Full Phoenician civilization (3d-ani-era)

CivArmy s. 1994 said:
Xyth, I'll use your city list, I'll just remove the Cathargenean (and Greek) ones ;) About these leaders, what of them could fit for military ones?

All these leaders would suit being military leaders.

Xyth said:
Sorry for hijacking your thread CivArmy. Your LH looks really good and I hope to use it when it is finished.

No problem ;) :) So, I'll use that list for military ones and I will re-add the cities with Greek names. Thanks for all that new data about this new civ! :goodjob:

Bjornlo said:
I lived in Helsinki for 4 years and barely learned any Finish. Still got along quite well, had alot of friends that sometimes talked funny and sometimes talked so I could understand them. (I spoke Norwegian & swedish).
A friend of mine (a Swedish scientist, actually), had a similar experience. Mandatory teching of Swedish oin schools does that :rolleyes: . The main point of course was the fact that about 6% of Finns speak Swedish as their first language.

Actually this Phoenicians/genetic relations discussion reminded me of an article concerning exactly this topic I read a year ago in the National Geographic magazine. I have to read it again and later post a short synopsis of its conclusions.

Bjornlo, you lived in Helsinki :eek:! I'm a Finn (half Finnish / half German, actually) myself, that's why I chose that example.

I haven't really read the thread, just looked at the pictures. ;) But I think he looks too european, weren't the Phoenicians Semitic? That means an Arab/Jewish look. This guy could fit as an ancient Iberian or something like that. :)

Well, this is my image reference for this leader:

And this is the Ancient and Medieval Ages for the same leader, I did little changes in his face.

I think the people who used to live in Mediterranean, as south of Europe, north of Africa and coast of Mid East, case of Phoenicians, have some similar tracks in them faces, maybe for this reason he looks like European from Italy/Spain. I did few changes to try give him more Hebraic/Arabbean look, if someone has more suggestions to do that, post ;)

Bjornlo said:
based on your reference image, it is VERY good.

maybe the reference was done by a European artist and maybe he used European elements in Hiram's face that turns him closer of European

CivArmy s. 1994 said:
maybe the reference was done by a European artist and maybe he used European elements in Hiram's face that turns him closer of European
Thats what I assumed as soon as I saw the image. For example, most medievel renditions of Jesus have him looking rather Euro as well. I would suspect he looked rather more jewish.

Of all your leaderheads, this one is my favorite.

Bjornlo said:
Thats what I assumed as soon as I saw the image. For example, most medievel renditions of Jesus have him looking rather Euro as well. I would suspect he looked rather more jewish.

Of all your leaderheads, this one is my favorite.

Maybe this is the case. Well, I will continue the LH how it is, I think the last changes in his face turn the face more Mid Easter and less European. BTW, thanks for have enjoyed more one LH Bjorn! :)

You know that I appreciate your work really much, but I have to critizise this one. IMO he just looks too European. He should look similar to an Arab. Maybe give him black and slightly curly hair?

As you pointed out yourself, the artist who painted the image you used as a reference was clearly European, and he probably couldn't imagine what an ancient mid-eastern king looked like.

And about the hat he's wearing, I've seen pictures of Chechens or other people from the Caucasus area wearing such hats, but it doesn't fit to a Phoenician leader, IMHO.

Aion said:
You know that I appreciate your work really much, but I have to critizise this one. IMO he just looks too European. He should look similar to an Arab. Maybe give him black and slightly curly hair?

As you pointed out yourself, the artist who painted the image you used as a reference was clearly European, and he probably couldn't imagine what an ancient mid-eastern king looked like.

And about the hat he's wearing, I've seen pictures of Chechens or other people from the Caucasus area wearing such hats, but it doesn't fit to a Phoenician leader, IMHO.

I think if I darker the skin color and turn the beard black his face could looks like more Mid Easters and less European ;) I'll try do little changes in his face too. I think his clothes r okay. Wel, when I finish the other two eras I post the 4 eras with the changes :goodjob:

varwnos said:
You didnt do the UU yourself! How lazy of you! That means that you only made two new lh's + 1 UU this week.

:lol: Actily this week I did the Peruvian, Etruscan, Phoenician and Kushan LHs plus the Peruvian UU plus reconfig many parts of ACM and CivArmy's Mod :lol: , so, 4 LHs, 1 UU and 2 reconfigs :lol:
BTW, the Phoenician leader is better now, I have to post the new views when I finish.

Well, I like it much more now :)! The ancient era looks very good. I don't know if the turban-like thing on his head is realistic, but it looks cool :D. The last two eras are also good. Only the second era looks a little weird, especially the hat. But well, it's your decision, of course :). And I like the background, you seem to put quite much effort in them.

Aion said:
Well, I like it much more now :)! The ancient era looks very good. I don't know if the turban-like thing on his head is realistic, but it looks cool :D. The last two eras are also good. Only the second era looks a little weird, especially the hat. But well, it's your decision, of course :). And I like the background, you seem to put quite much effort in them.

I agree, he looks like more Mid Easter now, well, the turban is Indian and the hat of the second era is a female hat from 60' or 70' I think that looks like the hat that I saw in a pic of people of this civilization :D I think the turban gives to him more Mid Easter look (in spite of it is not from this region) and I don't have a closer prop to use in the Medieval Age. We have to work with what we have :D

It looks more eastern-mediterranian to me now too.
I was wondering about the nose. the base of his nose seems a little close to his upper lip to me. Lebonese are typically depicted as having a nose that sticks out well away from his face. The lebonese are the descendents of the Phoenicians and seem to have noses that stick out there a bit.

I think the overall look is really good - I would have given him a larger turban or none at all in the first pic and probably would have gone with something middle eastern rather than the western top hat, etc for the industrial but those are taste choices - the work itself is phenomenal!

Last note - how did he look without the hat in the second pic?

Top Bottom