Forestry Operations in Civ3

Eman,

Next game I'm going to give your system a try. Actually I haven't used ###CityName but
##CityName, as after 99 the city is so low on the ranking and corruption is so high it seems pointless. But I have been neglecting forestry because it was too difficult to keep track of what was harvested and what had not. And as mentioned before, now before I start a game as a chosen civ, I do go into the editor and change the names for the 25 cities. I think now it makes more sense to have a list of 100 cities in the editor. The best way I have found to do this, is to create the list in a spreadsheet or doc file and paste into editor city name field. That way, my name list is not lost when civ gets patched and I don't have to rename each city, as they automatically get the name I want.

Thanks for the hints.

PF

planetfall said:
I think now it makes more sense to have a list of 100 cities in the editor. The best way I have found to do this, is to create the list in a spreadsheet or doc file and paste into editor city name field. That way, my name list is not lost when civ gets patched and I don't have to rename each city, as they automatically get the name I want.PF
Very Interesting idea! :goodjob:

I wonder how other CFCers are renaming their cities to help them PLAY the game?....for me, for Milk Runs, Forestry Operation Tracking is a MUST! :)

A "Milk Run" is where you play a Civ game, usually on a Huge random map to score the maximum points you can get.

"Milked" games could have been won earlier, BUT would not score as high as if they are "Milked" all the way to 2050AD.

The highest scores in the CFC Hall Of Fame (HOF) are ALL "Milked" games.

So a "Milk Run" is a game played until 2050AD, with the purpose of getting the highest score possible! :)

Example: The latest GOTM game results show that DaveMcW won the Gold Medal by "Milking" the game to 2050AD. :goodjob:

OK, I got a chance to test, and EMan is indeed right. When the game scans the first ring from the forest tile, it starts with the tile NE of the city (tile #2), not the tile N of the city. I edited the post with the image to include a clarifying note.

The second ring is correct - it does indeed start with tile #9 (not #10.)

Thanks for checking it out T-hawk. :goodjob:

AND, thanks to Bartleby for suggesting the correct sequence! :goodjob:

Helps if you upload the image.

Attachments

• 2_small.gif
    2_small.gif
    58.9 KB · Views: 465
I'm inbetween games now so I thought it might be good to review my city naming ideas and then put the new names in the editor for all civs. Here is what sounds good to me now, are there any ideas for improvment?

See image for summary. Here is the key to the citying naming convention.

Breakout
### - num of city when founded
Optional components
FP=FP
SPH=SPH
IW=IW
P=port
F=fort
S=science wonder
Name
1..8, tile number is lumbered, or na
x== all ring one tiles worked
a..l, tile letter is numbers, or na
X== all ring two tiles worked

Examples
Conventional names
001Moscow_1234567abcdefghijk == 29 characters
001Moscow_xX==12 char
040_SPH_Leningrad_1234567abcdefghijk == 36 char
040_SPH_Leningrad_xX== 26 char

No names
Longest names
040_SPH_1234567abcdefghijk ==40 char
001_1234567abcdefghijk== 23 char
Shortest names
040_SPH_xX==10 char
001_xX==6 char

Since I don't like to type too much, I am thinking of following Eman's practice and drop the city name. The parts inside the braces are optional, and the lumbering numbers inside the square brackets and acceptable names.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

PF

Attachments

• namconvention_small.gif
    namconvention_small.gif
    86.6 KB · Views: 400
Nice work planetfall! :goodjob: (AND thanks for the image, too!)

The only thing I do differently is sometimes put "x8" instead of "1234567".....that way I know I only have one forest square to chop on the inner ring and, it shortens the city name.

It would be interesting to hear what other people are doing!?...........PERHAPS we're the only 2 people at CFC using "functional" city names! :lol:

P.s. Suggest you open a thread entitled "City Naming Conventions" in the Tips thread! :)

EMan said:
Nice work planetfall! :goodjob: (AND thanks for the image, too!)

Thanks. I tried my first game using your system. It works like a charm, although I have gotten away from serious forestry work as it takes just too darn long.

I put the first 100 names in all civs and it is so easy to ID the key cities. What is funny is to see how the city ownership changes but name remains. In current game England's capital is 04_Kore. [I limited the civ name to 4 chars]. I really like the ease in counting other civs cities and the ease of finding their key production centers.

The only problem with the naming convention is I miss some of the old city names, like London, Moscow, Paris, etc. The names are all in a spreadsheet and it doesn't take too long to paste them into the civ's list of city names. Since we don't expect more patches for C3C, this should be a one time event.

PF

Ainwood's CivAssist II utility offers another option for keeping track of forested tiles. On the World Map page right-click on the map and switch on the "Shield Forest" option. It does show which tiles the AI has harvested, though, if you consider this an exploit (albeit a minor one).

Top Bottom