyalty flipping instead, even if you have to wait.

Depends a lot on the map, difficulty and victory condition and game modes but overall I love most the civs except Georgia. I mostly play Deity where religion is very fickle to get and some maps just absolutely can suck.

Dom on Pangea or Continents: Rome and Vietnam are super strong along with Macedonia and Zulu and Aztec. Just frustrating on those rare maps where there is no iron nearby for Rome or no horses for Macedonia. Vietnam UU is very OP.

Dom on archipelago or any map with lots of islands: Norway shines.

Map with lots of coastal cities: Uh yea Portugal is my new favorite for that :) So much gold rolling in you can buy what you need. Make a few allies and put Feitoria's in their cities and watch that prod and gold sky rocket.

Desert map: Mansa. I just hate the -30% production penalty. Sure you roll in the gold but so does Portugal and has way better production(map dependent of course). But with a good desert start you can make such great fpt to make up for the production issues especially if you can get a religion and the Work Ethic belief or just hope other civs spread theirs and you get lucky with their beliefs like Jesuit Education.

Cultural: Sweden, Greece and Russia are my favorite for that but Vietnam does well here too. Kupe in the right situation.

Religious(my least favorite to play): Russia. I hate micromanaging apostles and missionaries doh.

Game Modes augment all civs. Monopolies and Corps really augments CV victory times. With the right Heroes early you can pull off some crazy stunts especially Rome since you don't have to build monuments. SS I just love Owls but others can be the better choice based on civ and situation.

Honestly at this stage Civ 6 has so many possible combinations of maps, victory conditions and game modes that all civs can shine in the right situation.

Last edited:
Phoenicia is just so flavorful to me that they're my favorite, even without any experimentation into the continent-switching shenanigans. Sounds like it will be fun, though.

I just like them because I find coastal cities more fun, I love developing infrastructure and laughing at an absurd amount of cities and GPT, and the harbor is my favorite district. So, what if you gave me a coastal trade-based civilization with a unique harbor and mass settling push? Count me in. Honestly, just switching the map to archipelago, setting the map size to large, snipping off a few civilizations and city-states and just seeing how many cities I can settle by the time the game is finished is one of the most relaxing and fulfilling experiences I can get out of civ. I'm a massive builderphile, what can I say :mischief:

I haven't really dipped my toes into lots of other civs (I'm still pretty new, only got the game in December of last year but I'm already at 170 hours), but out of the ones I've tried, here are some of my favorites:

• Scythia: The strongest civ they are not, but that heal on kill is just- oooooh, so nice. Plus, light cav is just a really fun promotion tree (even if I feel they can get outclassed pretty hard), and having a civ whose entire focus is just forming a herd of cattle to pillage enemy lands before they can retaliate is pretty fun. They're like the land version of Norway, kinda... anyway, I'd like to try them out in a Domination game where I gather together a "pillaging army" of excess light cav who ruin enemy lands and crush their units before the heavy hitters (heavy cav, melee, ranged, and siege) follow them up to actually take the cities.
  • Inca: Give me food, give me hills, give me mountains, give me YIELDS! One of my smoothest games of civ ever was an Incan culture victory with pre-nerf Earth Goddess where I stockpiled faith, planned around my mountains, and mass purchased Naturalists and Rock Bands when the time was right. Made for a fun, smooth victory that took a lot less time than normal. I'd love to try these guys out with the Preserve, once I get my hands on the entire NFP. Oh, the woes of my wallet :cry:
  • Indonesia: So, another clean culture victory strat. This should preferably be done with either La Venta or Rapa Nui in the game. Granada also works, but to a lesser extent since Alcazars can't be spammed as easily. Develop a handful of core cities for massive production, slap in Magnus and then start mass settling, looking for sea resoruces, With your other core cities, spam builders to go and build fishing boats and Kampungs. The Kampung is your secret weapon here- they can generate you loads of extra tourism if you focus on them! Spam your city-state improvements and save your features for extra tourism from your Colossal Heads. That alongside Indonesia's faith from coastal cities means that you'll have plenty of faith saved up for Rock Bands, Naturalists (preferably Rock Bands though since you don't want to leave a single tile unimproved), or buildings, if you pick up Jesuit Education (highly recommend!), but if you're greedy enough with your land grab, you can win a Culture Victory without using a single Naturalist or Rock Band!

My favourite victory type is Science. Something about the space race just clicks with me.
As far as civs go, I favour lots of cities instead of a smaller core of bigger cities (wide vs tall). I like Australia and Phoenicia, but I also have a soft spot for Norway. Portugal is quite potent in its current form though.

If you liked Maori you may like Bull Moose Teddy as well. With BM Teddy I change things up, promote Reyna first the get Forest Management, pick Earth Goddess (even post-nerf), and then just scramble to get Eurekas and Inspirations in time for my research. Playing the appeal game takes a bit of thought and as such feels very rewarding when it works.

Along with Russia and Mali, Ethiopia runs well on a faith-heavy economy for both culture and religious victories. After some early Holy Sites most cities prefer a TS or trade district first, as the Rock-hewn Church improvement will meet you faith needs. A relics and artifacts based tourism victory. I confess I only played them once and it was with SS (Voidsingers of course) so if you're not into that mode I can't say for sure they won't be a bit frustrating.

My favorite mode is domination victory. My favorites civs are Aztecs and ZUlus.
Strategy: Build units, your enemy will build settlers, and monuments.

My favorite civ is Japan, culture victory on a Large Small Continents map with Barbarian Clans, Monopolies and Corporations, Secret Societies, and Tech Shuffle enabled. Japan is just nuts for racking up adjacency bonuses and building massive megacities filled with districts. The modes can be changed if you don't like a certain one.

Early game I play super aggressive with Divine Wind and try to take cities that interfere with my plans. Develop a really big navy and take a capital or two. Play tall and use your cities in tandem with each other. It''s so fun to watch everything develop and then see it at night with everything lit up and shining. Religion and pantheon doesn't matter much, get Divine Spark if you can.

I have all the cities settled by about turn 100, usually a core of 7 or 8. Maybe in the future I'll get some colonies if a certain civ is really annoying me. After that, yeah, just chill and have fun with your game. Lots of theater squares are always helpful, but I've found that you might struggle with production when your cities have slightly less room to grow. Then just watch the tourism roll in. Owls of Minerva is the obvious choice for my Society, but it's really a pittance of culture compared to what I get from everything else. Vampires might be fun for going on a more domination route.

I tend to like Monumentality civs. Faith is a fun resource to play with, and Monumentality into Grand Master's Chapel (or tourism if playing peaceful) can do a lot of work. Ethiopia is probably my favorite peaceful civ at the moment for this reason. I like the planning around the Rock Churches, which are broken, and if playing with secret societies, Voidsingers creates a deadly combo. I also really like Himiko for this reason. For a more warlike faith game, I like Indonesia a lot. Jongs are fun.

I also like culture heavy civs. Civics seem to unlock more interesting gameplay than techs do in Civ 6 imo, aside from timing pushes with specific units, which are mostly on the tech tree. Gaul are great for this, you get fantastic early timing pushes with archers that guarantee land, and then your mines generate a good amount of culture while keeping your empire high on production.

In general though, the most important property of a civ is how uniquely it plays and how much planning you can do to maximize its bonuses. Babylon is the epitome of this, but it's a bit too broken for my liking. I like Inca a lot at the moment, since the Preserves strategy is really fun with their ability to work mountain tiles.

I tend to like playing medium wide. 15-20 cities is a good sweet spot, though some games I will decide to play tall with 8-12. Less than 8 cities just feels too slow, you just crawl through the civics.

As for game settings, I like playing on quick, with small maps and either on continents and islands or shuffle. Pangaea is a bit boring for me, I want there to be some value to naval development. Shuffle is fun when I want some chaos. I tend to be aggressive early unless I decide at the start to impose a restriction to be peaceful. War can be tedious sometimes and late game dominaton. I pretty much only do Culture, Science or Diplo victories. Domination is too easy and mid game war is tedious. Religious victories are way too tedious. Even Science Victories I often stop once I unlock spaceports. It's not interesting to finish off the victory at that point for me. Culture at least has potential to go to Rock Bands and then enjoy some Rock Band rng and is probably my most common victory type, since I tend to like faith based civs and those have a natural advantage towards tourism.

Game modes: I like Secret Societies but Voidsingers are a bit broken. I like Heroes and Legends but Himiko, Hercules, Anansi and especially Sinbad are very broken. Sinbad by turn 20 is pretty much an auto-win if you have a coastal, he'll buy you 6+ settlers. Himiko is a guaranteed suzerainity + enough faith for at least 2.5 settlers. Hercules is 3 early districts that snowball really hard. Anansi is way too much culture and science early. Corporations mode is probably the best one now that it is not completely broken for tourism. I like the industries, corporations and monopolies systems, and it gives a lot of value to merchants, which I tended not to like very much as great people before. Barbarian clans mode is interesting but it makes early defense and offense very easy since you can buy extremely cheap warriors, upgrade to swords and go kill a neighbor with ease if you have Iron. I still play with all four of these from time to time, but Corporations mode is the only one permanently on. The other game modes I don't like.

Top Bottom