• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

flavour map script(s)

Did you change the SmartMap or FlavourMaps between 0.16 und 0.22? - Because I had a problem too with starting a new game.

Darklor

You mean (some of) you still use the pre 0.2 versions, which don't use the map/module combination? Well, that would of course explain problems.

Please check out the first post. You need two files, FfH_flavor_mapmod.py, which is the module, and the (current) map script of your choice, both to be placed into the public maps folder.

1. Dreiche2, I know your made you map script mod very easy to implement, but I'm sure there are some players out there which would prefer to get the map scripts in the modified version directly.

I wrote this, because there is a new version of the Tectonics map sript available and the LandMasses map script is becoming very popular too, it seems. You may want to add the newest version of both to the first post.

2. I read some stuff about the two elfish nations lately. Here is a quote:

"During the Age of Magic the elves were ruled by two seperate courts. The Seelie court (the fairer and more spiritual) ruled during the spring and summer and the Unseelie court (the more arcane and malevolent) ruled during the autumn and winter."

Considering this, I think you should put the Ljosalfar in more temperate regions and the Svartelfar should prefer the rather colder parts of this world. Moreover, not only the Ljosalfar are made for the woods. Some forest at the starting location of the Svartelfar would be nice too, flavourwise.

1. I'll definitely look into it, thanks for pointing it out.

2. Forest preference for Svartalfar, and some affinity to cold, sounds reasonable. However, not too much of the latter, cause they don't get a benefit from tundra.

I'm not sure if it's worth emphasizing temperate regions for the Ljosalfar. I mean, every additional condition decreases the amount of likeable starting locations...

Sorry for the double post. My gaming PC broke down :( , I won't be able to do anything till Thursday evening the earliest. See, things like that made me post the do-it-yourself module in the first place. :)

Speaking of starting points, I seem to get an awful lot of starts right at the polar regions. I use the Smartmap version with 12 islands and fractals to run them together to create several irregular landmasses. I use the Smartmap Coastal option for starting placement. Quite often, when I am stuck off at the pole, there is an entire continent-sized mass left empty.

The flavor module only redistributes the starting positions already defined by the map script. It does not change the map, nor does it search for new locations. So if there's only bad locations (or good ones left out/whole continents left empty) the reason should be the map script itself...

Thanks. I will take this up with Surt.

Okay, I added the Svartalfar with forest and some tundra preference, the LandMasses script, and updated the Tectonics script to the newest version:

View attachment FfH_flavor_mapmod.zip
View attachment FfH_LandMasses.zip
View attachment FfH_Tectonics.zip

Note that with all the other map scripts, they themselves haven't changed. You just need to replace the flavor module with the new one in your public maps folder to make the changes apply.

However, like I said, my gaming computer totally broke down, so I cannot test anything :(. So, before I update the first post, could someone test the new versions/scripts? It's mostly about typos and the like, which should result in obviously corrupted maps, so that's easy to catch.

I checked your update out. It's working quite smoothly, besides some Python errors I was able to produce with the LandMasses script. It seems this script is not really ready yet. Nevertheless, your mod was working with it.

The Tectonics script and the new flavour mapmod qualify for getting integrated into the the first post. No problem there at all. Thx.

Jean Elcard:
besides some Python errors I was able to produce with the LandMasses script. It seems this script is not really ready yet.

Would you be able to let me know what problems there were?

Okay, I added the Svartalfar with forest and some tundra preference

I don't think they should have Tundra preference, they should have the same preference as Ljosalfar. And if possible, they should be the Ljosalfar neighbor every time they are both in the game.

Wished you would have started the discussion before I updated the script :)

Any more opinions?

I'm really happy with the changes. It really fits the description of the Svartalvar with their Unseelie court in the winter months and their new preference for Hunting due to the Sinister trait. As you probably know, you get bonuses for fur and deers with the hunting lodge. Both ressources are found in the rather cold regions.

Would you be able to let me know what problems there were?

I will do so in your landmasses script thread.

Dreiche2, since you obviously know your way around, I wonder if you could help me here. These things are probably not in the map program, but I can't find them elsewhere.

First, with ffh_smartmap I'm getting Ancient Towers, which do not appear to do anything. I don't see them anywhere in the Terrains XML files, so where could they be coming from?

[EDIT: On further investigation, I discovered that there is a function for these, though it is not documented.]

Second, I'm not getting any Hill Giants. These are in the UnitInfos file but don't show up on the Smartmap maps, though they do appear in the 'sto' maps.

Not really, because some things changed (resources etc.). At least that's what I've read in another thread.

I wish someone would make a really good FfH map script that has a tunable amount of mana and makes adjustable worlds (like smart map, tectonics etc).

*thread necromancy* Do these work with the BTS .25 release?

I played a single game with FfH flavour LandMasses, and it seemed to work well. Mana nodes were present (3 near me, I was the Amurites :) ) and also I saw Cotton for the first time. I abandoned the game at turn ~350 since it got stuck on "Waiting for other Civs", although I suspect that was an issue with playing unpatched 0.25 rather than the map script.

I definitely agree that a mana node tuning option would be great, too.

Hey there,
I have a question wich is probably already anwered (not perhaps in this thread), but i am a bit of a dumbo if it comes to programmes and changing stuf. But I liked the of the middle east and medeterean (like in TAM) a lot. I think it would be great to play a game on that map, or a standard world map. But how do i convert those maps to FfH, or isnt that even nescasary? (god and my spelling is rusty too ;) )

I hope someone can give me an answer in simple words.....:lol:

Top Bottom