First turn moving

If I settle on tea, I get a science boost as though it's been improved. Is it not the case if I was to settle on iron that I'd also get a production boost?

If I settle on tea, I get a science boost as though it's been improved. Is it not the case if I was to settle on iron that I'd also get a production boost?
You get an additional science yield for Aluminum, Iron, Mercury & Tea on the (worked) base tile.
Tea is improved by a Plantation (+2 Gold, + 0.5 Housing).
The metals are improved by a Mine (+1 Production, -1 Appeal).

So settling on iron yields extra science like tea as well as the strategic resource respectively luxury (from the base tile), but forfeit the yields from the potential improvements (Mine & Plantation).

short: Science is attribute of Tea, attribute of improvement Plantation is Gold.

I often like to settle on Resources if I can. Not sure if it's a long term mistake. But basically, since you are forced to work the tile the city center starts on, I often find it attractive. It may be the case that the long term benefit is lower. But what it does is provide bonuses early. +1 Hammer or whatever else on turn 10 is a huge bonus versus +2 or even +3 later on IMO. Especially if it helps get Settler out faster or you end up with a low Science or Culture start, where that +1 often means a +25% or so bonus in practice.

I will often settle on a luxury, the only time I will settle on a bonus is when I have a couple of horses and lots more f other tiles I want to improve. The lux can give me early gold from trade or even early friendship in times of trouble.
It's rare I will settle early on iron as it's a great production square and gives a eureka.

Yeah especially in my current Indonesia game on large Earth TSL, my island is only 4 hexes. I can't afford to waste valuable production by settling on those diamonds. I had no choice but to move off into a regular rainforest hex and build my city the next turn. I needed every ounce of production I could get. At least until I built enough galleys to conquer Kyoto, sorry Japan, you were the only one I could reach since Australia was out of reach (until cartography).

Usually the initial square turns out to be a pretty good city for me, so I rarely move. Even when I have more room and production, I often still don't like to build on resources, if I can find a flat hex with water that I can move to and settle on the same turn, I often do.

I always move my warrior first to see if there is a better spot. I end up moving about 99% of the time.

I've settled after turn 20, but that's pretty rare. I try to settle by turn 4.

No one ever mentions game speed in these discussions... it's a pretty large factor since movement doesn't scale, while the % of lost production does.

Regardless, I almost always scout around for a superior spot. Even if I end up back on my starting tile, at least I made an informed decision.

In my current game (@ epic), I wandered for 8-10 turns to get out of a crappy tundra start, and was rewarded with Torres del Pain. Settled on plains/hill right up against it, touching both NW tiles for a double hammer bonus. I wasn't expecting it to actually give me the 4 hammers, but the world was my oyster thereafter :)

I only ever play on standard and often forget to consider the difference that gamespeed can make

Top Bottom