G-Major C

aafritz17

Escaping
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.

(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:

• Expansion: Brave New World
  • Victory Condition: Diplomacy (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: King
  • Map Size: Standard
  • Map Type: Pangaea
  • Speed: Standard
  • Leader: Any
  • Opponents: Must include Austria, Greece, Morocco, Polynesia, Siam, Sweden, Venice
  • Version: SV8
  • Date: 1st to 31st October 2019
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Last edited:
Just a thought, but perhaps you might want to extend these two current gauntlets until the end of November.

With the update and this gauntlet-dedicated forum coming out so late in the month (no worries on that at all, of course, updates are great!),
it stymies discussion and generating interest in these two.

To be honest, these are two ideal gauntlets for better participation-- The G Minor is low level science with Poland, which is a home run as far as ease of entry and fun gameplay with the Polish social policies, and the science victory is maybe the most popular..
The G Major is an any civ gauntlet, which REALLY needs more time to give people the chance to try different nations. I think with longer time to talk about them on the forums and give people chance to get in games, we might get some more entries.

Just think it might be a consideration to extend these until November's end. Thanks.

Last edited:
For this centennial G Major C, I think Poland, Korea, and Spain have to be the main contenders.

Polish social policy UA, Korean Science UA, and Spain's chance for the Natural Wonder Wonderstart all could make for a fun steamroll win, even on King level. The Pangaea map makes a "conquer all but two AI civs and race to Atomic Era to trigger vote" game very possible, but King Level makes it a bit trickier from happiness and conquering perspectives. King is the least friendly level for me, as AI civs are good enough to fight wars, grab city state allies, and snipe wonders, but not very mindful of barbarians and acquiring cash as much as higher level foes are. Happiness and gold are bigger issues at this level as well.

Going pure "Race to Globalization" strategy to trigger World Leader vote is very tempting with the three civs mentioned above.

Just a thought, but perhaps you might want to extend these two current gauntlets until the end of November.

With the update and this gauntlet-dedicated forum coming out so late in the month (no worries on that at all, of course, updates are great!),
it stymies discussion and generating interest in these two.

To be honest, these are two ideal gauntlets for better participation-- The G Minor is low level science with Poland, which is a home run as far as ease of entry and fun gameplay with the Polish social policies, and the science victory is maybe the most popular..
The G Major is an any civ gauntlet, which REALLY needs more time to give people the chance to try different nations. I think with longer time to talk about them on the forums and give people chance to get in games, we might get some more entries.

Just think it might be a consideration to extend these until November's end. Thanks.

I am totally okay with an extension. Thoughts from anybody else, either way?

I am trying Attila, thinking quick conquest (obviously), but, @zenmaster, you are so correct about the happiness issues.

Twice Alex gave me a new expo before I finally took his cap. Should have torched 'em I suppose, but they both had unique luxuries, so I didn't. Now I'm hammering his remaining city to 0 every turn with one well-promoted HA, but Morocco won't bring a single melee unit to the party. He keeps sending archers and catapults, but "Dude, please take that last city, I won't be able to bear all the crying!!"

I am trying Attila, thinking quick conquest (obviously), but, @zenmaster, you are so correct about the happiness issues.

Twice Alex gave me a new expo before I finally took his cap. Should have torched 'em I suppose, but they both had unique luxuries, so I didn't. Now I'm hammering his remaining city to 0 every turn with one well-promoted HA, but Morocco won't bring a single melee unit to the party. He keeps sending archers and catapults, but "Dude, please take that last city, I won't be able to bear all the crying!!"

Haha, the old "hope the other civ takes the capital" gambit has been long lamented. I don't even try as it is tough to count on those other monarchs :). Good luck!!

I am first trying with Poland. Starting city terrain wasn't that great, but there are a nice mix of city-states and there are good expansion spots.
There is a long isthmus, albeit three-wide, to get to the last civs I will need to conquer, so we will see how it goes. Taking on expansion cities is not ideal at these settings as you are finding. Taking an expansion as a base to buy units for conquest is not ideal here either, as I like to spend my gold buying science buildings, as science ( along with Great Scientist production) needs to ramp fast to get to the Atomic Age with any speed.

Hi there,
This is my first try with Gauntlets, so I am not sure how to submit a game. Is it through the "normal" HOF proceedings or what? Anyway, I picked Mongolia and went for the first roll to make it more interesting and only finished on t284. The starting location was good, even if there were no horses nearby and as a bonus I also had Austria very close. That was nice, because I could take them out early. But my main enemies; Greece (obviously) and Morocco (left them alone too long) were far away behind tedious terrain (Sparta was the gateway to Greece and it could be attacked from exactly one (1) tile). So it took forever to conquer them, even with Keshiks. At the Globalization vote, I left Polynesia and Siam alive. I managed to save all CS but one, and I also passed Order as global ideology as well as my religion as global religion. All in all a quite enjoyable game, even on King.

Hi there,
This is my first try with Gauntlets, so I am not sure how to submit a game. Is it through the "normal" HOF proceedings or what? Anyway, I picked Mongolia and went for the first roll to make it more interesting and only finished on t284. The starting location was good, even if there were no horses nearby and as a bonus I also had Austria very close. That was nice, because I could take them out early. But my main enemies; Greece (obviously) and Morocco (left them alone too long) were far away behind tedious terrain (Sparta was the gateway to Greece and it could be attacked from exactly one (1) tile). So it took forever to conquer them, even with Keshiks. At the Globalization vote, I left Polynesia and Siam alive. I managed to save all CS but one, and I also passed Order as global ideology as well as my religion as global religion. All in all a quite enjoyable game, even on King.

Nice game! Conquering with the Mongols is always fun.

Yes, submitting it as a normal HoF game will get it included in the gauntlet competition automatically.

Please note - end date extended to 11/30/19.

Hi there,

Hey, @Nizef, welcome to the Gauntlets!

Yes, Gauntlet games are simply HOF submissions, we just publish a given set of conditions so we can all play a (relatively) common game while we're adding to our personal HOF entries. The Gauntlets have been running for a month (although we're letting the current ones go for October and November), and only games submitted during the published time frame are scored as part of the competition.

For example, G-Major L was Emperor, Standard Size, Standard Pace, Small Continents, Japan, Culture Vic, and it ran for July 2014. If you pull up the Gauntlet table, you'll see 7 players submitted games. But if you pull up the HOF table for that same set of conditions, you'll see those same 7 games PLUS there are 4 other games listed. Three of those were played outside the time frame for the Gauntlet, while the 4th was a Gauntlet-player's second entry to the Gauntlet (only your best entry is scored for the competition).

You should also know about the Veni Vidi Vici (VVV) tables. Every game you've ever had published in the HOF is part of your VVV. The VVV is about having made every possible choice of the 6 basic conditions that define an HOF table - namely;

Difficulty (there are 8 choices)
Victory Condition (5 choices)
Map Size (6 choices)
Game Pace (4 choices)
Map Type (20 choices)
Civilization (43 choices)

The way I see it, there are two goals for the VVV - first, to complete it, second, to increase your scores. I finally completed my VVV a few months ago, now I occasionally find one of my lower scores (it's easy, there are a bunch... :mischief:) and play for a better submission. Technically, one can complete the VVV with 43 submissions (one for every leader, but making sure at least one of them with each of 20 maps, each of 8 difficulties, etc.)

Please note - end date extended to 11/30/19.

Thanks for the extra time! Can try a few civs now.

Gave up on first Polish game, as my base of cities wasn't all that great and the remaining conquest looked like a tester.
My current Poland game features a bunch of mountain fortified AI capitals, and a very expansion-friendly region, so I am trying an 8 city Liberty run to Globalization. Getting to Education is on the slow side going this route, but I am hoping to snowball well as my 8 cities kick into gear after public schools. Won't compete with a perfect conquest run to Atomic theory, but it looks interesting to play out. Expanding like crazy with the Poles is always fun, as their extra policies help relieve the happiness stress.

May try Babylon next. Getting the Babylonian Great Scientist boost to help get to Printing Press and Atomic Theory on the early side should augment a conquest strategy well.

If I remember correctly, when one reaches the appropriate era to trigger the U.N., a regular vote has to happen first, before the winnable leader vote will occur, right?

In other words, if a regular vote occurred a couple of turns before the era change, the next vote would be a leader vote, but it's still for the World Congress, not for the U.N. (so not "winnable").

So good timing means getting to the triggering era right BEFORE the next regular vote.

(I think I have posed this correctly - I know that I've experienced something like this in the past, something that made me go through an extra vote cycle, much to my dismay!)

Hey, @Nizef,
Difficulty (there are 8 choices)
Victory Condition (5 choices)
Map Size (6 choices)
Game Pace (4 choices)
Map Type (20 choices)
Civilization (43 choices)

The rest I get, but which are the 20 different map types? Where can I look them up? I have something like 60 different maps to choose from and they all came along when I bought the game???

If I remember correctly, when one reaches the appropriate era to trigger the U.N., a regular vote has to happen first, before the winnable leader vote will occur, right?
Yeah, that's right. Era change just triggers the "choosing a host" vote (which is a 2 turn delay, so if you're doing a one-vote win, you actually have 34 turns to reach Atomic/Info rather than 30). Once the UN is founded, normal votes are alternated with world leader votes.

The rest I get, but which are the 20 different map types?
The maps are listed here: http://hof.civfanatics.net/civ5/rules.php\

I went with Babylon for my first try here and got really lucky with the map. Mountain/desert/salt capital, two mountain expos, 5 total cities with 8 luxuries within their borders! I played peacefully (besides the phony wars to get peace deals) and won on turn 181 (180 in HoF), which should be competitive with warlike games.

Attachments

• 20191031084348_1.jpg
    20191031084348_1.jpg
    596.8 KB · Views: 140
The following are the results of G-Major C.

Rank Player Date Turn Score Options
vadalaz 1200 AD 180 4252
Nizef 1826 AD 283 4600
3 aafritz17 1886 AD 313 2848
4 Sir Bugsy 1927 AD 347 4213
5 skadecka 1932 AD 352 5455

Congrats to vadalaz on another superb game!

Congrats to Nizef and aafritz on well earned medals! I bow to the honorable choice of Mongolia as Nizef's nation. Hail to the Wolf Totem! :c5war:

Congrats to skadecka on a gold medal for score! 5000+ is very nice on this one.

Glad so many got good games in. I was unable to play for awhile but am hoping to get in this month's gauntlets.

Happy Holidays to all!

Top Bottom