(Firaxis: READ) Railroad Movement in Civilization IV

How Should Railroad Movement Work in Civ4?

• 1) Leave as is (units have unlimited movement on RR in single turn)

Votes: 52 32.9%
  • 2) Like Roads Only Higher Bonus (faster units have advantage)

Votes: 28 17.7%
  • 3) Fixed Movement (regardless of unit MP--WAY more complicated than it looks)

Votes: 18 11.4%
  • 4) Capacity Point System (RR movement infinite but limited use per turn)

Votes: 22 13.9%
  • 5) Train Transport Units with Hold (can only use RR/other units ignore RR)

Votes: 16 10.1%
  • 6) Units Teleport Between Cities Connected by Rail (w/range limit)

Votes: 12 7.6%
  • 7) Movement Consumed from Unit's TOTAL available Movement Points (all same) *

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • 8) Get Rid of Them Altogether

Votes: 3 1.9%

• Total voters
dh_epic said:
I think we have some agreement there, no?
Yes.

slightlymarxist said:
As for Railroads, mebbe let ground units in cities with a Train Station "re-base" to other cities on the same continent with a Train Station.
If that's all it takes, then it conflicts with the Airport role (aside from the effects being contintental).

Should still have to build RRs between 'teleporting' cities. Optionally, you could have RRs that appear automatically between cities. Either way, there should be an RR line that can be seen and disrupted. I think all would agree on this point.

Additionally, there has to be a delay (as I mentioned earlier). That is, the speed of the 'train.'

There is a problem with this though: what happens if the RR is blocked/pillaged while units are 'en-route?' Is the teleport cancelled, teleporting units lost, teleporting units appear next to blocked tile?

I would also forget the 'station' TILE-improvement (not talking about the city improvement) and just have units able to telepot to any railroaded square, where the RR is connected to the city being teleported from.

Would like to see tech modify movement rate/delay along RRs. Makes sense to have better RRs or else having non-infinite movement becomes redundant since you can transport units via Airport.

Top Bottom