Forum Layout/Organization

Strider

In Retrospect
This should be expanded upon as we move along. This discussion is for the general organization of the forums (go figure). Incase you have noticed (which you should have, unless your blind, inwhich case I'm extremely sorry), we have several sub-forums (well, three to be exact). To start this discussion off, lets decide on where we want some of the 'general' threads in.

Threads
Rule Discussions
Government Related (not official government threads)
Legislative Roleplay
Newspapers
Information Office Related
Save/turnchat Related

Forums: I've already put Polls, Save/Game Discussions, and Government Offices in there usual catergories.
Polls Subforum
Polls

Discussions Subforum
Save/Game Discussions

Government Subforum
Government Offices

Main Forum
Constitution
FAQ
Help Threads

-------

Basically, just pick one of the thread types under the bolded threads section and stick it into the sub-forum that you think it belongs. I'll add more thread types as time goes on.

Main Forum
Citizen Registry
FAQ
Constitution
Screenshots
Turnchat Related Stuff (+ summaries)

Citizens Forum
Office Discussions (goals of a city)
Military Plans
Trade Proposal
All Official's Discussions Pertaining to their Office
Roleplay (no RPG forum)
Newspapers
Rule / Constitution Discussions

Government Forum
All official government threads (term threads) + Info Office + Election Office

Polls Forum
Where all polls go.

If you aren't an official, then there is no need to post a thread in the Government Forum. There should only be XY number of threads in the Government Forum, where X is the number of offices, and Y is the current term number. This is basically what we've always done.

I agree totally with Ginger Ale's post. This is no change from what we have now in Civ3 DG7, and there is no need to change it. One thing is missing though, the nominations and elections belong in the main forum.

The one thing I'd do is axe the discussion registry, poll registry, government registry type threads. They only cause needless hassle and provide next to no value.

There are several "registry" stickies that would be useful, and easy to keep up.

Government Offices Registry:
Name says it all, a stickied thread inside of the Government forum that has the current government (and there related thread) for each term. Whoever handles the elections can update the registry when each term comes around.

Citizen Groups Registry
Change the name to something more broad (I can't think of a name, possibly Misc.?). Anyway, this should be a Registry for Citizen Groups, Newspapers, and RPG-related threads.

Polling Standards:
Okay, this should just be a stickied thread with the current Polling Standards in the first post. The rest of the thread can just be used liked the unsuccesful Polls Registry in the past. However, the Standards being located inside of the Polls forum (and in a each to reach area) is crucial.

------------

Also, we could possibly re-create all of the registry's, and then try to increase use of them. Mainly by forcing elected officials to use the registries.

I could use a little help here...

Please explain how the various registries actually help. Is there something which is particularily hard to find? I could see having an accurate list of current threads, but can't see how it will ever be kept accurate. Also what we would really need would be a single post containing all the references which everyone can edit -- no such capability exists.

Wait -- what about the forum itself? If you know who started a thread, sort by the thread starter column. If you have an idea what its name is, sort by thread name. Go back to the default last updated sort to find the most recent one... :D

Attachments

• threadsort.JPG
    threadsort.JPG
    135.5 KB · Views: 107
Top Bottom