flavour map script(s)

Unser Giftzwerg said:
I've never seen the AI use Spring, but I have seen some pretty feeble Malakim AI realms. :shrug:

Maybe the -25% defense and 2MP cost in deserts prevents the AI from sending adepts in desert tiles. I think the AI won't "plan" to cast Spring, it will just cast it if an adept happens to end his turn on a desert tile, but with the new desert modifiers there's hardly any chance that this will happen. I'll post a duplicate of this in the AI thread.

Jean Elcard said:
First, I really like your map scripts. Thanks for making them. :)

Ouestion: Is it intended hat sentry towers now seem to cluster together? I had a spot on the last map where two towers stand right beside to each other and a third on was only two tiles away.

Thanks. Well, let's call them "map script addons/mods" or something ;) , cause after all the main part of the scripts (i.e. what generates the map) is the work of other people.

About the towers, I don't know how resource placement usually works for bonus resources. It seems to me that at least on some of those scripts the towers can be pretty close together even without my addon. For the addtional towers I put on choke points I could implement a check so they don't end up too close...

Chandrasekhar said:
How about Amurites near as many mana nodes as possible?

hear hear!!

that might work for Sheaim, too, since they are also magicians.. even if they are maniacal ones who kinda suck :)

im really liking the placement of those towers :D

maybe you should somehow remove all the initial towers and only allow the ones at chokepoints?

oh, and if you're making changes could you possibly start doing version numbers on the map scripts? might help with some OOS issues from people having different map script versions (might have had a problem with that earlier, though it coulda been a variety of other things since someone was modding their mod heh)

I'm not so sure about the mana nodes, it's not so much of a terrain flavor thing I think, but maybe I'm going to add it, but with lower priority compared to other civs. Oh btw. it should be relatively simple to change the things the way you want by editing the scripts...

Sureshot said:
im really liking the placement of those towers :D

maybe you should somehow remove all the initial towers and only allow the ones at chokepoints?

oh, and if you're making changes could you possibly start doing version numbers on the map scripts? might help with some OOS issues from people having different map script versions (might have had a problem with that earlier, though it coulda been a variety of other things since someone was modding their mod heh)

yeah I was a little bit in a rush (still am)... but actually there are version numbers inside the scripts, but you probably mean the name of the files? It seems other authors don't include the verson in their script names either, but in principle I could do it.

About the towers: Well, I didn't want to totally remove the old placement method in case of people liking it more (after all, the original purpose of my modification was to leave the map as unchanged as possible). I'm going to at least add some parameters that control these settings so they can be easily changed by editing the scripts. (it's possible now too, probably by editing just one line, but you have to dig deeper to find it).

have you tested the smartmap scripts in multiplayer?

we've had some OOS from the map generator producing either different maps or different start positions, though i can't confirm if we were using different versions or not, but it happened with two different people.

the fractal one worked fine, but havent gotten the smartmap mod one to work yet

I've never touched civ multiplayer before, so no. But do you get the errors only with my modification or also with the original SmartMap? Could you please test that?

View attachment FfH_TEST_SmartMap.zip

ok this is just a very very very wild guess, but I don't have the possibility to test if it helps with the multiplayer problem. Actually, the likelyhood that it solves the problem is so small that the pure thought of it could create a rip in the fabric of space time...

maybe if you do some tests anyway.. ;)

What about a FFH_Terra map? I really like the Terra map, but I also like these FFH maps. If only they could be combined...

uh-oh the thread was revived at the worst moment possible ;) I'm away over the weekend, and gone in five mins. I still plan to add some new things, but if I don't get to them next week, I won't for quite some time, cause I'm away for some weeks after that.

Well but a terra and pangea version shouldn't be a problem, so maybe monday...

tectonics already has pangaea, tho not a proper terra one where no one starts on the new world.

for tectonics, we've played two team games on the mediterranean and both times we've had absolutely no copper on our half of the map.. possible a copper check could be added? i dont mind not having copper near me, but when you got a three person team or have explored over half the map solidly, you should find atleast one copper O_o

How do I put these scripts into my ffh games? Forgive the computational ignorance, but where do I unzip them to?
-Qes

Sureshot said:
your public maps folder, then they will show up as map types :p

ah, thank you.
-Qes

at least this place has internet

Sureshot said:
tectonics already has pangaea, tho not a proper terra one where no one starts on the new world.

for tectonics, we've played two team games on the mediterranean and both times we've had absolutely no copper on our half of the map.. possible a copper check could be added? i dont mind not having copper near me, but when you got a three person team or have explored over half the map solidly, you should find atleast one copper O_o

the FfH mapchecker should place some copper if there's not enough. However, as far as I can see it only guarantees 4.

Apart from that I suggest you comment on the copper thing in the tectonics thread first. If there is a problem, it should be there in general, not only with FfH.

Top Bottom