Features Request

FireFrost

Chieftain
I originally posted this thread on the Steam forums, but now it has enough momentum that I'm going to post it here and on the 2K forums as well. It's going to become increasingly difficult for me to manage the threads on all three boards, but I'll do my best to keep all three up to date.

The game is new, and the features we're all looking for may be there, but some of us just haven't found them yet. If you know how to do what someone is asking, please reply and let us all know how.

Here's a request list of things that don't exist, or most of us haven't figured out how to do, along with a few solutions. I'll update the list as people post.

* Build Queue. Need it back. Period. Even more than the queue, we need city "Projects" to be repeatable until ended. The lack of repeatable projects is very annoying at end game if you're taking your time and have several maxed out cities.

* Unit promotions should be integrated into your turn unless someone disables the feature. It's too easy to miss unit promotions.

* Need a military overview so that we can manually manage our entire army. (Partial SOLUTION FOUND, By HallowedKnight: If you select a unit, you see the unit pane at the bottom right. In that unit pane, the units name is a button that brings up the military overview. Why they thought this was a great place to put the button Idk.) This is a good workaround, but we need an actual menu dropdown like in Civ V.

* Sentry function for units needed (wake for nearby enemy unit)

* Requesting that Auto pan and unit selection be able to be turned off.

* Spies - we don't want to have to keep setting a spy to do the same thing every 6 turns.

* Auto Explore - Units will explore forever, even after the entire map is revealed.

* A method to remove districts and housing would be great.

* Multiple terrain skin options for those of us that think the default "skin" sucks.

* The ability to rename cities would be nice.

* Need teams in multi player

* Fog of war explored tiles look like unexplored tiles, especially "Plain" / "Grassland" tiles. They are difficult to tell apart. Be nice if the unexplored Fog of War was a different color, like maybe grey.

* Hills are not "hilly" enough. Many of the icons are also difficult to see.

* Need an option for LARGER fonts.

* Currently we can only build roads one tile at a time. Need a way to build from Point A to Point B. Granted, the automated road system is very nice, but some of us want more - especially now that they're apparently free maintenance.

* The ability to launch nukes from missile cruisers and from cities would be nice. It doesn't have to be from inside "downtown" of the city like in Civ 5 - from a district would work just fine as well. (SOLUTION: I found missile silo's - they can be built by engineers. You can put a silo just about anywhere but a hill)

* Need an option to see turns until city border expansion and location of expanded tile.

* Need to be able to see the path of unit if it was given a multi-turn order.

* Need a diplomacy overview

* Need an option to sort the city overview by population/production/etc.

* Need an option to restart the game without exiting to the main menu.

* The game needs to "remember" the settings for our last played game so we don't have to set map size, difficulty, etc just like Civ V did.

* A more in depth system to manage trade routes would be great - even if this is something included in a future expansion. A lot of us would LOVE to see permanent trade routes(until they're killed or we stop them manually.

* Planes in general are tedious to use. Ones that have completed their turn are indistinguishable from ones that haven't. Also, you have to select the plane, then click on the attack button, and then click on the unti you're attacking. Could we skip that button click?

I welcome all civilized responses(no pun intended). Make this thread good and it may get a sticky. I'll go through and do a more comprehensive feature list once I know that it's not just me.

Lots of great stuff in that post.

Might I add:

- Golden Ages need to make a return

- World Congress is missing from the game

De-clutter the UI, especially the city-screen and the build/buy screens. Fuse all of that into one by bringing back the city-screen.

Hills are not "hilly" enough. Many of the icons are also difficult to see.

Whew! Thought I was the only one having that complaint. Along those lines: Coast and Ocean tiles need to look more distinctive. As it is now, they look too similar for my taste.

S.

* Diplomacy - when the AI is sending requests to build an embassy in my capital and I say 'no' - I'd like to be able to 'turn off' their requests. In the last game I played, France kept sending me requests about every other turn. It was very annoying to have to keep telling them no, no, no, no, no, no . . . . I almost went to war against France just to shut them up. So it would be really nice if there was an option to say, "not at this time, but we'll let you know if we change our minds."

Lots of great stuff in that post.

Might I add:

- Golden Ages need to make a return

- World Congress is missing from the game

De-clutter the UI, especially the city-screen and the build/buy screens. Fuse all of that into one by bringing back the city-screen.

Whew! Thought I was the only one having that complaint. Along those lines: Coast and Ocean tiles need to look more distinctive. As it is now, they look too similar for my taste.

S.

Yes, I've been combing through Civfanatics, steam boards, and the 2k boards to make this list as comprehensive as possible. I have a strong feeling that there being no world congress is intentional. I bet that'll be in a DLC. I'm going to rephrase how I mention the hills, and the icons in general so it's easier to understand. There is a sort of city screen right now, but it takes a couple clicks to get into it. The biggest request from people is that they double click on the city or title to enter it, which I've added as well. This post will be re-updated before I send the final draft to 2K. I'm keeping the one on steam updated, but it's too much work to update them all.

District tiles need to show their work production output (in the 'Manage Citizens' view), at the moment all you get is a change to the city's output totals from which you have to discern the tile's actual production. (or reference the civilopedia + wonders + civics to work it out yourself)

On a related note, I'd like to be able to see where my citizens are working without having to go into a special view.
Really not fond of all this hiding of information behind additional buttons & screens; makes the game far more tedious to play for all the non-casuals.

1. Need to be able to set the number of city-states in a game.
2. Need a backward and forward button in Civilopedia.

There needs to be a way of finding out what the valid improvements for a tile are without having to have an active worker actually standing on the tile. (or referring to the civilopedia)

You know..... like how Civ4 did it.

Also, there needs to be a way of going to the civilopedia page directly from a tile. (whether to read up on the tile type, resource type, improvement type, district type, or wonder)
Though the concept of selecting a tile is completely absent in civ6..... so the only way I can see of doing it is having tooltips you can interact with. (or a right-click context sensitive menu, but I don't think that fits with their ui 'design')

- Opening the civilopedia should give text entry focus to its search box.

- Civilopedia should remember the last page it was open on.

There needs to be a way of finding out what the valid improvements for a tile are without having to have an active worker actually standing on the tile. (or referring to the civilopedia)

Yup. Would be a great help if they simply added the pop-up menu from Civ V (the one that opens up when you hover over a tile long enough). I miss the info in that menu, like tile yield unimproved and how different improvements and techs will change that yield.

S.

When you have researched all techs, future tech should auto renew. There is no point in making the player manually select "future tech" every time when there is nothing else to research. I guess the devs did not expect players to finish the tech tree so quickly.

- Civilopedia needs navigation buttons (back & forward)
- navigation buttons need to be bound to mouse 4 & 5.

City production window needs to make sense.

It should be really simple:
- show construction cost (with a breakdown of the cost modifiers)
- show hammers produced per turn (with a breakdown of where they're coming from)
- show a progress bar that displays hammers invested (dark shade), hammers that will be invested this turn (lighter shade), and empty for the remainder.
- [optional, but preferred] show hammer overflow/carried forward.
- [optional, but preferred] a construction queue.

Basically, Civ4 did it perfectly; Civ6's implementation is not fit for purpose.

- We don't have a breakdown of cost modifiers on construction cost
- the active job (in the city overview) has no tooltips, just a progress bar that represents turns NOT hammers.
- to get at the actual number of hammers invested/remaining, you have to open the 'Change City Production' window
- The 'Change City Production' window itself occludes the city overview (specifically the part dealing with production!)

You end up with garbage like this:

- Horsemen cost 80; this Horseman is at 0/80.
- Why does increasing 31.5 hammers to 34.6 hammers half the number of turns? No idea, because the interface is incapable of telling me!
- Why does the progress bar display this in such an asinine way? because civ6 was written by idiots, for idiots?

Sorry..... this turned into a bit of a rant.
Just so infuriating that simple, fundamental things like this that worked perfectly in the past have been re-implemented in such a dumbass way.
The 1st rule of game development...... play your game!
The 2nd rule of game development...... play your mother f**king game!

Great work man!

1. This will probably be fixed anyway but can you add to the list that numbers should update right away! For example when u switch tiles the number of turns left to grow/complete build must update right away.

2. Many times when I complete something in a city, it shows something else in the 'just completed' bar

3. When it tells me to assign a trade route Id like to see where the previous trade route was. Its abit tedious to keep track of all your trade routes when you have a whole bunch.

I'll keep adding stuff

Yep, the entire city screen UI needs an overhaul. Hiding all the relevant information behind a multitude of buttons and tabs which need to be re-opened every single time is tedious. Why would anyone not want city information presented when entering a city screen (doesn't make sense)? Plus there needs to be more information popups (mouse-overs). If I build a number of things in a city including wonders, Civ6 doesn't appear to have any popups for them so it gives me no information about what they do. The only way would be to go into the Civilopedia (which is also a chore). Basically, the entire interface doesn't appear to have had much in the way user testing (or they just ran out of time - I suspect the latter).

The diplomacy screens need more work too. I couldn't find the civilization name of the leader talking to me in many of these screens. If I'm unfamiliar with the leader and about to make a choice that would affect diplomatic relations (such as possibly going to war with a close neighbour), this is problematic.

Option for turning unit cycling OFF.
Please. Unit cycling drives me crazy.

Sentry option and a Build queue.
OMG how can these two not be in the game? Wtf were you thinking Firaxis?

LENSES are great exploratory devices from the mini-map menu. Yet, some important extra features are missing, IMO.

-- Terrain tiles; I wanna know exactly where specific Deserts or Floodplains (etc) are?!
-- Resources by types (Luxury, Strategy..) and/or uniquely; Gee, where the hell was that oldish'ly (a few turns ago) reveal of precious Oil key-spots?!

Both of which would most likely require sub-Menu options of their own -- to check-mark our requests for whatever we want details about.

:)

Lets keep this thread alive guys, post your ideas here! The devs are not gonna read through all posts so if we can make a compilation of all the features we want it will be easier for them to see it.

I noticed something today that was really annoying. All my great admirals spawned in a tiny lake at my capitol. My capitol had a harbour and i had several other cities with harbours, but still I couldnt press the transfer button since the admirals was inland in a lake. This really needs to be fixed

Top Bottom