Fra Mauro's map

MaisseArsouye

gentil petit nuton
Does anybody wonder chy Rambuchan is so nice with me ? Why does he love every map I make ? Well, actually he was waiting for this : ( @Rambuchan : just kidding ;) )

Fra Mauro's map

Size : 180X180
Ressources : random
No starting locs

Based on an old map by Fra mauro.

This might ( will ? ) be used in a "fantasy middle-age" scenario.

http://users.skynet.be/maissearsouye/civ/cartes/framauro.zip

:evil: Now that the map is made and I have the DL: Let me say that you are the worst map maker around here. I never really thought your maps were any good. And yes I was lying every time.

Joking of course! Actually it's the quality of the map making that made me so sure I would like each one you've posted recently. Anyway, that's what I meant when I said I knew I would like them. I ain't that cynical and manipulative man. :lol:

Looking at it now and I can see that it is going to fit the scenario I mentioned very well. Far better than I thought actually. Thank you sir! :worship: I shall continue watching for your work.

You gotta admit folks: He's churning out some real works of art here!

EDIT: In the spoiler is the original map this was made from. I have flipped it over 180 degrees as it originally had south at top, like virtually all later medieval maps. (Early dark ages saw maps oriented with East at top).
Spoiler :

Rambuchan said:
You gotta admit folks: He's churning out some real works of art here!
Well, that's almost to be expected. He's a professional geographer, so I hear!

Just to let you know Maisse: I loaded this map up last night, just as a standard game, to check certain aspects of the map's dynamics for the scenario. Well I reckon some really good standard rules games can be played on this. Africa is massive, you can really get lost in it. Africa is also quite a feat to sail around (perfect for the scenario) and the whole coastline of Asia is totally unrecognisable for sailing around (again, perfect!). Eg. Africa being some 90+tiles long down the west coast alone and India some 120 tiles from the western med.

You get the feel of playing on a global map but there is definitely something strange and different about the experience. Nice!

Hey Maisse, is there a city limit set on this or is it defaulting to one? I'm trying out a game with just standard rules, straight onto the map in your upload (this is not the one I've begun modifying in creating the scen btw) and I've found that I've hit a city limit. Any ideas?

Hi Everyone1 I'm back after a while. Great map! I am making a fictional rome scenario, i would be homred to use your map. Great! I abasolutley love it!

Use it for any scenario. BTW, every members are free to use every creation I posted the way they want. I just want a little credit ;)

@Rambuchan : sorry, I just didn't care about city limits. I don't know how to change it. This is why I'm not so bad at map designing but a disaster at making scenario ;)

OK no worries Maisse. I'll get it checked out and return the answer here for others who may come across this.

Here is the answer to the city limit I encountered:
Ginger_Ale said:
No, the city limit is hardcoded at 512 regardless of map size - it's just that until you start going beyond regular map sizes (unless you ICS on huge), you won't encounter that limit.

Rambuchan said:
Hey Maisse, is there a city limit set on this or is it defaulting to one? I'm trying out a game with just standard rules, straight onto the map in your upload (this is not the one I've begun modifying in creating the scen btw) and I've found that I've hit a city limit. Any ideas?

You making another scn? Can't wait to see it.
Feel like trying this map anyway. It looks good.

Yes johnnyjal, I've played an epic standard rules game on this map and it rocks. Lots of interesting areas and the strange similarities, yet utter differences, with the usual world map make for some very intriguing play.

(And yes, I'm making another scenario, very slowly and carefully. On this map, which means it's going to be a whacky medieval fantasies one. We're also going to be issuing an upgrade for the Mughals, finally!)

NOTE: I have edited in the original Fra Mauro map into my first post in this thread, it's in the spoiler at foot of that post. I will be writing more about these kind of maps in the Imago Mundi thread in History. Enjoy!

Thumbnail:

Top Bottom