Friendly village tip

Apolex

Chieftain
So you know all those friendly villages you find on islands when you first get your galleys going? They're nice and all, but at that point their rewards don't seem to be so wonderful. Yeah, 25 gp here, a caravan there. By that time, I'm usually getting that much gold in a couple of turns anyway. And if it's a free technology, not such a big deal. I would have gotten Masonry or some such in a couple of turns anyway.

So I started stashing my little militia guys there next to them and not going in yet. I wait as long as possible to get them, of course while making sure that some other civ doesn't get them. When I'm ready for a quick tech rush, I make sure there aren't any overlooked dinky techs that I haven't reasearched, and then I start grabbing the huts. Usually at least one of them will be a tech, and give me invention, combustion, whatever. Sometimes i'll get 2-3 techs and really jump past the other civs. I found it pretty useful to save them up. You just have to make sure other civs aren't within enough squares with their boats to come steal them from you.

didnt think of that, good idea. I'll have to try that, especially with the spanish and their early galleons

Yeah, I did it with the Spanish last night and got 2 good techs again. I've seen people talking about delaying getting the Atlantis relic for the same reasons - you don't want your tech boost to be with Alphabet, Horseback Riding, and Pottery.

This is one of my favorite tricks in the game.

And I love it when the "uncivilized" and supposedly inferior tribe teaches me how to be a Democracy or build tanks! :D

Thanks, backwards and inferior people!

I like to do this with other relics too - especially if I know the great person relic has been found. The one that gives temples/cathedrals is a great one to stalk. Wait for your civ to grow by a lot of cities and rush whatever temples you can get. Then BAM you have tons of cathedrals. The relic that gives the superior unit I can usually wait on as well.

With Atlantis, I like to save up a great scientist or two. If you time it well, you can get your three techs from the relic and then use a nice beeline with your scientists to get some very advanced techs on everyone. Great for getting flight then advanced flight in succession and very early.

Never thought to do this with the gift towns as well. I notice that with relics you can build a city near them and have the relic in your cultural boundaries without "setting it off". Handy to keep the land ones out of competitors' hands unless they are at war with you. Will this work the same way regarding the villages?

I often "stockpile" Atlantis. If I find the one that give temples/cathedrals I rush temples as fast as I can so I can get cathedrals. More Culture-->More Great People!

One added comment - I put a city down next to a friendly village, and you CAN have it within your borders without 'popping' - as as with an artifact. Could be a way to keep others away from them until you want to activate (Unless at war). Of course, you won't be able to work the special tiles underneath them....

Top Bottom