FInding The map You want.

KokeenoPokameso

Warlord
I want to play a game on a huge map with Three to Five continents with at least some of them entirely separated by ocean.

- Contents maps: always, seems to, give you 2 contents but no more.

- Fractal maps: sometimes gives few continents but usually gives you a incredibly convoluted and snaky Pangaea.

- Small Continents map: can give you a number of continents but I usually find that I'm on another huge snaky Pangaea or alone on a small Continent.

- Small Continents & Fractal Maps: Even with when you do get continents I find that they can travel around the world hitting each continents with a trireme.

Do you have a hard time finding the maps that you want? Do you know how to get the kind of maps that I am looking for?

For continents, I've seen up to 4 medium sized continents at times. I've also seen snaky pangaea maps on fractal setting, although one time on fractal as Persia (vanilla) I ended up on a small continent by myself with 2 other CS', enough to fit 5 cities comfortably, and ended up dominating that game. With small continents, I've only experienced it once and it seemed to have had about 6 medium sized continents. Another time I tried briefly as Morroco and I had up to 6 civs on one continent.

Maps to recommend: try arboreal. The arboreal map I tried as Poland had several snaky continents but it might give you a huge continent. I assume you won't accept archipelago or large islands.

Try the Communitas mod. It offers some of the most unique maps I've seen in CIV.

I like the Continents map, but I would love more small island full of ruins and barbarians. I love to hunt barbarian paratroopers :) . I remember in vanilla, there was this kind of very small landmass, often located near the poles. All the Cont maps I try are barely made of two big landmass and very few islands. A mix between Continents and Terra would be cool.

I never tried Fractal. Is that suited for a naval civ, such England or Danemark?

I've gotten lucky with Continents once or twice. Once I spawned with 3 or 4 (can't remember how many) continents: one large and two medium (and maybe one small or medium one). It was my first full game and I was playing as Russia, I ended up spawning on the large continent by myself and with two city-states on a disconnected peninsula to the south of me. I was wondering what was going on for half the game and why I couldn't find anyone, and then I started to explore. I found out I was an incredibly large landmass and everyone else was fighting each other for control over these smaller continents and I just said "okay" and tended to my own business. It was probably one of the most low-key games I've ever played now that I think about it, which is hilarious because all peaceful Russia has going for it is +1 production to strategic resources which isn't bad, but at the same time is sort of funny.

It's all about luck concerning how your map turns out, though. I'm also pretty sure Huge (maybe Large as well) Continents maps commonly have >2 continents.

Also, I'm pretty sure there's the Small Continents option for maps if you go under Additional Maps for you guys that want more landmasses in your water.

Map Generator is sometimes weird. Recently I started Continents, didn't like the map, quit and started a new one on Pangaea.

What I got on that new map is basically two continent map, with lot of water (even tho I set it to water level: low), and with just small snaky passage (only 2-3 hex titles wide) connecting those two continents...

Try the Communitas mod. It offers some of the most unique maps I've seen in CIV.

I second this. I am also a HUGE fan of that map scripts' placement of Natural Wonders.
Really, everyone owes it to themselves to try a game with this map script.

Have not checked out the mods yet but I will check out the Communitas Mod. When you use mods are you still eligible for achievements?

I have figured out how to open the world map editor, where I generated many random maps then saved them under unique names. with some I edited them a smig to increase the amount of ocean between various landmasses. It works; but with out specifying exactly where you city spawns, your start location tends to start out week with just one luxury. I rerolled using the same map till I got a start that I liked, and it is working out nicely for me.

Random maps can give you any map and sometimes gives you a map that you would want. You can retry another random map if the previous map wasn't the one you wanted.

Have not checked out the mods yet but I will check out the Communitas Mod. When you use mods are you still eligible for achievements?

If you are using a full mod, no, you can not get achievements. But if you just use the map script, you can. Just put the LUA file in your documents/my games/civilization v/maps folder.

There are better instructions for installing it at the website http://communitas.wikia.com/wiki/Communitas_Wiki

I really think you [everyone] will like the map script.

Top Bottom